What's new

FATIP GRANDE - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Daily driver is a made by Fatip Schone OC in nickel over brass. Twenty bucks at Alrossa. (USA only.) Polsilver & Gillette yellow blades are an excellent match. In fact, recently ordered 100 of each.

Mac

I went for the Piccolo, but almost did the Grande.

With the Grande, my plan was to fill the handle with very fine shotgun birdshot or something akin to a steel dowel rod, held in place by a glue/resin like Gorilla Glue. That would produce an excellent heft, IMO.

But the Piccolo is heavier than the Grande, so my practical side triumphed over my desire to tinker with the Grande.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I went for the Piccolo, but almost did the Grande.

With the Grande, my plan was to fill the handle with very fine shotgun birdshot or something akin to a steel dowel rod, held in place by a glue/resin like Gorilla Glue. That would produce an excellent heft, IMO.

But the Piccolo is heavier than the Grande, so my practical side triumphed over my desire to tinker with the Grande.

I have the range of Fatips. Nothing wrong with the Piccolo that putting the handle from a Grande on it doesn't fix. In other words, I find the Piccolo handle too skinny. That's just me, and I'm not being critical of anyone's choice or opinion. I'm sure there are perfectly rational gentlemen who find the Grande handle too fat.

3.Fatip.Razors.Plisson.Gentile.Piccolo.640. to 6-18.JPG

The Plisson (far left) has an amazing handle. It's "way too long," but it works great. My favorite of the Fatips (my Fatip Slant is in transit so I've not tried it yet) is the Mk1 Grande but good luck on finding one. There may be Mk1 Piccolos available; there were last time I looked for them.

Try the Fatip at a steep angle or its design angle (neutral angle). For me, it's vastly better steep and lousy shallow (but, again, others report the opposite).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the range of Fatips. Nothing wrong with the Piccolo that putting the handle from a Grande on it doesn't fix. In other words, I find the Piccolo handle too skinny. That's just me, and I'm not being critical of anyone's choice or opinion. I'm sure there are perfectly rational gentlemen who find the Grande handle too fat.

View attachment 978966

The Plisson (far left) has an amazing handle. It's "way too long," but it works great. My favorite of the Fatips (my Fatip Slant is in transit so I've not tried it yet) is the Mk1 Grande but good luck on finding one. There may be Mk1 Piccolos available; there were last time I looked for them.

Try the Fatip at a steep angle or its design angle (neutral angle). For me, it's vastly better steep and lousy shallow (but, again, others report the opposite).

Happy shaves,

Jim

proxy.php

Top Bottom