What's new

Never thought I could shave at this setting

After almost a year of wet shaving, I feel confident enough to start testing higher aggressiveness settings on my adjustables. I've been using my Slims exclusively since the year began. Started at 3, and came all the way to 9 on yesterday's shave, and quite frankly, I'm surprised. It was so smooth and comfortable that I couldn't believe it.
My beard, although not very thick, is quite coarse, and definitively I was having a hard time cutting through it at lower settings.
The razor cut through it like nothing, and after the first pass, I could almost call it a day, but I went to the 2nd + retouching, and never brought it down from 9. I never felt that I was going to hurt myself.
Not a single nick or cut.

R

romsitsa

I always wonder when members use Gillette adjustables on 1-4. It simply doesn't work for me. My go to Fatboy is reset, it starts around 4 and ends at 12, but even that performs worse than my New long combs.

Adam

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I use my Slim on 7 first pass, then 9 for the rest.

Theres something about the Slim that makes it a smooth shaver not all Gillette adjustables have.

These raised portions of the blade tray clamp the blade to the inside of the doors increasing rigidity a great deal.

Slim_Blade_Support_Points.jpg

I'm not sure what year that started and whether or not that design is inherent to all Gillette Slims and Super Adjustables or not. I have seen Gillette Fatboys both with and without that design element.

R

romsitsa

All "common" Gillette adjustables use this blade clamping setup.

Adam

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
All "common" Gillette adjustables use this blade clamping setup.

Adam

Thats what I assumed. The Gillette Toggle, as far as I know, did not and some early Fatboys seem to use the same blade tray as the Toggle.

R

romsitsa

Thats what I assumed. The Gillette Toggle, as far as I know, did not and some early Fatboys seem to use the same blade tray as the Toggle.

Serial Toggle, Slim, Super (short/long) and Fatboys have this setup. Bottom dials, standard Toggles and red dots have a tray (two versions just to make it easy) that moves, like for eg. a Merkur.

Adam

I always wonder when members use Gillette adjustables on 1-4. It simply doesn't work for me. My go to Fatboy is reset, it starts around 4 and ends at 12, but even that performs worse than my New long combs.

Adam
What do you wonder? I always go for the mildest setting that still gives me an easy, close shave. 3 on the Slim was good for me, but I went down to 2 and that was still good. I suppose I should try 1.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Serial Toggle, Slim, Super (short/long) and Fatboys have this setup. Bottom dials, standard Toggles and red dots have a tray (two versions just to make it easy) that moves, like for eg. a Merkur.

Adam

Thanks. Now I know.

Slim on 1.
SET_1.jpg

On 4.
SET_4.jpg

On 9.
SET_9.jpg

Its pretty much unusable for me below 6. Setting 5 is just a tease.

7 works pretty well first pass N-S WTG/XTG. Second pass directly ATG, 9 actually does really well, with the right blade. If I need many clean ups my skin will pay for all that gap though.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
We are all different. I find that 3 on my Slims gives me a good shave. I have used 4 a few times but it can be harsh. But if 9 works for you then go for it. It is all about what gives YOU your best shave.

We are all different. I find that 3 on my Slims gives me a good shave. I have used 4 a few times but it can be harsh. But if 9 works for you then go for it. It is all about what gives YOU your best shave.
It can also be the blade. Astras allowed me to go all the way up to 9, but the Indian Wilkinson Sword felt harsh at 6. I'm getting a sample blade pack, simply for the sake of finding my perfect blade, which I already found on the Astra, although there might be a better blade for me out there with a slight edge on comfort and performance, is just that I don't want to settle for one blade brand just yet.

The less pressure you use, the higher the setting you can use.
I just found exactly that to be the case. I can just let it glide freely with no pressure whatsoever at setting 9, and it will remove stubble like a lawnmower.

A setting of 9 on my cheeks no problem. On my neck, irritation. That's the beauty of adjustables. One razor that can fit every need. For some reason, I can get a smoother shave at a more aggressive setting with my Mergrees razors.

Thanks. Now I know.

Slim on 1.
View attachment 952906

On 4.
View attachment 952907

On 9.
View attachment 952908

Its pretty much unusable for me below 6. Setting 5 is just a tease.

7 works pretty well first pass N-S WTG/XTG. Second pass directly ATG, 9 actually does really well, with the right blade. If I need many clean ups my skin will pay for all that gap though.

Mike, good to know about the settings and blade gap!

Same here, I don't need an aggressive shaver as I shave daily. So far my H2 slim ticks all the boxes I need for a daily driver. It's not the prettiest but it's my favorite little razor at the moment.

Which setting on a Slim is equivalent to the .84 Game Changer? I have the .68 Game Changer, but would like to get a feel for how aggressive the .84 Game Changer by dialing up my Slim.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Which setting on a Slim is equivalent to the .84 Game Changer? I have the .68 Game Changer, but would like to get a feel for how aggressive the .84 Game Changer by dialing up my Slim.

I'm not sure there would be an equivalent gap/exposure between them. The RR GC .84 has negative exposure. As you open up a Slim, or any other Gillette adjustable, you're increasing blade gap but also exposure. Not to the amount of gap the GC .84 has I dont think.

This is @Cal's GC .84. Lots of gap but still negative blade exposure.
RazoRock GC84.png

@Cal's .68 GC, which has obvious negative exposure.
RazoRock GC68.png

Gap wise that's between 6 & 7 on a slim, but there's more to it than just gap. The exposure and blade angle shift with the settings on the Gillette Adjustables.

Technically, 9 would be equal to my Timeless 95 OC (or there abouts), but the Timeless is oh so much smoother. Same with the Karve plates.

Top Bottom