What's new

Hi guys. It has been a while. Got a question about mild blades if you got a moment...

Hello all. I had been shaving with a Slim for several years. Somehow or other it was lost, thrown away, etc, but one day it just went missing. Anyway, I started using Harry's and then switched to the Gillette Skinguard razor and I have been using it for a while now (over a year). Tonight I bought a Fatboy from Razor Emporium and I want to start using the DE again. Now my face is used to the mildest razor on the market, so what blades do you recommend for a mild shave. I want to ease back into this.
What I am looking for is:
  • descent shave
  • few to no nicks
  • face is sensitive
  • I am a single pass guy - always with the grain
  • I do not care about BBS shave
I realize a lot of this has to do with pressure and technique, but I could use some guidance from the experts, please.

As always, thanks for your time :)

There is a service called tryablade.com that will let you buy small quantities of blades to try out. That is the best way. Some possibilities:
  • Personna Platinum (aka Personna Red, Israeli Personna)
  • Personna Lab blue (not the barbershop blades)
  • Lord Platinum Class
  • Astra Super Stainless (not Super Platinum)
  • Rapira Platinum Lux
  • Derby Premium (not Extra)
  • Sharp Star

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would get a couple of Blade Sampler packs and work my way through them to see what you like and don’t like. Blades are very subjective as what works for me may not work for you.

GERMAN wilkinson swords are a very mild blade. Also, if you can find them, Brazil made Gillette Platinum Plus blades are an excellent choice. Gillette Rubies are rumored to be a good blade as well. I agree with Atlantic on the Personna Lab Blue as well. All of these have been excellent mellow blades in my Fatboy. One thing to remember with the Fatboy as compared to the slim is that it is quite heavy. So let the weight of the razor apply the pressure for you. If you forget and apply pressure on top of that...well lets just say don't do that. Don't ask me how I know this! lol

No sense in trying a bunch of blades if you already have some blades. If it's adjustable, put the razor on a setting of 2 or 3. Typically, people like to pair a sharper blade with a mild razor.

You can use a sharper blade like an Astra SP. I wouldn't go to the super sharp like a Nacet or Feather.

Your goals are consistent with riding the top cap to the point of almost lifting the blade off the skin. This will cause the blade to slice instead of scrape your whiskers.

This is important. Any cuts or weepers will be a result of too much pressure or too much blade angle. This does not include slicing off a pimple or something. If you can get used to always riding the top cap and using so little pressure your skin doesn't deflect, you won't bleed. In some places, like shaving sideways under the nose, riding the top cap is not practical. Use short strokes and light pressure.

YMMV

GERMAN wilkinson swords are a very mild blade. Also, if you can find them, Brazil made Gillette Platinum Plus blades are an excellent choice. Gillette Rubies are rumored to be a good blade as well. I agree with Atlantic on the Personna Lab Blue as well. All of these have been excellent mellow blades in my Fatboy. One thing to remember with the Fatboy as compared to the slim is that it is quite heavy. So let the weight of the razor apply the pressure for you. If you forget and apply pressure on top of that...well lets just say don't do that. Don't ask me how I know this! lol

I agree!
I had some fine shaves with the German Wilkies.
A very good mild blade.
My preference is for the Personna Red (YMMV) Sharp, smooth, and more durable.
Remember that technique is the main factor to a great shave. Sounds like you are well on your way.

Yeah I’d just go with a mid sharp blade but as smooth as possible to me.

I myself enjoy Rapira SSS and Rapira Chrome the most. Stainless steel and Chrome give me the smooth I desire and Rapira are sharp enough. I’m a daily shaver and my facial hair isn’t that course. Keep in mind your equipment can only do so much. Time and patience with practice is where’s the money is at.

I’ve tried other brands and Chrome always seem to do me well.

Thanks everyone. I have some blades already that are listed above. That's interesting about the platinum though as I was not aware. Will order some Astra Stainless this morning.

Again thanks everyone!

For me, the optimal combination is a mild/moderate razor (around mid-point on your FatBoy) plus a sharp (but not too sharp) blade. My problem with ‘mild’ (read not especially sharp) blades is that these often do not cut well so I am tempted to do things like add pressure. Of course YMMV, especially with blades.

That said, my top five (in no particular order):
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Personna red
Personna lab

For me, the optimal combination is a mild/moderate razor (around mid-point on your FatBoy) plus a sharp (but not too sharp) blade. My problem with ‘mild’ (read not especially sharp) blades is that these often do not cut well so I am tempted to do things like add pressure. Of course YMMV, especially with blades.

That said, my top five (in no particular order):
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Personna red
Personna lab
Odd? The first three you list I would consider mid sharp. I have no experience with Persona but I understand em to be sharp.

I personally have found Bic blades to be extremely sharp, extremely smooth and efficient. I mention this because you state you want a one pass shave. In my case, a single pass with a super sharp, smooth and efficient blade yields the least amount of irritation. Since you have an adjustable, you can dial up or down according to your preferences. I like bic blades, I think they are sharper than feathers and much smoother. If you are not looking for something like the Bic, I find the Voskhod blade to be stupid comfortable and smooth, but efficiency varies from razor to razor with this blade.

good luck!

Is there a list or wiki with all blades without platinum (or any other material).

It seems platinum is a pretty standard blade coating, even if it's not prominently listed on the box.

Also, what's in the "Comfort Coating" of Personna Labs / Med Preps?
Teflon (PTFE). Many blades have a teflon coapting, it is not always called out on the package.

Rather than trying to analyze everything to the nth degree, it is usually better just to try a selection of blades you are interested in. That is where services like tryablade.com come in. You don't have to make a big commitment or buy in bulk.

Teflon (PTFE). Many blades have a teflon coapting, it is not always called out on the package.

Rather than trying to analyze everything to the nth degree, it is usually better just to try a selection of blades you are interested in. That is where services like tryablade.com come in. You don't have to make a big commitment or buy in bulk.
I agree. You could ask for good examples of different coated blades then go from there.
Perasona Reds peak my interest and I’ve never tried em. They’re platinum/chrome coated.
This site gets good and bad reviews but it does show most blades and coatings. I’ve never had an issue with using em but it can take time to deliver to the US.

Top Bottom