What's new

Reflecting on the journey so far... how about yours?

Less than a year ago my electric razor needed replaced. On an impulse I bought a Merkur 34c DE razor instead. Why, I don't know. But I quickly found that for the first time in my life I actually enjoyed shaving. I was set for life now because I knew that DE (unlike my electrics) would last forever. And I had fun experimenting with shaving products and came to dearly enjoy Feather DE blades.

Then I saw an old Gillette SS razor for sale that was manufactured the year I was born, over 60 years ago... so I bought it and enjoyed it also. I started reading about wet shaving online and stumbled upon a recipe for making my own shaving soap. It didn't look very complicated at all, so I thought what-the-heck, and made my first batch of hot process shaving soap/croap. I was so surprised to find that I liked that better than the products I had been using that I ordered online. Plus, it was fun to experiment with different shaving soap recipes - and finally I began making my own recipes... this was about the time my wife looked worried about me and this shaving thing.

I read about straight razor shaving, and watched a few YouTube videos... and the next thing I knew, I was shaving with a Feather SS shavette. But my first few shaves were disappointing. I'm thankful that I did find encouragement on this forum though, and I kept at it and after persevering I found I deeply enjoyed shaving with it. Then came more experimenting with blades for the shavette (pretty fun too).

More reading on the forum had me curious about a traditional straight razor, and a member here (Jnatcat) was kind enough to set me up with a older vintage SR he had honed, so I could try this SR experience on a tight budget. I will always be grateful for what he did. LOL, my wife probably isn't so happy about it though, since this experience really had me amped-up to go on into the SR world (an old story here I'm sure... and I see no end in sight now).

I won't bore you with the details, but I stumbled upon the honing thread here. Mrs Bur_Oak at this point knew I was lost and no turning back as I let her know I wanted to learn to hone my own razors. I really didn't have the money to buy a set of stones, but I came across a Slash McCoy thread about lapping film... I then found his YouTube videos, and thought what-the-heck and ordered a set of film. You know the rest I'm sure... next I'm into diamond paste and dragging Mrs Bur_Oak to Hobby Lobby for balsa wood and to the local big box hardware store for marble tile (not for fancy counter tops but to further feed my razor habit).

... anyway, today I was reflecting back to that morning, less than a year ago, when that old electric razor died. What a wild ride it has been since. I am deeply grateful to everyone here who has helped me on this journey so far (enablers... you know who you are). LOL, and I don't see any end in sight. Mrs Bur_Oak looks at me now like I have finally lost my mind. Just today I was trying to explain about the importance of balsa & diamond paste when one of my boards came up missing. I was in a dither until I found it later. LOL, maybe they need a support group for spouses here :)

I hear you on the spouse support group! My journey started when my mom decided to move out of the family house into a condo. I picked up the old Tech and Super adjustable razors that my brothers and I used as kids. I started seeking information on the razors and stumbled upon B&B. Now, with 79 razors, 67 soaps and creams, 24 brushes, 73 aftershaves and 25 different blade brands (and counting) one could say I'm hooked. I've been meaning to try a straight, just not had the opportunity yet.

I started about 5/6 years ago, when my first boy was conceived, my wife and I were frugal with our expending and didnt sacrifice any wants as long as the needs were covered, but when we got to see our boy in the sonogram it hit me: save money! So one of the first departments thats saw layoffs was beauty products, my wife on make up, shoes, bags, etc.

So it was time to do my part and started looking for cheaper products, but I was cornered when it got to shaving, am I willing to sacrifice comfort and efficiency and purchase the cheap, two blade disposables? (silly me, I thought 5 blade cartdriges was comfortable and efficient) and then I stumbled upon DE razors and a whole new world opened up! Like if I just passed on to an alternate universe where vintage, I mean, truly ages ago technology was better than todays researched and developed gismos! And like anyone here, the rest of the story can be very easy to guess, havent touch a cartdrige ever since, now I shave with DEs, SEs, shavettes, straights, you name it, have tried evrything wet shaving related that I can get my hands on and loving it.

As for the original purpose of saving money, well, I am...I think I am seeing light at the end of the rabbit hole, Dont get me wrong, we did sacrifices and saw paying dividends, but it was definately not thanks to shaving products!

Now, now fellas. It is just shaving. Dragging a sharp thing across your jaw. Reducing whiskers ain't like seeking enlightenment. Perspective, please. Why, if it were not a fact a shaving brush needs six days to dry, minimum, I would be able to get by with just one or two. And we all know, using the same razor every single day can stunt your growth. And soaps! Use only one and risk a skin rash. But hey, let's not pretend this is a higher calling. Shaving will not bring about world peace. It also won't start a war. It is what it is. :)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Now, now fellas. It is just shaving. Dragging a sharp thing across your jaw. Reducing whiskers ain't like seeking enlightenment. Perspective, please. Why, if it were not a fact a shaving brush needs six days to dry, minimum, I would be able to get by with just one or two. And we all know, using the same razor every single day can stunt your growth. And soaps! Use only one and risk a skin rash. But hey, let's not pretend this is a higher calling. Shaving will not bring about world peace. It also won't start a war. It is what it is. :)
:001_smile My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond. Post 672 on...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Started with disposables, but discovered DE still existed and tried that instead. Dabbled with cartridge systems occasionally, but kept returning to DE. Briefly tried using a foil electric, but that didn't last long. It hurt me, so I hurt it back.

