What's new

Top Tier UN-scented Soap Suggestions

In my admittedly very limited experience with it, MWF seems like some pretty decent soap although it has not yet made me say, "Wow!". That being said I am not ruling out a degree of operator error so I'm going to stick with it until it does make me say, "Wow!" or I get tired of trying (I have a sneaking suspicion I hit the 'Fat with too much water, too quickly during my last shave). If it's a just a matter of getting down a proper technique that will be okay; I'm willing to learn the peculiarities of a particular soap, I'm even willing to put in a certain amount of extra effort - assuming the juice is worth the squeeze. What I won't accept is fickleness. I have no reason to believe MWF is going to be fickle, I just thought I'd mention that that is a line in the sand for me: if a certain technique works, it needs to work every time. So at present I'm still on the fence about MWF. The plan is stick it out a while longer because I'd really like to have a "Eureka!" moment. And too, be fair, I had a learning curve with Stirling Sheep as well, but this excellent video flattened the curve for me and elevated Sheep to its current exalted state. I'm going to do some test-lathering today and will try the Marco Method on my next shave.
Thanks for sharing that link. I’ve had some issues with Stirling Sheep and I watched the videos and still didn’t get anywhere. It lathers, it’s just not slick when compared with The Fat. I refuse to believe that I can lather The Fat, but can’t later Sheep!

I’m going to rewatch the videos and on Saturday when I’ve got plenty of time I’m going to try them out.

Indeed. For an unscented soap MWF packs a really soapy-smelling punch.

I just conducted a test-lathering using the Marco Method. It proved promising and leaves me cautiously optimistic. Will be shaving tomorrow so we'll see.

I must admit this "Marco" method seems to fling lather onto walls, shirts, ceiling, unsuspecting dogs -- do you use this in practice or perhaps I am too exuberant ???

I must admit this "Marco" method seems to fling lather onto walls, shirts, ceiling, unsuspecting dogs -- do you use this in practice or perhaps I am too exuberant ???
My experience with using the Marco Method is limited to my one test from this morning, which was a palm-lather using a Simpson T1 brush, if any of that matters. I don't think I'm particularly vigorous when it comes to lathering, I'd say I'm rather mellow about it actually. That being said while a fair amount of soap foam did go down the sink while I was loading I had no issues with lather being flung about. Had I been using the T3 instead things might have gone differently as that brush does seem more prone to flinging. If you suspect it's your technique causing the flinging I might humbly suggest trying a more relaxed approach.

Reactions: Avi
Zingari man is just excellent, got explorer and ordered Navigator their recovery balms are fantastic as well
I am waiting to receive the Watchman from WCS, ordered blindly without having a clue as to how it smells. The plan is to mix Zingari's unscented with Watchman in a shave bowl to spice things up (2/3 unscented + 1/3 Watchman) Sometimes using an unscented soap over and over again becomes a bit too boring. I'm hoping that Watchman won't disappoint scent-wise as I paid quite a hefty amount for it!

Stone cottage unscented. Really nice
@MilfordNJGuy , if you are the SCS guy, phenomal pucks of soap!! i wanted to buy more of your stuff, but i have 4 pucks of your stuff already and way too much shaving soaps as it is. Your unscented was exactly what i was looking for.. no residual scents that ive seen with other unscented soaps (And the Hesperides scent is so good too)

That has been my experience exactly, except for maybe the dog. She stays out of the bathroom when I’m shaving. Too much water for her liking.

Top Bottom