What's new

Improve your skin condition...Improve your shave! (Turning "pre-shave" on it's head)

Hi gents, I've really wanted to share this on here...

So, it was a brutal start to the winter season back in Nov. Very cold and very dry air!

My wife pulled out all her moisturizing lotions and applied daily...especially on her face.

I thought to myself: "I don't need any of that!...after all, I use awesome shave soaps and a balm every single day!"

So the days went by and my shaves started changing for the worse.
Rough feeling, irritation, and the stubble just wouldn't cut! I was getting frustrated big time because I strive for an ultra close BBS daily!

My wife then commented my skin looks like her 60 year old mother's skin! She told me to apply a face moisturiser but hey, I'm a man...I don't apply facial moisturizers!

So I got out my pre shave oil and started using that before lathering up. No dice!!
The shaves were still rubbish and I even started blaming it on a bad batch of blades! I got blades from a different batch (I have thousands of Polsilver blades) and still the same result!

So I but the bullet and started applying some facial moisturiser before bed.

After about 3 days, I could feel and see a difference in my shaves!!
After a week, my wife said my skin looks much better and that I don't have a 5 o'clock shadow straight after shaving!

I then read an article online about the difference between dehydrated skin and dry skin. Their advice was to use a combination of water/cream and oil based moisturizers.

So I continued with the facial moisturiser at night and started applying my pre shave oil POST shave, when my face was dripping wet and left it to do its work.

Oh boy, my skin hasn't been this great for many years! I'm now 36 and had skin this nice probably back when I was 30!

Now I'm not doing any pre shave at all. Just splash my face and lather up!
Also, I switch out my blade after 6 shaves but now I'm up to 12 and it's still going strong!

The other funny thing is I classify my skin as oily but since starting this simple routine, my skin is no longer oily at all (yes, despite applying OIL to my face after shaving!!).

This has been a revelation for me and the concept of "pre shave" no longer applies for me as I just don't need it any longer.

I will always subscribe to the mindset that when the skin is conditioned, the shave will automatically be great (all else being equal of course).

I hope this can offer some help to others.

Try using a top shelf cleanser in the shower before shaving. This is the most overlooked & undervalued part of a wet shave IMO. This one works great:

Foaming Facial Cleanser | Cleansers | CeraVe

I had tried pre-shave face wash, as well as pre shave oil, pre shave prep with warm water etc. Nothing had worked until I looked from a broader perspective of improving the overall condition of the skin rather than using an "on the spot" method to improve the shave.

Of course I'm not saying these things don't help, because they can definitely enhance the shave, but they do have limitations and these limitations are what hampered my progress.

The shave automatically improved and I have zero need for any pre shave preparation. Just splash cold water and lather away. The shave is very comfortable, very close and my blades are lasting longer. All this in the midst of a brutally dry winter! I'm a happy camper.

Oh, one other benefit I forgot to mention is my skin complexion is now back to its natural light olive, after having turned darker/dull prior to starting these measures.

Congratulations for discovering what works for your dry skin condition.:a14: Each Fall I go through the same dry and cracked knuckles and use a very nice moisturizer myself. By the time January rolls around, the skin has cleared up.

I've been using a glycerin soap for a pre-shave. Glycerin attracts moisture from the air. My skin feels better post shave.

You (OP) have found out what I did 2 or 3 years ago. I, too, had oily skin much of the time, so naturally, I thought I generally had oily skin.

But through the same process you just went through, I found that I actually have dry skin. My understanding is that when one has dry skin and it gets too dry, one's body starts to produce tons of oil to the affected areas...which is what one can then misdiagnose as dry skin.

I also agree with bogeyman that a topshelf face wash is advisable. I have used Billy Jealousy White Knight for years and have found nothing better.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I do things a bit differently but agree with your premise.

Our preshave begins immediately after our shave! Our post-shave starts right before we shave. Both include everything we do or don't do to our skin and whiskers.

I see it as important to at least wash your face before shaving.

Since I've been using top shelf shaving soaps I've had an easier time of it and had to use a lot less of other products. I will say too that using the wrong products or too many products can be damaging to both the skin and the shave.

We all have to figure out what works for us, but, in order to do that we have to be open to possibilities and suggestions and try various products and methods in various combinations and sequences.

I'll make a two word suggestion: Grooming Department.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think pre-shave is an additional step were some people (me) moisturize their face. I have remarkable resistance to razor burn, which I attribute to my pre-post shave routine. I imagine I could move part of the process to nighttime moisturizing, but I already have what works for me figured out.

Glad you figured something that works for you out!

Great concept!! :a14::a14:

I use a moisturizer during the winter months and my skin ‘thanks’ me for it!!

I dated this Asian woman (they seem to take skincare very seriously) for a bit and she had me on this 4-5 step skincare regimen. My skin at the time never looked or felt better. But I couldn't keep up with it after. It was apply x, wait 30 mins, apply y, wait 10 mins, apply z, etc.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So, what is the macho approach here? Wash with Lava soap, moisturize with WD-40?

upload_2019-1-21_11-35-26.png

Some good ideas here. Gonna try for myself. Have noticed recently that my skin isn't looking as good as it did a month ago.
Thanks for the tip.

Only last week i started to wash my face at night with Gamophen soap, apply a splash of Thayers, and once dried (after brushing my teeth), i use Baxter of California's Oil Free Moisturiser.

I feel my face is much softer in the space of 1 week.

Before my shave in the morning, i've been washing my face with a charcoal scrub in the shower right before lathering up.

My shaves have been great since....

I came to similar conclusions, long ago that the function of a pre shave was to prepare the skin for shaving, not to make a protective layer or help the shaving soap performance, nor prepare the hair for shaving. At least that as been my view on pre shave products.

I've yet to find the perfect product and moisturizing can be an option (I've though about it), but I wan't something that can be used just before shaving, maybe 2/3min while I wait for the brush to soak some water (I don't shower before shaving).

I use the Nivea Men Creme before bed and before work. Great stuff. Also, before I shave and get to the shower, I rub Noxzema all over like a mask, then let it sit whilst I have a coffee, and wash it off after the shower.

I agree with moisturizer. I have been applying a moisturizer at night for many years. I use CeraVe but there are other good ones out there, too. Look for a product that has ceramides and hyaluronic acid. A dermatologist recommended I do this.

Great post.

Follows ancient advice. The old Hollywood stars used Vaseline to accomplish the same effects (apply liberally to the skin at night, wipe off the excess and sleep with the residual protection). It kept their skin supple and ready for the camera.

Chris

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The old Hollywood stars used Vaseline to accomplish the same effects (apply liberally to the skin at night, wipe off the excess and sleep with the residual protection). It kept their skin supple and ready for the camera.Chris

That's amazing. Learn something every day on B&B.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom