What's new

Geo F Trumper Rose Soap, What am I doing wrong?

Hello gentlemen,

I need some advice please since I'm still learning the art of lathering!

I can get a good lather from TOBS shaving creams, DR Harris Soap (Almond) and creams but for the love of me I tried 2 Geo F Trumper soaps, rose and coconut, a few times each and so far all I get is too light a lather that disappear from the second half of my face while I'm shaving the first half.... even after it disappeared it is slick but really not moisturing. I tried adding more water, brush longer, add soap but so far to no avail.

I'm using a silvertip badger brush, my only brush.

Thanks for any hindsight that could explain what I'm doing wrong, unless it is what's expected from a Trumper soap?

JFT

It’s not you. Trumpers soap is miserably difficult to lather, many say impossible. At the very least it needs to be bloomed enough to facilitate loading (bloomed over multiple shaves or even when you’re not shaving). Getting it soft enough to load is imperative.

Also try experimenting with not working it to much with the brush. I think it doesn’t like to much air in the formula.

Last edited:
It’s not you. Trumpers soap is miserably difficult to lather, some say impossible. At the very least it needs to be bloomed enough to facilitate loading (bloomed over multiple shaves or even when you’re not shaving). Getting it soft enough to load is imperative.

Also try experimenting with not working it to much with the brush. I think it doesn’t like to much air in the formula.

Very good to know! Thank you for the suggestions I’m going to try the softening and work it less with the brush.

Yeah if it’s the newer formula it’s notorious for not providing a great lather. The other standard suggestion is to load a lot longer, like a full minute worth.

Ha! I recently bought The rose and found it the same. High time Trumper had a look at this.
However, I decided to grated it, and mixed some with equal amount of cella from a block. Result is really, really good , easy to load, lather and get a superb creamy lather .

Reactions: JFT
Soaps which you have problems to lather them ...
Grate or chop them and mix with other soaps or creams that lather fine.

No need to throw them. Just ... Create a frankensoap.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The old trumper's Rose in the tallow version was one of the best soaps, but the reformulations are all pretty bad.

The old trumper's Rose in the tallow version was one of the best soaps, but the reformulations are all pretty bad.

It is sad to read. I have limited experienced with tallow based soap (DR Harris Almond) and it is amazing. Tallow based Trumper Rose must have been pretty good then!

Any reason why they reformulated the soap?

Thank you

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I use GFT Eucris regularly, I had read that Eucris and other GFT soaps are hard to lathers but Eucris works ok for me I usually start with a well loaded brush but not to wet. I work it pretty hard. Adding water slowly. Sometimes the magic works.

But I read somewhere that it stains brushes [emoji20] Is that true?

Haven’t had a problem so far. But I use a lot of soaps and creams so I imagine the brush is also getting cleaned whenever I use something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JFT
It’s not you. Trumpers soap is miserably difficult to lather, many say impossible. At the very least it needs to be bloomed enough to facilitate loading (bloomed over multiple shaves or even when you’re not shaving). Getting it soft enough to load is imperative.

+1! Sad, but true for me also!! :sob: :sob:

Top Bottom