What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was good.

5-4-19,Kukri.Kit.Barbershop.MS30.640.JPG

I can't say that the hone markedly improved the edge, but the Kukri edge didn't need much touching up. It's better now than yesterday.

What can I say about this Barbershop soap that I've not already said? This brush was as it always is, a wall of badger and soft.

Serum.Preshave.Alum.Cremo.480.4-20-19.JPG

I got a little neck cut in an unusual place and needed the alum for it. Not a big deal, but surprising.
The Cremo will be applied in a little while along with a splash, probably the Veg.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2019-5-5_11-28-37.png

For good reason, the world's hobbyist razor honers have been deemed too crazy to help, but the asylum is run by lunatics and continues to admit stone addicts and those crazy enough to hone razors which are already sharp, comfortable, and shave ready.

Link.

3-23-19-350-sharp-off-coticule-640-kit-jpg.965776

In other words I'm thinking of taking this coticule sharpened blade to the Double Convex Ark as an experiment. If I'm going to ever learn the DCA I need the practice. I've given up on the Geneva blade at least for now.

upload_2019-5-5_11-35-2.png

Insanity is contagious. You should stop reading this thread.

You were warned,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
All my straight razors are discussed here. All that have scales and are usable. Either in the post quoted or in the comments below.

Now I want to go through my straight razors just to have in one post the status of all of the fourteen in my rotation. There are a few without scales not in the rotation, but they don't count for this project.

View attachment 966113

The Black Devo and the Red Devo came to me shave ready. I'll leave their edges alone until they are not sharp. The Pipe Razor (front) is exactly to my liking off the Norton Arkansas + the pasted strops. I'll leave it alone until it really needs work.

3-18-19-geneva-coticle-nn-arkx300-640-jpg.964516

This little Geneva has had a lot of work. Link. It's off the Norton Ark + the pasted strops. It's okay, but maybe needs its bevel reset. Not an urgent project.

View attachment 966128

These six razors have edges off the coticule. Top to bottom - Boker Red Injun, wide Torrey, Kukri, 350, narrow Torrey, Double Duck Shorty - they've all been shave tested with one exception.

The narrow Torrey has been honed but not shave tested. How'd I miss that step?

View attachment 966129

This last group are off the Ark. Top to bottom - Boots, Boker Tree, Real/Best German Hollow Ground, Geo.Felix - I'll have to decide whether to put them to the coticule.

Anyway, they're all organized and sorted. I have an idea what I've got.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Link to original post quoted above.

These are the updates to the information in the quoted post.
  • The Geneva razor is currently off the DCA and not very well done.
  • The Kukri is off the Zulu Grey, sharp and comfortable.
  • The 350 was honed today on the Double Convex Ark and is okay, but not great.
But Jim, we just LOVE danger. :devil:

But, Cal, who are your friends and associates in a birds of a feather way‽

upload_2019-5-5_14-29-25.png

My Sunday shave was pretty good.

4-5-19.Kit.350 off DCA.Barbershop.Mondial.Kit.640.JPG

This razor, my 350, has only one marking - 350 - and is otherwise a mystery blade. I had a very hard time getting it sharp but the coticule did the trick as noted in a recently quoted post. Still, I took it to the DCA today, shaved with it, and can say that the edge is okay.

Is it gloriously sharp? No, I think not, but it's shave ready and comfortable. It's better off the DCA than the Geneva. It was used with Ballistol/water in a 1:4 mixture. Both sides of the stone were used, but I did not do very much work. I looked at the blade with the microscope before and during the honing to monitor things. I did the thumbnail test off the soft side. Linen, leather, denim stropping as usual followed the stone.

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

Today's shave was just okay. So far, the DCA is not working as well for me as stones I found an easier time mastering, but I didn't expect it to be an easy stone to learn.

Happy shaves,

Jim

All my straight razors are discussed here. All that have scales and are usable. Either in the post quoted or in the comments below.

Link to original post quoted above.

These are the updates to the information in the quoted post.
  • The Geneva razor is currently off the DCA and not very well done.
  • The Kukri is off the Zulu Grey, sharp and comfortable.
  • The 350 was honed today on the Double Convex Ark and is okay, but not great.

But, Cal, who are your friends and associates in a birds of a feather way‽

View attachment 978173

My Sunday shave was pretty good.

View attachment 978170

This razor, my 350, has only one marking - 350 - and is otherwise a mystery blade. I had a very hard time getting it sharp but the coticule did the trick as noted in a recently quoted post. Still, I took it to the DCA today, shaved with it, and can say that the edge is okay.

Is it gloriously sharp? No, I think not, but it's shave ready and comfortable. It's better off the DCA than the Geneva. It was used with Ballistol/water in a 1:4 mixture. Both sides of the stone were used, but I did not do very much work. I looked at the blade with the microscope before and during the honing to monitor things. I did the thumbnail test off the soft side. Linen, leather, denim stropping as usual followed the stone.

View attachment 978172

Today's shave was just okay. So far, the DCA is not working as well for me as stones I found an easier time mastering, but I didn't expect it to be an easy stone to learn.

