What's new

what would you say is the best value for money de blades? sharpness, smoothness, cost etc

Except Feathers HI -Stainless,Wizamets/Polsilvers and Gillette Rubies ,pretty much everything else ...

In my opinion, the best value in the DE blade world is ASTRA Superior Platinum.

1621391982741.png

If they ever become unavailable, the next best value would be... never mind, I don't care. Got that one covered.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
+1 on the blade sampler idea. Your face, technique, and equipment all change over time and the blade that's perfect today is the very one that you'll hate in a year or two. And +1 on the idea that blades are cheap. You're talking about saving a few bucks a year. Fugetaboutit!

But then, you wanted specific recommendations. So okay, the Astra SP is cheap and wildly popular. I don't like it personally because, for me, it doesn't last very long. But I seem to be the only one saying that so feel free to ignore my complaint. My personal economy choice would be the Gillette Platinum. To me, it shaves the same as the GSB but it's a good bit cheaper. If you want another blade, the Nacet is the poor man's Feather. Not quite as good, but oh, the price!
How long do the Platinum's last in comparison to the GSB? I've long been a fan of the GSB and Astra SS.

I have a Gillette a kind friend here gifted me but I've never tried it yet....I need to remedy that, maybe tomorrow?

How long do the Platinum's last in comparison to the GSB? I've long been a fan of the GSB and Astra SS.

I have a Gillette a kind friend here gifted me but I've never tried it yet....I need to remedy that, maybe tomorrow?
Platinums seem pretty similar to GSBs in how long they will last.

Eben Stone

Staff member
If you're interested in low cost per shave, I've had good results with Dorco ST301, Gillette London Bridge, and Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. Based on my testing, amazon/ebay prices, the ST301 (10 shaves per blade) and London Bridge (20 shaves per blade) are approx $0.01/shave. G7Y (9 shaves per blade) is $0.02/shave. Obviously your results will be different.

After starting those tests I realized, IMO, the cost of the blades is not all that important. As long as you're not buying the most expensive blades, and getting a few shaves per blade, just buy whatever gives you great shaves.

Last edited:
Again, I have to reach back in my daily shave logs to when I was using modern blades but for me one of the biggest surprises was Rapira Swedish Super Steels. Smooth, sharp enough blade at a great price. Became one of my regulars right off the bat along with Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows, Dark Blues, Gillette Silver Blues, and Polsilver and Wizamet Iridiums.

My 2c:
I use a DE blade at most twice (once each side), but for the past 100 or so only toss the blade after 1 use. My formula is
b / (t*p) where b is either 0 or 1 depending on whether the blade works for me (1) or not (0), t stands for the times I used the blade (1 or 2) and p is the price per blade. By this formula, Tiger Platinum leads my list so far (tried 15 blades up to date), tightly followed by Voskhod (good, but less consistent).

I've never pushed a Platinum to see how far it would go, but they're a quality blade, Gillette after all, and they seem to last as long as a GSB. Personally, I buy the GSB. See above about the cost of blades being trivial. For a few dollars a year, why not go first class? I also use a lot more Feathers than Nacets, although I do keep a hundred Nacets on hand. The price difference is more significant there, tens of dollars a year.

honestly dorco titans at £2.99 delivered has to be the best value for money, sharp and smooth too

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
For me...the stand out is...Derby Premium...YMMV. On Amazon in the US, 100 Derby Premium are just under $10. Again, for me, this blade really comes into its own on the 2nd through the 5th shaves with it. The 1st shave with it, there's a lot of tactile feel...but it loses much of that on subsequent shaves. Anyway...that's my face. Many folks do not like Derby blades...PERIOD! End of all paragraphs! Doesn't matter which ones. But I find the Derby Premiums to be pretty good.

So...with time comes experience.

Sharp Titanium...$8.99 for 100 on Amazon. For me, this blade beats out Gillette Silver Blue.

For strong whiskers: ASCO/Silver Star/Lord Platinum
For softer: Shark SS/Lord Cool
I wholeheartedly think that Lord blades have a perfect balance of cost and effectiveness. All these blades cost 10 euros for 100 blades.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
100 blades will last me between one and two years. It makes no difference if those 100 blades cost me £2 or £20. If I am going to use blades for two years then I would rather buy what I want with no regard to cost, given that the difference is so insignificant. It is not worth my time and effort to shop around.

To answer the OP question, pound for pound, Astra SPs seem to be the unequivocal choice for the best low-cost option based on popularity, but Astras don't shave like feathers, GSB, or any other blade that trends up to the sharper end of options. There are lower-cost alternatives that shave similar to those on the sharper end, like Nacets for Feather, or Gillette Yellows for GSB, which are 10-20 dollars cheaper while getting you 95% the way there to shaving like the more expensive options. One of the best sub $10 blade options are the Indian Wilkenson Sword blades, which are perhaps 80% of the way towards a GSB for my skin after the first shave. Then there are good deals which can be had on blades that are just as good, such as Personna Isreali Reds, that you can look out for on ebay from time to time to get the best value for money.

At the end of the day, 100 blades will last you a very long time, especially if you don't shave daily, so you'll thank yourself for spending that extra $20 in the past for the increased pleasure of having just the right blade during your morning routine.

Top Bottom