What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Gave my 9 inch Escher a overhaul. Re glued the parts of the label that were loose-flaking. Cleaned the paper the best without damaging. Gave it a few coats of lacquer-sealer to lock in place. So as not to be a oaf, lapped the side edge with no saw marks to see the dual layer inside. Working surface is a nice color with a soft/muddy personality. This is my largest Thuri and look forward to playing with it

IMG_2731.JPG
IMG_2732.JPG
IMG_2733.JPG

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Escher Barbers Delight & unlabeled cloudy thuringian. The yellow green Escher Barbers Delight and the dual color light green Eschers Barbers Delight are very fast and wonderful hones, a real pleasure to use no doubt, but the cloudy unlabeled thuri is not second to either. It's a very nice stone and just as good. They are are thuringian hones the labels just cost more [emoji23].
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A nice set of triplets

Thanks timwcic that's a nice piece of rock you have as well and good job on the resto!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Excuse the bad pic, I just purchased this on the ‘bay and these are the seller’s pics. It is still en route to me. A quick google search found this info:

-It is a Hohenzollern hone, decidedly a quality Thuringian brand.
-Likely produced from 1890-1910ish.
-Despite te Germnan on the front, it was probably made for US import.
-It may (like many) have some connection to Droescher and therefore maybe to Escher. In fact, te signature on the bottom right of the case may read “Droescher.”

What thinks the forum??

proxy.php

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Me thinks your scored. I’ve owned a few of those and they are very high quality Thuringians.

My first Thuringian Stone arrived today. It looks like the pics. And it feels really fine and smooth. Much like my hard Jnats (but not glassy like a SB ark).

The stone is unfinished and the label seems increddibly vulnerable to me. I’ve sealed other stones (just raw rrock) with nail polish in the past, but it seems wrong with this label. What’s the consensus method for sealing a stone and the box with label?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
To each his own, but if at all possible I would preserve the label naturally by just minding it while I was using the stone. After lapping it shouldn’t really be getting that wet. YMMV but I cringe when I see a beautiful Escher or other labeled stone that’s covered in high gloss lacquer.

That’s interesting. I have the same reaction when I see a “naked” label. Haha! Either way, these sure are special stones!!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
My first Thuringian Stone arrived today. It looks like the pics. And it feels really fine and smooth. Much like my hard Jnats (but not glassy like a SB ark).
The stone is unfinished and the label seems increddibly vulnerable to me. I’ve sealed other stones (just raw rrock) with nail polish in the past, but it seems wrong with this label. What’s the consensus method for sealing a stone and the box with label?

I also prefer any label preserved and uncoated by anything. I try to remove the label to protect it. Just recently I had a Escher label that was just flaking off just my looking at it and it had to be coated. Could not remove without destroying. I used this lacquer to seal. I used thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner. I was just going to give a coat or two. Was so impressed I gave a few more coats, wet sanding in between. After building up a good covering and a final wet sand, buffed it out with some white compound on a wheel. Very Impressed with results

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019C2LXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMHO, if you think it will hold up, baby it and use carefully and leave uncoated

That’s interesting. I have the same reaction when I see a “naked” label. Haha! Either way, these sure are special stones!!
:D There's always the fumes too...bonus dude (-_^).
It works well for the "celebrated" and "genuine" labels + the stones themselves (I find it smoother than whatever Peter uses on the sides of the newer Thuris - probably I have more time to add coats than he does).
While I get the whole "cashew lacquer for J-nats" thing, there isn't any cultural or historic connection between European stones and certain lacquers (that I know of).

Maybe there is a purpose built label preserving lacquer for restorers of old beer & wine bottles or 78 record labels... but I can just imagine the nightmare of getting something like that in the UK .

Top Bottom