Happy shaves,

Jim
After initial success with the convex stones honing with them has gone a bit awry with them for me. In my case I might have just taken the experiments a step too far by comvexing narrow stones.

Personally I feel I need a control mechanism or a context. Some way to assure myself that difficulties are stone/method related and not just down to me. I wonder about honing in pairs 2 Gold Dollars, side by side. One on a flat stone the other on a convex.

Personally I feel I need a control mechanism or a context. Some way to assure myself that difficulties are stone/method related and not just down to me. I wonder about honing in pairs 2 Gold Dollars, side by side. One on a flat stone the other on a convex.

That would be the scientific way of testing.
Plus, it's about the best use I can think of for a GD. :1eye:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
After initial success with the convex stones honing with them has gone a bit awry with them for me. In my case I might have just taken the experiments a step too far by comvexing narrow stones.

Good idea.

Seems to me my convex stone doesn't lend itself to easy or simple controls. Can't go back and forth between the DCA and flat stones without a lot (too much) bevel resetting for my tastes.

Using two identical razors would solve that problem, largely.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My shave this Monday was good.

5-6-19.Kukri.Kit.Texaus by N.O.640.JPG

A generous member gave me this brand new puck of a soap I'd never before used until today. It's a good soap. The scent is not strong, and I can't identify it, but it's not a drawback. The lather is of very fine bubbles (that's good), but not thick feeling or creamy. I noticed the lather sublimated a bit, but other than that its performance qualities were quite impressive. The shave was good with it.

Cremo.Serum.Preshave.480.3-9-19.JPG

The soap got a bump from GD Preshave.

PAA BayRum.ExtraPoints.480.png

And another bump from a great splash.

I'd have to use this soap for a week to properly assess it, particularly its effect on my skin, but initial impressions are good. Aren't we lucky to have so many really good soaps to choose from?

I'm considering stopping my Kukri experiment. I believe I've demonstrated to my satisfaction that I can shave with and maintain one edge. It is sharp and comfortable. I may continue with the Kukri for a while more, or I may look for a second razor and repeat the experiment.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was good.

4-7-19.Kit.Laundry.Jade.Kukri.640.JPG

I can't say my edge feels glorious sharp but it is sharp enough. How do I know that? Simple really. My shaves are getting better. After today's first pass (and second neck pass) I probably could have quit. That's very remarkable.

I usually require a million passes with any razor.

I continued on in order to get an even better shave. My final shave wasn't perfect. However, most of the work was done early on, and I could have quit then and not been embarrassed by a lousy shave.

The Connaught Omega Premium brush is stellar!

Cremo.Serum.Preshave.480.3-9-19.JPG

Good software. The GD Laundry soap performs incredibly well and has an okay scent.

BayRum.AtomicAge.CrownKing.480.8-18.JPG

My splash's scent is way better than okay.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Occasionally I meander back through old stuff on this thread. Sometimes I look back through particular topics. Once in a while I read the history of my involvement with a particular razor, or edge, or software product.

DoubleDuck.Shorty.Kit.3-17-19.Coticled.640.JPG

Today I've been reading about my Double Duck Shorty and it's honing history, etc. I'm considering it as a razor to switch to for an extended period of time much like I've spent with my Kukri. I believe I will mute the Shorty's point and give it a spin today.

According to what I've read and my memory it's a very sharp edge off the coticule (using my patented Dilucot Oil Honing method).

upload_2019-5-8_10-59-57.jpeg

It's been an interesting journey so far. My quest for a smooth, close, long lasting, and Damn Comfortable Shave continues.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was good.

5-8-19.D.Duck.Shorty.Off the Coticule.Kit.640.JPG

Just going by the shave I got today this edge off the coticule with my patented Dilucot Oil Honing method is gloriously sharp.

BOSC.2.Edge On Up Edge Tester.jpg

In a few days I will be able to test my edges using an accurate, reproducible, and objective piece of kit.

Although I enjoyed the Shorty today, and although I find the edge very sharp and coticule comfortable, and although I think maybe the Double Duck might be a truly superior old razor, I don't want to use this razor every day. Why? I have no idea of exactly why. Maybe I'm a bit afraid of that point (which cut the hell out of me a few weeks ago) even though I've muted the point. Maybe its shortness is a disadvantage in everyday shaves.

Yes, I'm glad to have the razor, but I won't use it for an every day extended period. I'll have to audition more razors for that role. Not like I don't have any others!

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

Today's brush is one of my favorites. It's not heavy on backbone, but adequate. It is really a perfect softness when soft is what I want most. Stirling used to make this brush in a different colored handle with a taller or shorter loft (I'm not sure which), but I'm glad I got the one I purchased. It seems just right. It's 26mm according to the vendor. I have other Stirling finest brushes (two band they are), and like them all, but this might be my favorite Stirling.

The soap's scent has grown on me. I really like it. I don't like it enough for everyday use, but once in a while it is a very nice scent. The performance is stellar of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ha! That's a cool label. Noble Otter has good ones.

