What's new

FATIP GRANDE - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

All,

Two shaves in, using a Feather blade and Tabac, and all I can really say is....Wow!
I was encouraged by Esox to give the Fatip a go and for about $25, who was I to say...No.

Both shaves have been extremely smooth and efficient. I can get a BBS shave without much effort and experience little to no irritation. Some have found this to be an aggressive razor, but the thing I love about this razor so far is that I always feel like I know where the blade is and how to keep it moving along without biting in any way. Zero nicks or even the hint of one.

As for the fit and finish, well, it seems to be a non-issue on the razor I received. It all lines up right and it all seems very well done. Perhaps, this is not an issue for Fatip anymore. I hope so, because it would be a shame for those issues to tarnish a very great and efficient design.

Recently, I wrote a very glowing first impression review of the Gamechanger .84, but if push came to shove, then I am thinking I might choose the Fatip Grande overall. It gives such a sense of confidence in knowing that you will get a close shave without having to worry "too much" about it. This is what I look for most in a razor. The Gamechanger is very similar in that respect.

Lastly, and probably a nonsense observation, but it seems to me that brass, and nickel plated in this case, is every bit as good, and maybe better, than stainless. This thing just glides over the skin and the metal seems smoother to me somehow. I don't know. Just a thought.

Anyway, I highly encourage everyone to give this one a shot. For the price, I am not sure how it can be beat. Like Arko, it might not be for everyone, but there is no denying it works well, especially for the money. In fact, I will use this razor exclusively for the time being and see how much more I can get out of it until.....

The razor that Esox says will kill this RAD killer comes: The GEM MMOC. That one is on the way along with some coated SE blades. Looking forward to my first impressions of that baby, since the advice I have been given so far is spot on.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The Fatip OC is probably my favorite DE head. Exceedingly smooth, highly efficient, and only moderately aggressive. In fact it is very much lacking in aggression, in relation to its high efficiency. It has the highest efficiency-to-aggression ratio of any razor I own. That's what I love about it. For reference, I (mostly) use Feather blades in it.

I'm glad you've joined the club, my friend!

Last edited:
Agree on all of your points. They've got the ratio right on this one. Easily a daily driver that you might not have to use daily, due to its efficiency :) lol

I like the club...It's a good club...And the price of admission is incredible!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The Fatip OC is probably my favorite DE head. Exceedingly smooth, highly efficient, and only moderately aggressive. In fact it is very much lacking in aggression, in relation to its high efficiency. It has the highest efficiency-to-aggression ratio of any razor I own. That's what I love about it. For reference, I (mostly) use Feather blades in it.

I'm glad you've joined the club, my friend!
:thumbup1:

Heh. I'm thinking of starting a thread, where I discuss my recent revelation of a new parameter! Ready? It's the "efficiency-aggression" ratio.

(Or, is it "aggression-efficiency" ratio?)

Anyway. I found my two most favorite razors, the RR SLOC & Fatip Piccolo, have a very high level of efficiency, in relation to their aggression. In fact, they both seem among the best in this parameter, for their given aggression level. And I realized that's what I try to achieve in finding a razor: The highest level of efficiency, for the least amount of aggression.

But good luck quantifying this ...

Heh. I'm thinking of starting a thread, where I discuss my recent revelation of a new parameter! Ready? It's the "efficiency-aggression" ratio.

(Or, is it "aggression-efficiency" ratio?)

Anyway. I found my two most favorite razors, the RR SLOC & Fatip Piccolo, have a very high level of efficiency, in relation to their aggression. In fact, they both seem among the best in this parameter, for their given aggression level. And I realized that's what I try to achieve in finding a razor: The highest level of efficiency, for the least amount of aggression.

But good luck quantifying this ...

Honestly, it is all I ever look for as well. To me, the best razor is the closest shave that is fun and, a bit, challenging. Too mild or too challenging are both not fun to me for different reasons. The Gamechanger .84 checked many boxes until the Fatip checked them just a wee bit better for me. I like your idea!

Honestly, it is all I ever look for as well. To me, the best razor is the closest shave that is fun and, a bit, challenging. Too mild or too challenging are both not fun to me for different reasons. The Gamechanger .84 checked many boxes until the Fatip checked them just a wee bit better for me. I like your idea!
Hah! Thanks for the validation.

