What's new

Muhle R41: First shave

For me the 2013 R41 is not aggressive enough. The 2011 is more so but it's still not my favorite, mostly because it seems to prefer to be used at a shallow angle and I prefer to shave steep.

My favorite razors so far are the Ikon Tech, the Charcoal Goods Level 3 and the Wolfman WR1 .94. All are very aggressive. Each has outstanding attributes. Each works well at my preferred shave angle.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review, aggressive razors are not on my radar but it is a nice looking razor all the same.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
For me the 2013 R41 is not aggressive enough. The 2011 is more so but it's still not my favorite, mostly because it seems to prefer to be used at a shallow angle and I prefer to shave steep.

My favorite razors so far are the Ikon Tech, the Charcoal Goods Level 3 and the Wolfman WR1 .94. All are very aggressive. Each has outstanding attributes. Each works well at my preferred shave angle.
Interesting ... I use a very steep angle with my R41, and nothing shaves my face closer.

Interesting ... I use a very steep angle with my R41, and nothing shaves my face closer.
See this is one of the reasons why im thinking of getting one. Ive had pretty mild razors for the last 5 years (some cheap parker tto, EJ DE89, merkur 37c slant, gillette slim) so im a little worried about the aggression, but i also need a 3 pass shave with touch ups to get bbs, and i also shave steep meaning i ride the guard. Hopefully that’s what is considered steep. I’ve been confused with that before.

Hoping the R41 is a good progression for me. If not im not out a large sum.

What specifically is it about the bulldog handle? Is it just the weight or is there something special about the bulldog?

What I mean is, if it’s weight only, what can the bulldog do that say, a Maggard MR”X” couldn’t also accomplish for a couple bucks less?

As you might tell I’ve been obsessing about this for a couple days. Time to man up and ask.
The bulldog is great for a few reasons. The knurling on the handle is pronounced enough to give me a really secure grip. The handle that you get with the stock R41 razor was a little on the slippery side. The weight of the handle is perfect and gives the whole razor a nice balanced feel. Also, it is stainless steel so will outlast me.

As far as comparisons to other handles like the Maggard one you mentioned, I can't speak to this as I have never tried that handle. It may give you everything the bulldog could for less money. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me on handles can weigh in?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I like to use the R41 on Sunday mornings. I don't shave on Saturdays. It does a great job on 2 days growth. I normally only do 2 passes with the 41 with some atg clean up under the chin. I find it too aggressive to use more than 3 days in a row. I find it to be very smooth but I have to focus on slower strokes with no pressure.

Second shave with R41 this morning, though I almost stopped and reached for something milder. For the record, a Red Tip (to me) is the same as any Super Speed, and I shaved a week once with a FB on "9" ... I also really like Single Rings. Mean is good. Not sensitive; in fact, with a lot of mild razors - Tech for example - I find myself using pressure to get a close shave.

It's the first pass with R41 that is the real face-scraper, second pass and clean up is fine.

You know you're in for an experience. Really not for beginners; this is for the adventurous. And I'm not positive I'm in that group ... will give this thing a week, though.

AA

Second shave with R41 this morning, though I almost stopped and reached for something milder. For the record, a Red Tip (to me) is the same as any Super Speed, and I shaved a week once with a FB on "9" ... I also really like Single Rings. Mean is good. Not sensitive; in fact, with a lot of mild razors - Tech for example - I find myself using pressure to get a close shave.

It's the first pass with R41 that is the real face-scraper, second pass and clean up is fine.

You know you're in for an experience. Really not for beginners; this is for the adventurous. And I'm not positive I'm in that group ... will give this thing a week, though.

AA
Well if you don't end up liking it gimme a bump I might take it off your hands. I'm thinking about grabbing one but best to adopt rather than bring another into the world ya know?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well if you don't end up liking it gimme a bump I might take it off your hands. I'm thinking about grabbing one but best to adopt rather than bring another into the world ya know?
The head is just $25 with free shipping at WCS ...