Looks like a collaboration of sorts (two logos).

It's definitely a collaboration.

upload_2019-5-8_18-23-40.png

That's what it says, but I am unable to identify any scent I'm sure of. In other words, it's a lightly scented (to my nose) soap with a vague but pleasant scent.

I like that they tried to describe it instead of just talking about the scent notes. Scent notes make zero sense to me most of the time, particularly with scents such as these - petitgrain, plumeria, oakmoss, black currant - about which I have absolutely no idea.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wednesday's shave was good.

View attachment 978999

Just going by the shave I got today this edge off the coticule with my patented Dilucot Oil Honing method is gloriously sharp.

View attachment 979000

In a few days I will be able to test my edges using an accurate, reproducible, and objective piece of kit.

Although I enjoyed the Shorty today, and although I find the edge very sharp and coticule comfortable, and although I think maybe the Double Duck might be a truly superior old razor, I don't want to use this razor every day. Why? I have no idea of exactly why. Maybe I'm a bit afraid of that point (which cut the hell out of me a few weeks ago) even though I've muted the point. Maybe its shortness is a disadvantage in everyday shaves.

Yes, I'm glad to have the razor, but I won't use it for an every day extended period. I'll have to audition more razors for that role. Not like I don't have any others!

View attachment 979003

Today's brush is one of my favorites. It's not heavy on backbone, but adequate. It is really a perfect softness when soft is what I want most. Stirling used to make this brush in a different colored handle with a taller or shorter loft (I'm not sure which), but I'm glad I got the one I purchased. It seems just right. It's 26mm according to the vendor. I have other Stirling finest brushes (two band they are), and like them all, but this might be my favorite Stirling.

The soap's scent has grown on me. I really like it. I don't like it enough for everyday use, but once in a while it is a very nice scent. The performance is stellar of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I do wonder what objective sharpness will actually mean. My sharpest edges don't shave half as well as some of my "blunt" coticule edges.

I shall be watching with interest.
proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I do wonder what objective sharpness will actually mean. My sharpest edges don't shave half as well as some of my "blunt" coticule edges.

I shall be watching with interest.

proxy.php

I fed a giraffe at the zoo. An amazing experience. The creature's breath was incredibly sweet smelling and lovely. His head was enormous.

I agree.

I also wonder how "dull" those blunt feeling coticules are.

Today's razor - sharp feeling for sure - also feels like a coticule edge (although it doesn't feel like a butter knife in the way some coticule edges feel). I'm not sure how to explain that nor what it means.

I'll be interesting.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was good.

5-9-19.DonAppel'sMedals.480.JPG

These are the cycling medals which were on display at the funeral this morning. My friend, Don Appel, was very accomplished in many areas of life. These are seriously impressive.

4-9-19..Kit.Kukri.Barbersop.640JPG.JPG

My shave was good.

GroomingDept.Serum.Rejuvenating.Unscented.480JPG.JPG

I forgot the Preshave but the soap was still stellar.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

It was a hard morning, but a great service. Don would have been impressed.

Now I'm at work. My work is important. I need a tailwind today, but have a headwind. Maybe the day will improve. At least I got in a good shave.

My device (Edge On) has arrived.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Indeed impressive set of medals. Wow.
"Always earned, never given" - a principle everyone should aspire to, but few good men truly live by it.

I am glad to hear the service was a sufficient way to honor a man who both strove and accomplished. I hope you can make peace with your loss in days to come. Today, I hope your work is without undue complication. Thank you for continuing to be a resource and inspiration to the junior members here. I get the sense that your friend would be proud to know that you hold him in such esteem.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Indeed impressive set of medals. Wow.
"Always earned, never given" - a principle everyone should aspire to, but few good men truly live by it.

One of his many medals was from the Sebring endurance race. It's a 24 hr/12 hr/RAAM Qualifier event in Florida; Don raced there several times. The medal I was impressed by was from one of his more recent races there.

According to the medal he participated in the 12 hour race at Sebring and rode 261 miles in 12 hours. He was over sixty years old at the time.

One of my best ever races was at Sebring in the 12 hour race where I rode 209.5 miles and set an age group record. I have some idea what it takes to do 261 miles in 12 hours at Sebring.

I am glad to hear the service was a sufficient way to honor a man who both strove and accomplished. I hope you can make peace with your loss in days to come. Today, I hope your work is without undue complication. Thank you for continuing to be a resource and inspiration to the junior members here. I get the sense that your friend would be proud to know that you hold him in such esteem.

Thank you.

It really was an impressive service. Both of his sons spoke as did one of his old friends. Don was a multifaceted and private person. Most people weren't aware of all of his facets and accomplishments. He shared more of them with me I think that he did with most people for which I feel privileged.

I know that some of my friends who do ultramarathon cycling do it to impress other people. When I was into the sport I mostly was interested in enjoying the ride and impressing myself. I suspect Don did it mostly for the joy of riding the bicycle. He loved to ride.

I appreciate everyone being so kind to me in the past few days.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom