What's new

Some Old Friends Return

I bought a long-handled Super Adjustable last week. This was the first vintage razor I really fell for back in 2008, and I used it almost exclusively for a long time.

I ordered a Red Tip over the weekend. This was the second vintage razor I fell hard for, and it was my daily driver after the LH Adjustable.

I sold both of these razors in late 2011 when I decided to use modern razors. Over the years, I've bought and sold a couple of Red Tips. I've gotten great shaves with them every time, but I was hung up on a mental thing about using modern stuff. Anyway, I started combing some SOTD threads from various forums and realized that from 2008-2011, I used these two razors more or less exclusively and got great shaves and loved the aesthetics of both.

So I was shaving with my newly-acquired GC-.84P early last week and thinking, the shaves are all good. Always. And I miss using vintage stuff. The weight and balance is better for me with vintage razors than with all stainless tools. Plus old stuff is cool. And I started looking around. So here we are.

I had an absolutely fantastic shave with a Personna Med Prep and my LH Adjustable set to 5 today (thanks @Luecke2326 !). It felt comfortable and familiar as soon as I took the razor to my face, and the results were as good as any shave I've ever had. I'm really excited for the Red Tip to arrive in the next couple of days, and I can't see a reason to keep my modern razors around. I found a Superspeed from my dad's birth quarter in a box of assorted gear last week, and I will use that for travel.

I may convince myself at some point to go on a razor hunt again, but as I've reflected on how the Red Tip and Super Adjustable keep calling me back over the years, it seems if I can keep from just reaching for shiny things, I'll be pretty happy with my little trio of 50+-year-old Gillettes.

My red tip is my favourite. Great razors.

I have a nice little collection of 1920-1970’s Gillettes that were all bought at antique shops. I haven’t spent more than $15 on any of them. Just one of the items I ask about in the rare event that I pass an antique shop.

Fun little hobby for me and ridiculously cheap compared to other hobbies!

I have a lot of nice vintage Gillettes.

Of them all, the Red Tip is my favorite.

It is just “right” in every way.

2E9EA4C7-9EB0-4BA7-8364-54A216FE85F1.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Vintage is great. Love me some vintage. Well done on getting back in touch with some old friends.

I sold my Red Tip when I realized that essentially it was extremely similar to my Fatboy, but not adjustable and not quite as heavy. The head itself, though, was almost exactly identical. And I already had a great Fatboy that I really liked, so I saw no need for the Red Tip. It's a good razor, though, for sure.

Interesting. And I had a Fatboy back when I first started wetshaving but never gave it a full evaluation. Maybe someday that will be the one I go after when I get the itch to try a different razor.

I noticed this trend with many members when I first started lurking here a year ago. Start out with vintage, try new, only to go back.

I'm a quick study for most things so I'll stick with what vintage I started with and still have (namely post war Tech), it works perfectly, I'll never have to have it return.

I'm a vintage Gillette guy and have over 20 razors of which, only one is newer than 1976 (its a 2019 Maggard v3 - my first DE razor).

I have Old (including two 1918 WW1 J series military issued Old types!) and New types, Super Speeds, Black, Flare, Blue and Red tips, a 1960 Fatboy, 4 Slim Adjustables, 2 84mm Super Adjustables and 2 109mm Super Adjustables.

Of all these, my favorite is a 1963 Slim followed closely by a 1970 84mm Super Adjustable and a beat up brassed 1956 Red Tip. I try to use all of the razors in my collection on a rotation basis but I find myself gravitating to these three razors.

They are awesome in my book and I have no desire to try anything else at the moment.

Three shaves in with the Red Tip now. It's just as I remembered: aggressive enough, smooth, comfortable to hold. I will be selling my Rockwell 6S and my Gamechanger .84 and going with the Super Adjustable 109 and this Red Tip. I don't need anything else or more, and in the end, there's something so satisfying about them.

Top Bottom