What's new

Qshave parthenon: My thoughts

I recently decided to pull the trigger on one of these. I love TTOs, so Im excited about a modern TTO adjustable. I understand a concerns/issuse thats people have with the current design, so we'll just see how it goes.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I fall in the absolutely totally underwhelmed group on this razor. The blades feel like they are completely unsupported and shave quality is NDG at best.

There are few razors I find simply unusable (injectors being one example) and so far I have to put this razor as the Double Edge equivalent of an injector.

I fall in the absolutely totally underwhelmed group on this razor. The blades feel like they are completely unsupported and shave quality is NDG at best.

There are few razors I find simply unusable (injectors being one example) and so far I have to put this razor as the Double Edge equivalent of an injector.

After shave number 2 with this I'm in your camp. I love the concept, but even dialed to 9 I failed to get a close shave after 3 passes. Plus at that exposure it was just darn uncomfortable. I haven't tried the blades yet (Q Shave branded), and I might like those. I've only used a Gillette Nacet which is my usual go-to for a good, smooth shave.

You had me until you dissed the injector! I love my injector.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I had been using the Feather blades that came with the razor but based on some comments from other posters I switched to a different blade, this time a Crystal Super+ Platinum blade and the resulting shave was not quite as painful as with the Feather blades but still simply not pleasant. The blade definitely made a difference so I may try some other folk find comfortable.

My parthenon is out for cleaning. I might return to it again, but not anytime soon. My other new razor, Yaqi Double Open Comb, is performing admirably.

Here is another version from different manufacturer. Costs $32.66 ($16 cheaper than Parthenon)
WEISHI Nostalgic Adjustable Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor Matte BLACK
by WEISHI. Lol I wonder Parthenon was a kickstarter project. All are same Chinese crap.
Amazon link: http://a.co/4X9jS5q

It is obvious most of the Chinese adjustables suffer from serious design flaws. The only exception being the Futur copies. But then again it's not their design. I have a Ming Shi 2000S and a River Lake variant [different from the Ming Shi]. Otherwise when it comes to adjustables I stick to my Slims and Super Adjustables

The 3000s isn't too bad with a KAI, BBS in three passes, albeit set on the max setting. - Mine has even gap and exposure from the lowest setting, up to the max (just past 9).

She's on the mild side, but is efficient enough wide open.

There is a Qshave Parthenon V2; the original had some issues getting clogged or being too aggressive for some people. Anyway: the V2 is a nice adjustable. It's tall , heavy and solid. At #5 it shaves similar to Gillettes at 5-6; at #7 the Qshave is somewhat aggressive for my taste. I have also tried the MingShi 3000; that one was not good for me: at any level above #5 the head was crooked, at any level below 6 it did not shave me well and had to go to #9 to get a mediocre shave.....for me it was not good at all....wasted $12.

...It came with a tuck of Q Shave branded blades (made in USA). I didn't try those, but rather used a new Gillette Nacet.
You should try one.
I used one from the tuck that came with my Futur clone. It looked odd with no markings on the blade itself.
It was excellent on the first shave, but rapidly went downhill on subsequent shaves.
I tossed it at 5, where I normally consider 5 as just getting broken in before going on to 30, 50, or 100 shaves. (as with Astra SP, GSB, Personna Blue)
But that first shave was probably better than with any other blade I've tried, including Feathers. I'll have to try another one to see if it wasn't just a fluke.

Picked up the yintal 7 gears adjustable i bronze. I paid less than $30 and it's really pretty good. It is no Rockwell model t, or merkur progress, but gave me a very smooth shave.

I just got the QShave Parthenon V2 and had my first shave with it this morning. I used a Personna Blue blade and Proraso White. One side of my face I had the razor set at 1 and it shaved great. On the other side of my face, I had it set to 9 and it, too, shaved great. Definitely felt more blade exposure but it wasn't too aggressive. I set the razor to 3 for my second (final) pass; no nicks or cuts. A very smooth, comfortable shave. I highly recommend this razor, especially at this price point (just over $30 on Amazon).

Top Bottom