What's new

TENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2019 Edition

February 7th, shave #4 - Muhle R41, Feather Stainless.

Much better this time around, only a couple of weepers and very little irritation.

Saw this thread and started with a Gillette Super Platinum in a Razorock Game Changer on Feb 1. Today was shave 8 with the blade and I *thought* I was fine till I saw a little weeper on my chin after a XTG pass. What are the "rules" with this one. Do I try and go the whole month with one blade or just the SAME razor and blade set-up?

Saw this thread and started with a Gillette Super Platinum in a Razorock Game Changer on Feb 1. Today was shave 8 with the blade and I *thought* I was fine till I saw a little weeper on my chin after a XTG pass. What are the "rules" with this one. Do I try and go the whole month with one blade or just the SAME razor and blade set-up?

The first rule is one blade.
Second rule is push it as far as it can go.
Third rule is to have fun
Fourth rule: No rules

Don't use a blade that makes you sad. If it really is done for, change it out. But maybe one weeper doesn't mean it's dead yet. Those blades bite sometimes (at least they bite me, and I don't think I'm alone), but they're pretty durable.

Astra Superior Stainless (7)
Merkur 42C
Simpson Berkerely 46 Pure Badger
Nivea Body Stick, face lathered
Clubman Friday

It's no fluke, the Nivea is one slick soap. The chrome head of the Merkur just glides. Two passes and minimal touch up for CCS, almost DFS.

Put the Bolzano Superinox in the Black Handle Super Speed I had been using all of last month and the shave was noticeably improved (I had assumed it was somewhat user error). It is currently usable, however, still underwhelmed with the blade based on price and reputation. Enjoying the experimenting though.

Shave 8

ATT SE1
Schick Proline(8) flipped over

I don't typically shave daily, so it looks like I don't grow hair on my face. BBS last about 20 hours, I just smooth things out every morning. I don't see any stubble, I just shave what I feel.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sixth Dovo shavette shave with the Derby Premium blade. It's starting to feel tired now, and my shave quality has dropped from DFS to CCS. While part of that is a lack on experience on my part with a straight format razor (though I have had a couple of BBS straight shaves in the past), the blade is certainly not as efficient as it was.

A whole blade in a Jagger DE razor gave me 16 shaves, so I might get a couple more shaves out of this before I start struggling.

I'm using a Mongoose SE and a Feather Professional blade (today is 7). I had a couple of nicks last shave and the one before that, but have attributed it to poor technique and possibly inferior prep. Today I used a bit better soap and adjusted my technique a bit and had no nicks or weepers at all.

I do notice that I have had to slow things down a bit as I get more shaves on one blade. Typically I can get a solid two weeks from one blade, so I'm real excited to see how things are going to progress for the rest of the month.

GSB (119)
Is it a rule that we begin February with a fresh blade or would I be allowed to carryover an experienced blade with me?

This blade is still going strong! BBS every day! Using my Slim.

GSB (119)
Is it a rule that we begin February with a fresh blade or would I be allowed to carryover an experienced blade with me?

#119?! Wow impressive!
Just carry on and try to stretch it February out.

#8 Wilkinson Sword German - Merkur 34c
Rushed a two pass shave because we have a visitor this weekend.
Brut all the way with aftershave, eu de toilette and deodorant.
Great shave, no signs of degradation yet.

What are the "rules" with this one. Do I try and go the whole month with one blade or just the SAME razor and blade set-up?

Flip it, disinfect it with barbicide or alcohol or a combination, and push on, at least for one more shave! I am frequently surprised at what simply flipping the blade will do. But resist the temptation to wipe the blade, that will destroy the edge. But ultimately...
Don't use a blade that makes you sad. If it really is done for, change it out.

GSB (119)

Whatttttttt? What is your facial hair like? Thin and patchy? I can't imagine getting like 6 months out of one blade!

Topaz Platinum (8). Sailing right along, got a really nice shave today, almost no stubble now nearly 12 hours later.

Shave #8
Schick J1 injector Schick "Chick" blade (8)

Everything the same as for every day this month except that since it's Friday I used Clubman aftershave, of course!

Top Bottom