Now in mid 40s, I consider DE to be my main shaving method, but am now dabbling with straight and shavette, and restoring obsolete shaving systems to try out. Successfully avoided all rabbit holes and acquisition disorders for three decades.

Started with disposables, but discovered DE still existed and tried that instead. Dabbled with cartridge systems occasionally, but kept returning to DE. Briefly tried using a foil electric, but that didn't last long. It hurt me, so I hurt it back.

Now in mid 40s, I consider DE to be my main shaving method, but am now dabbling with straight and shavette, and restoring obsolete shaving systems to try out. Successfully avoided all rabbit holes and acquisition disorders for three decades.

Don't you have a partial beard? :a15:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Don't you have a partial beard? :a15:

Yes, handlebarred goatee would prob be the best way of describing it in it's current form. I've had periods of being fully bearded, and fully shaven too. Last time I was fully bearded was October last year, last time I was fully shaven was maybe 8-10 years ago at a guess. DE has still been the main shaving method for the last 25+ years.

Yes, handlebarred goatee would prob be the best way of describing it in it's current form. I've had periods of being fully bearded, and fully shaven too. Last time I was fully bearded was October last year, last time I was fully shaven was maybe 8-10 years ago at a guess. DE has still been the main shaving method for the last 25+ years.
For me the area below the nose and chin are where I have to take the most care.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For me the area below the nose and chin are where I have to take the most care.

A lot of people do seem to have that issue, even very experienced shavers. I never found them any more problematic than anywhere else, and I consider myself lucky in that respect.

I only had an issue there once, and that was a slip of the razor when shaving upwards at the right hand end of the tache. The razor slipped, and I whacked the side on my nostril quite hard with the razor. The cut took ages to stop bleeding. That was a LONG time ago though, in fact I think I was still in my teens.

A lot of people do seem to have that issue, even very experienced shavers. I never found them any more problematic than anywhere else, and I consider myself lucky in that respect.

I only had an issue there once, and that was a slip of the razor when shaving upwards at the right hand end of the tache. The razor slipped, and I whacked the side on my nostril quite hard with the razor. The cut took ages to stop bleeding. That was a LONG time ago though, in fact I think I was still in my teens.

No problem at all, just saying I take more care in those areas. If I had hair there as you do using a straight razor would be less of a concern.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No problem at all, just saying I take more care in those areas. If I had hair there as you do using a straight razor would be less of a concern.

My earlier comments relate to DE and cartridge shaving only. I have never tried shaving upper lip or chin with straight or shavette, so I don't know how much more tricky (or not) that might be for me. However, the length of tasche and goatee would take me several months to grow back, so I'll not be trying it out of curiosity either :D

My earlier comments relate to DE and cartridge shaving only. I have never tried shaving upper lip or chin with straight or shavette, so I don't know how much more tricky (or not) that might be for me. However, the length of tasche and goatee would take me several months to grow back, so I'll not be trying it out of curiosity either :D
Yes, I had a handlebar for a few and it took a long time.

I was surprised by a few things I discovered on my journey. I was surprised by how much easier it is to shave with a straight razor that is properly sharpened. I can see how this one factor can make-or-break a person's experience transitioning to a SR. A truly sharp SR seems to just wipe away my whiskers effortlessly, but that same razor, even with a BIT less sharp edge results in a frustrating experience. I'll bet a lot of people who give up on SRs do so, not due to technique issues, but just not having the razor sharp enough.

I was surprised by how much better my shave experience is, when I shower immediately prior to shaving. For me it is a night-and-day difference. Enough of a difference that even if I don't need a shower, I take one anyway if I'm going to shave. Nothing else quite substitutes for that shower prep factor. I found that VERY surprising, that it could make that much of a difference to me.

I was surprised by how using extra virgin olive oil as a pre-shave and post shave makes my skin feel incredible. Not greasy. Just an amazing conditioner - especially during the winter months that can be brutal on my face when I'm outside in the freezing cold.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'll bet a lot of people who give up on SRs do so, not due to technique issues, but just not having the razor sharp enough.

Funny you mention that. I was reading the above posts about shaving the upper lip and thought to myself "It would need to be very sharp to do that easily and comfortably ATG." Or I suppose, even XTG.

The sharper the razor is, the easier the shave would be I'd think, but at the same time, your technique needs to be just as finely honed.

Funny you mention that. I was reading the above posts about shaving the upper lip and thought to myself "It would need to be very sharp to do that easily and comfortably ATG." Or I suppose, even XTG.

The sharper the razor is, the easier the shave would be I'd think, but at the same time, your technique needs to be just as finely honed.

+1
Practicing my technique, over time, made once-difficult areas of my face much easier to shave. It just took a time investment and perseverance. Having a superbly honed instrument to work with does make this incredibly easier than just a moderately sharp razor. To me it is night-and-day better. I now can understand why straight razors have such a dedicated following because there really isn't anything quite like the experience of shaving with one, once you have your technique down - and - you have a razor honed to its potential sharpness.

Top Bottom