What's new

James Bond/Daniel Craig

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I dunno. They can probably make a deal with Gillette.

Not going there.

As rumors have it, Bond will still be played by Daniel Craig, just not as agent 007.
If the movie is a Bond movie, does that not make him the lead actor?

Craig is said to play a major part in the film and appears early on in it. I'm sure they will be able to add a shaving scene in there somewhere as they have in the past if they so desire.

As long as the leading actors can play their roll well, I'll enjoy watching it.

I'm more interested in what car he will be driving myself instead of who the co star is.
Aston or time to change that again?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The car IS a costar.

Well there you go, you heard it here first.

Ryan-Gosling-had-costar-classic-car.jpg

OK so if I wanted to give Brosnan a 2nd chance and only watched one of his movies, which one should it be?

Tomorrow Never Dies.
Very believable opening - could happen any day now in real life!
Two Bond girls (the first actress (Teri Hatcher) got pregnant and had to drop out, and the actress they hired to carry on (Michelle Yeoh) was great.)
Interesting car chase AND then a great motorcycle chase. (Both compliments of BMW).
Satisfying demise for the villain(s).

Tomorrow Never Dies.
Very believable opening - could happen any day now in real life!
Two Bond girls (the first actress (Teri Hatcher) got pregnant and had to drop out, and the actress they hired to carry on (Michelle Yeoh) was great.)
Interesting car chase AND then a great motorcycle chase. (Both compliments of BMW).
Satisfying demise for the villain(s).
One thing I've found is Brosnan had the strongest Bond women in the series. Elektra King was pretty darn powerful, Jinx and Mai Lin were both accomplished agents who could kick some butt, and Xenia was one of the strongest bad Bond girls.

This is sort of scattershot, but here it goes:

I haven't found a source that says a woman is going to be James Bond. She is going to take over the 007 number. I don't know if it is a temporary gimmick for Bond 25 or a permanent change going forward with Bond going away. If it's the latter, then future movies won't be James Bond movies. They'll be something else, a spinoff.

It's silly to give another person the 007 number even in a spinoff. It's iconic and synonymous with Bond. Yes, other 00 agents have been killed off and numbers used throughout the movies, but they weren't Bond.

Whatever the character/franchise, I am completely against re-typing. I'm not talking about re-casting (Connery/Moore/Craig/etc.), that's just finding someone else to play the same role. To simply appropriate a role to make some societal statement is lazy. Create a brand new character of your own. You don't see people wanting to make Shaft a white guy or re-writing The Hunger Games with a male lead.

On a personal level, when I watch a movie or read a book, I have the ability to mentally zone myself into the story. That's my escapism. It's my entertainment. As I'm watching/reading, I become James Bond or Indiana Jones or Travis McGee. I made a comment to my wife the other day that I wasn't interested in reading a book with a female main character. She replied that if she had that attitude her options would be limited. I said, "That's a you problem. I'm not saying books with female leads are no good. I'm just saying I don't care to read them." If they re-cast or re-type Bond to a character I don't identify with, well, thank goodness for DVDs.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

I haven't found a source that says a woman is going to be James Bond. She is going to take over the 007 number. I don't know if it is a temporary gimmick for Bond 25 or a permanent change going forward with Bond going away. If it's the latter, then future movies won't be James Bond movies. They'll be something else, a spinoff.

It's silly to give another person the 007 number even in a spinoff. It's iconic and synonymous with Bond. Yes, other 00 agents have been killed off and numbers used throughout the movies, but they weren't Bond.

Whatever the character/franchise, I am completely against re-typing. I'm not talking about re-casting (Connery/Moore/Craig/etc.), that's just finding someone else to play the same role. To simply appropriate a role to make some societal statement is lazy. Create a brand new character of your own. You don't see people wanting to make Shaft a white guy or re-writing The Hunger Games with a male lead.

On a personal level, when I watch a movie or read a book, I have the ability to mentally zone myself into the story. That's my escapism. It's my entertainment. As I'm watching/reading, I become James Bond or Indiana Jones or Travis McGee. I made a comment to my wife the other day that I wasn't interested in reading a book with a female main character. She replied that if she had that attitude her options would be limited. I said, "That's a you problem. I'm not saying books with female leads are no good. I'm just saying I don't care to read them." If they re-cast or re-type Bond to a character I don't identify with, well, thank goodness for DVDs.
Well said my Brother. I am also like you. I read and become the lead character. I have enjoyed books with strong female leads but have rarely reread them. "Podkayne of Mars" by Robert A Heinlein comes to mind.

Podkayne of Mars . . . bought it many years ago to complete my set of Heinlein. Was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and how well RAH was able to write a believable female lead.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Podkayne of Mars . . . bought it many years ago to complete my set of Heinlein. Was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and how well RAH was able to write a believable female lead.
He truly was a wordsmith. Entirely underrated as a writer by anyone that doesn't like sci-fi.

