What's new

Merkur 34 HD vs Edwin Jagger de89

With 34C, you cannot change the handle. Why not go for 23C or 42C or 38C, they all use the same head as 34C and you will be able to change handle.

I have EJ 89 and I like it. However a majority of users claim that the Merkur head is a tad more aggressive/efficient than EJ/Muhle head. So IMO just go with Merkur head.

Another 2 things that dictate the aggressiveness of razor is
(1) The shape and weight of the handle you are using. My EJ 89 feels too mild with stock handle, while with Ikon Bulldog handle, it becomes more efficient/aggressive but still very smooth.

(2) The blades you use. With certain blades in EJ 89 I just cannot achieve BBS. Using Feather, Gillette Silver Blue and various varieties of 7 o'clock, the EJ 89 is a treat to use. Of course while having the Bulldog handle on.

YMMV...

Last edited:
I find he Merkur 34C gives me quite a deal better shave that the DE89. That's just me. I find it has a little more 'oomph' aggression-wise and doesn't irritate me. The EJ DE89 for whatever reason leaves my face feeling sore. The shorter handle on the Merkur is also a winner for me as I prefer a shorter handle. That said, I have tried the 'Kelvin' version of the DE89 and still found that wasn't the most pleasant shave for me so..I guess it's the head that I'm having trouble with most.

+1. The Muhle and EJ 89s are the same heads.

In answer to your question about the relative merits of the Merkur 34 HD vs. EJ, this is totally YMMV. Both are terrific choices IMO!

I am no expert. However, the Merkur HD is my daily razor and I love it. I find it much better balanced and easier to use with the short handle than the 23C I used before. I find for me the heft of it makes me hold it better and not apply any pressure if that makes sense. I also love that it is a 2 piece razor and it is very handy changing blades. If find I get excellent shaves very easy. It seems to love the Astro Platinum Blades. With proper prep I get what I consider a great shave in 1 pass. I am sure they are both great razors but you cant go wrong with the Merc HD.

I've shaved a bunch with both. They were my first DE razors. I prefer the 34C personally. I get a slightly cost shave that is also very smooth. It's also the ONLY razor I can comfortably go against the grain in my neck. That'd be my vote between the two.

I am gonna revive this old thread.
I personally find that Merkur 34 has a tad more efficient head, but slippery and awkwardly short handle.
Is there any place where I can buy Merkur head to combine it with my Edwin Jagger 3D handle ?

I doubt it. The Merkur is a two piece razor and the Muhle and EJ are three piece razors. How they screw together is vastly different.

Take care

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am gonna revive this old thread.
I personally find that Merkur 34 has a tad more efficient head, but slippery and awkwardly short handle.
Is there any place where I can buy Merkur head to combine it with my Edwin Jagger 3D handle ?

The Merkur 34C breaks down much like a Gillette Single Ring.

Merkur_34C_Heavy_Duty_Safety_Razor_-_3_RGN264LVOD5G.jpg

Have you looked at the Maggard heads? They're of similar design to Merkur and EJ.

Maggard Razors Customizable Four Head Bundle | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

They are both great razors. You could use either for the next decade or so and never need another razor. But if you're reading this, chances are you'll probably end up with both. :)

The Merkur 33C is the same head in 3 piece configuration so will take any 5 x 0.8 threaded handle. The 42C and 23C (long handle) are also 3-piece design. Look around for the cheapest prices or even the BST.
The 38C (aka the Barberpole) is the long handled version of the 34C; I assume you knew that.

The Merkur 33C is the same head in 3 piece configuration so will take any 5 x 0.8 threaded handle. The 42C and 23C (long handle) are also 3-piece design. Look around for the cheapest prices or even the BST.
The 38C (aka the Barberpole) is the long handled version of the 34C; I assume you knew that.
I did.
I can buy any Edwin Jagger head pieces separately. That is what I would like to do with Merkur or comparable in performance heads.

I have an R89 and 34G. To me they shave so similarly that it would be hard for me to recommend one over the other. Either one will serve you well. The R89 has better fit and finish if that makes any difference. I'm not sure it'll translate to longer life. I've had both for at least several years and they're still around but I'd say they only get maybe a few weeks of use each year.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Do you think of V3 standard or V3 mild head? Thanks

At that price, try a mild, a standard and a V3A. I think you can even get them in different finishes so you wouldnt mix them up. They have some nice inexpensive handles too.

If it was me, I'd spend $20 on a Piccolo. :tongue_sm

M

Member 113878

You can buy Merkur parts (caps and base plates) from techichi_shave on eBay.

There´s the Merkur 38C, still sturdy 2-piece and bigger handle... Also I find the Parker´s a tad more efficient than the EJ

I own a Merkur 3-piece; their safety bar heads (non-Slant) are the same (I believe). I don't care for their handle aesthetics, so I use different handles. Having said that, I really like the Merkur head and find it to be an excellent shaver that is quite reasonably well behaved (rare nicks, typically from bad technique/being rushed). I couldn't get the EJ/Muhle head to work for me.

Top Bottom