What's new

Shavette suggestions

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Are the ac blade razors (DX, SS, etc) better than a slant?

Not in my opinion. They're different, not better or worse.

One reason I think I see is that if you're using a slant (or any T-shaped safety razor) then you are applying motive force to the edge from above and out front of the edge. Pulling it in other words, and the pull can help the razor maintain a light touch.

With a barber razor you are applying motive force to the edge from above and behind the edge. PUSHING it, in other words. While the result in both cases is edge contact with the skin, they shave differently.

Another factor is bar or comb on a safety razor, which is in front of the edge whereas the SS bump is behind the edge. If you've got a light touch anyway you'll have a super light touch with a naked edge -- for self-preservation if nothing else.

A normal head shave with a fairly efficient slant razor (Wunderbar, Stealth, ATT S2, or Fasan Double Slant) takes me 35-40 minutes because I'm an old hippie and just groove on the total experience. :) The same shave with a naked edge can take 75 minutes. Different tech, different techniques, different razors.

O.H.

I generally shave with a very light touch, out of fear of butchering myself. I guess I'll have to test the clones out to see if it works out better fo me or not

’Shavettes’ that use a half DE blade are, in the main, cheaper to buy and cheaper to run than those using bespoke blades. If flying light with only cabin baggage (I use a 22 pocket Bagket vest which converts to a shoulder bag), being able to purchase DE blades at destination is a bonus. My first swing-lock shavette (on the long fall down the rabbit hole from DE to SR/kamisori shaving) was an all stainless steel Western (scaled) Candure (£1.99 from amazon.co.uk with 10 DE blades) which I still use in rotation. My next step was a stag horn scaled Böker Barberette that uses a half DE blade or a half Dovo (or other) long blade (more akin to SR shaving) held in separate plastic holders in the stainless steel retaining bar. I recently picked up a YNR Instruments barber ring razor which is a kamisori style shavette using half DE blades (£5.99 on amazon.co.uk with 10 DE blades) which is very comfortable to use with multiple ways to hold it.

30C97167-AE1C-4B48-9B9E-C51BA0F4CA8F.jpeg

Top Bottom