If you haven't seen it, this is fitting this week in history: YouTube has an interview with he and Arthur C Clarke with Walter Cronkite during the Apollo 11 mission.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I don't have any problems reading books built around female protagonists. Two examples come to mind: the medical thrillers by Robin Cook, and the late Michael Palmer. Most seem to revolve about female doctors in distress, and I am certainly able to empathize with them. No, they ain't literature, but they sure are fun, even though the bad guys are usually either connected to (SPOILER ALERT) big pharma or big insurance companies.

Nonetheless, a female 007 does give me pause.

It seems so, well, un-Bondish, for Bond, as a double-07 embodies the whole notion of double-0 agents as licensed, killers. (These are also known as "assassins.") Now, understand that the Bond I see in my mind's eye is decidedly not the Bond of film, but the Bond of paper--of Fleming's original books, written in the "booze-and-broads" era of the 'fifties. He is not all that nice a guy. But Bond is double-07 and double-07 is Bond. He is of a type and of a time. Give the latest sanctioned killer her own double-0 designation; make her sexy as a sailor's dream, and mean as a stepped-on snake, but, heavens!, call her something other than double-07.

I'd be truly shocked if, by the end of this next installment, the female 007 isn't dead or permanent desk duty and Bond is begged back to resume his "licence" to kill. Or, to quote Rowan Atkinson from the non-official Bond movie, "M says that without you in the service, he fears for the security of the civilized world."

Y'all apparently are capable of the willing suspension of belief to cope with a single character 007/Bond being played in a span of 57 years by 7 different actors, but a woman being 007 would be beyond the pale because it's not realistic...

The reuse of the 007 number is intriguing because it implies that James Bond isn't notable as agents go. This means there are other 00 agents involved in various things just as important as 007. It also implies that, at any given moment, there are several villains bent on world domination/destruction, each the concern of a different 00 agent.

Mentally zoning into a story is sometimes called the suspension of disbelief. If a reader comes across something that throws him or her out of a story, it's very hard to re-establish that.

You've gotten into an area involving protagonists that can be surprisingly controversial. Can't say anything yeah or nay about it, because it gets into individual tastes. I don't really care about a protagonist's gender or race or inclinations or whatever as long as it's a good yarn.

You've also gone somewhere that folks might not want to go. There was news about another film I won't mention, that struck me funny because if the situation was reversed, certain ones would scream about cultural appropriation. Doubt we'll hear a peep about it.

Y'all apparently are capable of the willing suspension of belief to cope with a single character 007/Bond being played in a span of 57 years by 7 different actors, but a woman being 007 would be beyond the pale because it's not realistic...

I was reading 11 22 63 when I came across an It reference. That's all it took to throw me out of the book. I read a little further, then set it aside. Some enjoyed finding that reference. I didn't. What can throw someone out of a story varies.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
There was news about another film I won't mention, that struck me funny because if the situation was reversed, certain ones would scream about cultural appropriation. Doubt we'll hear a peep about it.

Yep. I almost mentioned that here. I agree completely, not a peep.

The reuse of the 007 number is intriguing because it implies that James Bond isn't notable as agents go. This means there are other 00 agents involved in various things just as important as 007. It also implies that, at any given moment, there are several villains bent on world domination/destruction, each the concern of a different 00 agent.

Mentally zoning into a story is sometimes called the suspension of disbelief. If a reader comes across something that throws him or her out of a story, it's very hard to re-establish that.

You've gotten into an area involving protagonists that can be surprisingly controversial. Can't say anything yeah or nay about it, because it gets into individual tastes. I don't really care about a protagonist's gender or race or inclinations or whatever as long as it's a good yarn.

You've also gone somewhere that folks might not want to go. There was news about another film I won't mention, that struck me funny because if the situation was reversed, certain ones would scream about cultural appropriation. Doubt we'll hear a peep about it.

I'm not saying at all there shouldn't be various characters, nor am I saying people shouldn't read books with female leads. I'm just saying for me personally, when I have entertainment dollars and time to spend, it's going to be with a character I can connect with. I really don't care what anyone else does.

Case in point: I started reading a series of books a year or so ago but lost interest after a two or three because every character introduced was a former Navy SEAL, Marine Raider, Green Beret, MMA champion, whatever. I didn't connect with any of those people. Two of my favorite book series involve main characters who are just regular guys. They don't usually win fights. They don't have gadgets. They find themselves in bad situations and normally escape by talking/sneaking their way out or by just dumb luck. I can relate to those characters.

Heck, I'm looking forward to going to see The Lion King. I won't connect with Mufasa or Simba. I'm most looking forward to seeing Rafiki and Poomba because I can most see myself as either of those two characters.

One thing I've found is Brosnan had the strongest Bond women in the series. Elektra King was pretty darn powerful, Jinx and Mai Lin were both accomplished agents who could kick some butt, and Xenia was one of the strongest bad Bond girls.

Well, I had a thing for Teri Hatcher. Lady is doggone good looking! So, when I heard she was gonna play a Bond girl, i had to go see the movie. Too bad she had to bail halfway thru - rumor has it she and Brosnan didn't like each other at all.

Top Bottom