AA

I started my DE journey with the R41 and found it such a perfect match that I never bought another razor. I was given a straight about 5 weeks ago which I’ve been using daily. Both I find are absolutely brilliant

See this is one of the reasons why im thinking of getting one. Ive had pretty mild razors for the last 5 years (some cheap parker tto, EJ DE89, merkur 37c slant, gillette slim) so im a little worried about the aggression, but i also need a 3 pass shave with touch ups to get bbs, and i also shave steep meaning i ride the guard. Hopefully that’s what is considered steep. I’ve been confused with that before.

Hoping the R41 is a good progression for me. If not im not out a large sum.
That's true. Among the aggressive razors it's not overly expensive, though I don't consider it a great value since the construction is Zamak. There are similar razors out of china, like the Yaqi Beast, that can be had for $7 including shipping to the U.S.

Last week I noticed you could get the notorious/legendary/hated/loved/feared Muhle R41 head for about a third of the razor - and thought, "shoot, I have tons of handles."

It came yesterday. Technically an open comb, it's really both ... Seems like a good idea; bar and comb kinda combined.

MÜHLE Shaving Culture | Razors | purchase online

Popped in a Dorco Prime Platinum - with one shave already on it - and took it for a spin this morning.

As soon as razor touched face, my eyes opened - wide. You are being kissed but a raw blade here! It reminded me of my most-dangerous Single Ring - blade feel is up there with a shavette. Warning signs appear!

With the lightest of touches, I carefully shaved - with respect to the exposure/blade feel, which is considerable. Not a beginner's razor, no.

Aggressive vs. Efficient: to me, an efficient razor is one where a second and third pass remove nothing, because the first pass got it all. It does not have to be aggressive to do this; my 1941 Ranger Tech gives you a glass-smooth face without being mean. Aggressive, on the other hand, means a close shave, yes, but possibly at the expense of removing your whole top layer of skin. You can really FEEL an aggressive Old Type or Single Ring, and need to tread with care. ATG is especially dangerous.

Muhle R41 falls under "aggressive." I got a super-smooth shave, yes, but I wasn't exactly relaxed while doing it. I have the impression (with only one shave in, of course) you'd best be really careful with this razor or you will need to have not just alum, but styptic pencil ready.

So. Who's a fan? A lot of people have them here! But when is it chosen?

AA

Great review!!

I agree with your concept of ‘aggressive vs. efficient.’ For me the R41 is simply too aggressive.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great review!!

I agree with your concept of ‘aggressive vs. efficient.’ For me the R41 is simply too aggressive.

It strikes me as a "change of pace" razors, one to break up the usual routine. It does that!

AA

Great review!! I agree with your concept of ‘aggressive vs. efficient.’ For me the R41 is simply too aggressive.

Too aggressive....not aggressive enough......

I'm in the middle. Perfectly comfortable with the R41 and a nice sharp blade. I'm learning to play around with the shaving angle. You can learn a lot from using this razor head.

Great review @Ad Astra . I love this razor, and it is actually the only DE razor I use any more. I'm mostly a straight razor shaver, but when I am on the road, I use a DE, and the R41 is my choice. You'll have to experiment with the best handle for you. I found that the bulldog handle works perfectly with the R41 head. Throw one of those on there if you've got one.

I've been using R41 exclusively for a couple of years. I still see no reason to change. It's a truly great razor once you get used to it.

It was my second DE purchase after my EJ89lbl. I have spent many hours learning that razor and I am quite happy with it. Usually a 2 passer (WTG/XTG) for me but I have had days where I was in the moment and decided to enjoy the extra lather in the bowl and finish with ATG...like glass my face. Honestly though I have to agree that there is no razor I own that quite commands my “attention” a 1/4 of the way through that first WTG stroke...man, if you’re sleepy...you won’t be! :badger:

Last edited:
I've been using R41 exclusively for a couple of years. I still see no reason to change. It's a truly great razor once you get used to it.

The more I use my R41 the more I like it. It's completely reliable - it cuts what you want to cut and where you want to cut, and it doesn't leave stubble. It's just a very precise tool - it does what you tell it to do. I like that.

Top Bottom