What's new

Improve your skin condition...Improve your shave! (Turning "pre-shave" on it's head)

I'll put medicated vaseline on my feet at night and then put socks on them. My feet probably weren't fit for the movies but they were soft lol

That's amazing. Learn something every day on B&B.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim, I read this decades ago in a magazine when I was a teen. I was flabbergasted when I read it. I remember some of the actors and actresses they mentioned like Doris Day, Rock Hudson, and Ronald Reagan. It mentioned that it was a habit of many.

Now how true it is may be a matter of debate but those folks they mentioned did stay very young looking for a long time.

I've followed the advice since my teens and have been called a vampire on many occasions after being asked if I ever age. Hopefully I am aging gracefully.

Chris

Having continued my review, outlined in OP, I must say it has kept up with the increasingly harsher climate.

My hands got all dry and torn up so I had to start putting some of my wife's lotion but my face has kept up it's condition and shaving is still a pleasure.

I did switch the face moisturiser to an organic Australian made product called Gaia Organics. It's very light, absorbs instantly and works great. I still add the 3 drops hyaluronic acid to it.

As suggested by a couple of people, I did try a pure glycerin face bar as pre shave but my skin felt tighter after the shave, shop I had to cease using it.
I'm back to just splashing some cold water and lathering up.

PS I'm by no means advocating an exact process or products...I'm only illustrating the concept of skin condition and its impact on shaving.

Have been using Nivea (occasionally Aveeno, or more recently Neutrogena) products on hands and face for years, nothing fancy, just the ordinary cream or lotion.

It’s pretty much a habit imprinted on me in the 50’s by my mother, who always seemed to have the ubiqiotous blue tin of Nivea cream handy, and now at 66 it seems to have taken good care of me and often people are (pretend to be?? :001_cool:) surprised when I tell them my age.

After the shave and aftershave, I apply a small amount to my face and massage the rest into my hands and lower arms. If the aftershave comes in form of a thicker balm or lotion, however, I may skip this routine.

If some bloke should think this is not the “manly” thing to do, so be it.
What do I care?
As an engineer by training, I believe that if you look after the machinery, the machinery will look after you. :thumbup1:

B.

Hi gents, I've really wanted to share this on here...

So, it was a brutal start to the winter season back in Nov. Very cold and very dry air!

My wife pulled out all her moisturizing lotions and applied daily...especially on her face.

I thought to myself: "I don't need any of that!...after all, I use awesome shave soaps and a balm every single day!"

So the days went by and my shaves started changing for the worse.
Rough feeling, irritation, and the stubble just wouldn't cut! I was getting frustrated big time because I strive for an ultra close BBS daily!

My wife then commented my skin looks like her 60 year old mother's skin! She told me to apply a face moisturiser but hey, I'm a man...I don't apply facial moisturizers!

So I got out my pre shave oil and started using that before lathering up. No dice!!
The shaves were still rubbish and I even started blaming it on a bad batch of blades! I got blades from a different batch (I have thousands of Polsilver blades) and still the same result!

So I but the bullet and started applying some facial moisturiser before bed.

After about 3 days, I could feel and see a difference in my shaves!!
After a week, my wife said my skin looks much better and that I don't have a 5 o'clock shadow straight after shaving!

I then read an article online about the difference between dehydrated skin and dry skin. Their advice was to use a combination of water/cream and oil based moisturizers.

So I continued with the facial moisturiser at night and started applying my pre shave oil POST shave, when my face was dripping wet and left it to do its work.

Oh boy, my skin hasn't been this great for many years! I'm now 36 and had skin this nice probably back when I was 30!

Now I'm not doing any pre shave at all. Just splash my face and lather up!
Also, I switch out my blade after 6 shaves but now I'm up to 12 and it's still going strong!

The other funny thing is I classify my skin as oily but since starting this simple routine, my skin is no longer oily at all (yes, despite applying OIL to my face after shaving!!).

This has been a revelation for me and the concept of "pre shave" no longer applies for me as I just don't need it any longer.

I will always subscribe to the mindset that when the skin is conditioned, the shave will automatically be great (all else being equal of course).

I hope this can offer some help to others.

It took me 3 years, but I just recently came to the exact same conclusion as you. It makes me wonder about all the soaps, blades, and razors I thought were “no good for me”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Nivea Men Creme each morning after my shower, I should probably use it each night as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It took me 3 years, but I just recently came to the exact same conclusion as you. It makes me wonder about all the soaps, blades, and razors I thought were “no good for me”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, exactly!
All those blades I threw out in winters after just a few shaves and in this winter, with the skin looked after, I'm up to shave #23 today with the same Polsilver blade!

I use Nivea Men Creme each morning after my shower, I should probably use it each night as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Give it a go.
I'm not sure you'd need it in the Aussie summers. It'd definitely help in the winter months I'd say.

Top Bottom