What's new

Passing on the torch

Just before turning 18, my son started borrowing my Comoy 5/8 straight razor. He has seen me shaving before (for the last 22 years) and perhaps caught the 'bug' through direct personal contact ( probably poor social distancing practices to blame)

I jumped on-line to get him set up with a basic set from Pureman for his 18th birthday. I purchased a Comoy 5/8 black handle (Comoy Straight Razor Black Handle - https://www.pureman.com.au/collections/straight-edge-razors/products/straight-razor-black-handle), bore brush with stand and a tub of Porasso eucalyptus oil & menthol.

I talked him through his first wet shave. He has been successfully shaving with it, having moved from cartridge razors and canned foam. He is still having to touch up the chin area, but has been nick free & very proud of the closeness of the shave. I tested his eazor and cream and is was very nice.

He has seen me honing my razors (King 4000k stone), but I still have to show him how to strop (Black Beauty double leather).

Have you had the pleasure of teaching your son's how to shave?

Well, I don't have a son.
However, my older daughter came back as her college semester has been covid-canceled. She wanted to try a straight razor for her legs. So I let her pick one from my set and gave her a strop. So far she seemed to be enjoying the exoticness of the experience.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
No greater love hath a man than when he teaches his son SR shaving!

Congratulations. I trust that he will grow up to be a true gentleman like his father.

I'm teaching the cub to shave with a DE. If he one day decides that he wants to try a straight razor I'll of course be there to do my best to give him a good start. Actually I've got some very nice razors stowed away waiting for the moment, just in case.

No son, but my 9 year old daughter is washing her face daily with a omega synthetic boar brush and ph-balanced glycerin soap.

Yes, I see the age and time line has thrown you. :)

Let me clarify. I started straight shaving in 1998 and my son was born in 2002. So he has, for the last 18 years, been able to see me shave using a straight razor. His vision is not good enough to let him see into the past, but we are working on that 😵

Top Bottom