What's new

Merkur 45 and other 'non-metal' razors

I am not wanting to start another thread on the pros and cons of zamak safety razors, but I am currently looking into razors made of other materials (other metals and plastics). In my search I found out about the Merkur 45, a razor made of good old bakelite. To me it seems like a great proposition as bakelite is tough and can't oxidize or rust in a wet environment. Does anyone have any experience with the Merkur 45 or with any specific other razor made from a plastic-like synthetic material. Any thoughts, opinions? What would the life expectancy for such razors be provided they're taken care of?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FIG-LX1 met Tapatalk

I utterly love bakelite (or other plastic) razors. I've bakelite razors from the early 1930s that are in great shape.

I am interested on the head design of the 45, but I don't think that the actual 45s are made of bakelite. I've read somewhere that they are made of modern plastic and if that's the case they'll be very durable... But maybe someone who owns one can tell us better.

Cheers

I have one. It's controversial but the consensus seems to be that the Merkur 45 is Bakelite, not a modern plastic.

It's a good razor and it's aggressive. It has a steeply bowed cap, so lower the handle a bit. It is fragile. On my first one the safety bar was broken on arrival. As a light-weight it's an excellent travel razor, but if you travel with it put it in a sturdy box.

I have one. It's controversial but the consensus seems to be that the Merkur 45 is Bakelite, not a modern plastic.

It's a good razor and it's aggressive. It has a steeply bowed cap, so lower the handle a bit. It is fragile. On my first one the safety bar was broken on arrival. As a light-weight it's an excellent travel razor, but if you travel with it put it in a sturdy box.
I believe the safety bar screws into the handle without the handle having a brass insert?

Aluminium razors are the way to go for modern, lightweight razors.

Karve and above the tie (their new Windsor Pro).

I have the 45 and it's an awesome but strange little razor. At 14g, I hardly feel it but it's fairly aggressive so I have to be conscious about not applying any pressure.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The "Prep DE" sold by medical equipment shop and "Gillette click" are also very distinctive "non-metal" razor.

Gillette click is a disposable product for temporary use. Its hinge is not designed for durability, but some people have used it for years.

The Merkur 45 was one of my earliest razors and it was also one of my smoothest shaving razors for a long time. From that, I have acquired many more vintage bakelite razors from the 30's onward and have no problems with their longevity. I think of about 30 bakelite razors, one had a cracked top, but the others are doing well. One thing that took a while to adjust to is that they are very light and so in the beginning I had to swap out the handle for a metal one until I got comfortable with them. Today, I use them as they came with the bakelite handle.

Anyone know of any other models besides the Merkur or the PAA (which seems to be discontinued)? And how is aluminum? I always thought aluminum is not very corrosion resistant.

Anyone know of any other models besides the Merkur or the PAA (which seems to be discontinued)? And how is aluminum? I always thought aluminum is not very corrosion resistant.

Certain acids or bases would affect aluminum, but nothing used in shaving should affect it corrosion wise.

Not much to add on the Merkur 45. I guess the brass thread post is pressed? glued? to the top cap and goes in an unlined handle. So be careful when screwing it together. I bought it for airtravel but due to the head geometry it needs some time to dial in and the „weight“ of it doesn‘t make it easier...

Long story short I switched back to a Fatip Il piccolo—> same footprint, sturdy brass including a solid handle and vastly easier to switch from my usual rotation.

Merkur 45 is for me the best Merkur razor (non adjust), very efficient and smooth.

There are now other vendors with 3D printed razors, including OC and Slants. Check on this forum.

You also mentioned razors made of other metals as well.

Once I went brass, I never went back. I prefer vintage, but there are some good razors out there made of brass. Some won't break the bank either. Brass lasts.

Bakelite is an interesting choice for a razor, but it is very light. It seems to me a slant is best used without applying pressure, yet you have to use pressure with a razor as light as this one. Maybe with practice...

I used a Merkur 45 for a while but found it a bit to light for me. I use a 32C as my daily driver and I would compare the 45 shape to that. Shaved really good but just never got the feel for the weight of it.

Top Bottom