Maybe I will start that thread, after all.

I like your idea!

Hah! Thanks for the validation.

Maybe I will start that thread, after all.

if you really want to go more in depth with this you should try out the fatip gentile plate too. i made a thread about my piccolos that i plan on updating again in a few weeks after i try out few more blades with both plates. I'll be trying my first Feather this weekend.

My original assessment in that thread was that the gentile plate was more "comfortable" but i think i need to change that term to "easier", or something like that, because the open comb can still be extremely comfortable & smooth with the right blade and the right technique....but the gentile seems to achieve the same results with less attention and carefulness, i can just zip it around kinda willy nilly and it's still amazing. I think you're hitting onto the same type of idea here.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm glad to hear you get along with it Derek. I'm always relieved when something I recommend works out. Thankfully, thats more often than not haha.

For the price, even twice the price, I dont believe theres a better DE. For me, there is no better DE, but some come close. My made in England Old Type clone, while 1/3 as efficient, is a wonderful razor. My Gillette Single Ring is also a wonderful razor, being half as efficient as my Grande. All are smooth, comfortable and give a very close shave, but if efficiency is #1, few DE's can compete with the Fatip OC head. Get the angle just right and few are as comfortable.

The MMOC is different in use and takes some time to learn, but once you have, its stellar.

Brass is heavier than stainless steel...

if you really want to go more in depth with this you should try out the fatip gentile plate too. i made a thread about my piccolos that i plan on updating again in a few weeks after i try out few more blades with both plates. I'll be trying my first Feather this weekend.

My original assessment in that thread was that the gentile plate was more "comfortable" but i think i need to change that term to "easier", or something like that, because the open comb can still be extremely comfortable & smooth with the right blade and the right technique....but the gentile seems to achieve the same results with less attention and carefulness, i can just zip it around kinda willy nilly and it's still amazing. I think you're hitting onto the same type of idea here.

I am going to have to give the Gentile a shot if this is the case. I am a Fatip fanboy now LOL

Question: Does the handle on the Gentile work on the Piccolo and Grande too?

Thanks...Derek

I'm glad to hear you get along with it Derek. I'm always relieved when something I recommend works out. Thankfully, thats more often than not haha.

For the price, even twice the price, I dont believe theres a better DE. For me, there is no better DE, but some come close. My made in England Old Type clone, while 1/3 as efficient, is a wonderful razor. My Gillette Single Ring is also a wonderful razor, being half as efficient as my Grande. All are smooth, comfortable and give a very close shave, but if efficiency is #1, few DE's can compete with the Fatip OC head. Get the angle just right and few are as comfortable.

The MMOC is different in use and takes some time to learn, but once you have, its stellar.

Brass is heavier than stainless steel...

Very appreciative of the recommendation, my friend!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am a Fatip fanboy now LOL

Question: Does the handle on the Gentile work on the Piccolo and Grande too?

Welcome to the club!

Yep, handles and other parts all interchange. I cant remember all the names we've come up with, maybe @Capisco Capisce can. The Grande Genolo...The Grande Piccoloni lol.

Some even use the Fatip base with other caps and handles. @jmudrick is Dr.Frankenstein. Or is that Frankensteen? lol.

7796850-3x2-940x627.jpg

Welcome to the club!

Yep, handles and other parts all interchange. I cant remember all the names we've come up with, maybe @Capisco Capisce can. The Grande Genolo...The Grande Piccoloni lol.

Some even use the Fatip base with other caps and handles. @jmudrick is Dr.Frankenstein. Or is that Frankensteen? lol.

View attachment 936093

Okay, cool, then must get a Gentile too. I don't think I want any handle smaller than the Grande, so no need for a Piccolo. Good to know.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Okay, cool, then must get a Gentile too. I don't think I want any handle smaller than the Grande, so no need for a Piccolo. Good to know.

Theres always the Retro.

Gold-Retro-Original.jpg

The Schone too, but not in a Gentile version I dont believe. A very nice handle, although I'd make sure the plating matches between the two.

s-l640.jpg

Top Bottom