What's new

Increase upload speeds

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My download speeds are fine. My upload speeds....nonexistent. I been trying all night to upload a 8 minute video to YouTube. Standard 1080p 60fps mp4. 1.3gb. It says 2 hours. Then ramps up to 3 hours. Then it doesn’t even tell me a time. Unbelievable. Never had much of a problem until tonight for some reason.

Here are my current speeds

6A8E8746-BA50-416D-BF1A-861448EB569C.jpeg

I’ve updated my router firmware. I’ve tried via a wired connection. Via wireless. Nothing has improved.

What other options do I have?

Thanks!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Your speeds are a lot faster than mine. My upload is usually about 1. something and downloads are about 14. something. It took me 45 minutes to upload a 45 second video to youtube one time.

I downloaded Handbrake program and it seemed to help...a bit. Just need some type of compression utility I guess.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
What does your internet supplier say your plan should be? Do you have a cap for data on the plan with reduced speed if you go over?
They may have temporally throttled your connection for what ever reason.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
What does your internet supplier say your plan should be? Do you have a cap for data on the plan with reduced speed if you go over?
Yep. Lower priced plans have lousy upload speeds.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Supposedly 100mbs download. They don’t specify the upload. And no data caps or throttling.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
From my computer on a wired connection - 1.3gb video that’s 8 minutes long has taken 2 hours to upload just 6% to YouTube. So what’s that...32 hours to upload? Unacceptable. It’s never taken this long. Ever. Something is wrong or has changed.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I called the cable company - always a nightmare.

I'm supposed to be getting 10mpbs upload speed. And their first suggestion after the speed test was to upgrade my internet package. I said...uhhh, no....I'm supposed to get 10 upload and I'm getting 3 so let's work on getting what I'm paying for on the package I'm on now.

So they are sending a new modem. We'll see if that helps.

1.3 GB = 10400 Mb
10 Mbps would be 17 minutes. 3 Mbps would still be under an hour so you aint even getting that.

New modem may well help. Good luck and hope it's not outside plant problems in the coax.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It's always less than the plan you pay for, the question is how much less...
Yeah 99% of people only care about download speeds so that’s all they advertise. Upload speeds are always way slower, which I don’t understand. My Download speeds are actually more than what I’m paying for. But only about 10mbps more but still more. My upload speed is less than half of what I should be getting.

It's always less than the plan you pay for, the question is how much less...

If you are getting less than you're paying for, call your provider. Modem boot files are usually provisioned above what is advertised to make sure you get what you pay for. I am quoted at 250 mbps, regularly get 270 hardwired or even close up wifi. 10 mbps up, usually get 12-13.

Yeah 99% of people only care about download speeds so that’s all they advertise. Upload speeds are always way slower, which I don’t understand. My Download speeds are actually more than what I’m paying for. But only about 10mbps more but still more. My upload speed is less than half of what I should be getting.

Fiber to the home (like FIOS) give symmetrical speeds up and down.
A hybrid fiber coaxial system like yours provides huge bandwidth to the downstream but only a small amount of bandwidth for the upstream. Just the way it is designed (and a relic of years of design focused on the downstream)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you are getting less than you're paying for, call your provider. Modem boot files are usually provisioned above what is advertised to make sure you get what you pay for. I am quoted at 250 mbps, regularly get 270 hardwired or even close up wifi. 10 mbps up, usually get 12-13.

Fiber to the home (like FIOS) give symmetrical speeds up and down.
A hybrid fiber coaxial system like yours provides huge bandwidth to the downstream but only a small amount of bandwidth for the upstream. Just the way it is designed (and a relic of years of design focused on the downstream)
Really makes no sense in “this day and age” where YouTube and social media exists for the sheer purpose of UPLOADING anything and everything.

Top Bottom