What's new

Is there an equivalent non-zamak R41?

I'm a one razor person. After finding the Mühle R41 and Feather blade combination, I have zero desire to try anything else. That is, until I found out that my R41 won't last forever. It will last a long time, to be sure, but more reading on the forums leaves me a little anxious.

Is there a comparable razor that is brass/stainless/et al. that is similar to an R41?

With respect, why not but a backup head for $30 if you like it so much rather than spending $200 on another razor. Alternatively get a $30 Fatip. No it's not the same but it certainly is efficient and all brass.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I understand your point, and I’m like you. I like to think that my razor will last forever and it’s a well built, robust and durable material, with tight tolerances and well refined. I think the Timeless 0.95 OC is not far from the R41, at least I found similar levels of efficiency

With respect, why not but a backup head for $30 if you like it so much rather than spending $200 on another razor. Alternatively get a $30 Fatip. No it's not the same but it certainly is efficient and all brass.

Totally agree on that. Buy a couple back ups and you're set.

M

member 119848

A Charcoal Goods Lvl3 razor is something that someone who enjoys an R41 razor might be fond of.
+1
Being a big fan of the R41, and a minimalist, I have subscribed to the Charcoal Goods waitlist in order to acquire a Level-3.

Totally agree on that. Buy a couple back ups and you're set.

With all due respect I think you guys are missing the point. The gentleman is specifically asking for a high quality razor. I had both the Fatip and the R41 and they soon started to lose the coating. Not a big deal for some, but a big deal for me. This won’t happen in a nice SS razor [emoji41]

With all due respect I think you guys are missing the point. The gentleman is specifically asking for a high quality razor. I had both the Fatip and the R41 and they soon started to lose the coating. Not a big deal for some, but a big deal for me. This won’t happen in a nice SS razor [emoji41]
I don't know of another SS razor comparable to the R41. Most get their aggressive posture from gap rather than exposure and simply have a different feel.

Grab the Karve Christopher Bradley DE with an aggressive base plate. The E and F just got released and the D already gives me the best shave of any of my razors. Price is right and the craftsmanship is superb.

Note: Haven’t tried the Charcoal L3 yet but my number should be called within a month.

Today's Mühle R41 and R89 have a brass thread. Thus they should be able to outlive most other zamak razors. Dropping them might still not be the best idea, of course.

I'm a one razor person. After finding the Mühle R41 and Feather blade combination, I have zero desire to try anything else. That is, until I found out that my R41 won't last forever. It will last a long time, to be sure, but more reading on the forums leaves me a little anxious.

Why wont it last forever? How long will it last? What causes it not to last forever?
Is there a comparable razor that is brass/stainless/et al. that is similar to an R41?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If you want efficiency...

Alternatively get a $30 Fatip.

I use mine directly ATG first pass at ~48 hours growth. One buffing pass, one very light clean up over 2 swirl growth patterns on my neck for a 8-10 hour BBS. As long as I do my part I dont even feel like I've shaved. Total shave takes 3-5 minutes.

I had both the Fatip and the R41 and they soon started to lose the coating

The only plating I've seen wear on Fatip razors is the black gun metal finish. I havent seen a nickel, chrome or gold plated Fatip with any plating issues.

I've been using my gold Grande almost a year now and it looks as good as the day I bought it. @Raven Koenes has several Fatips, one from the 1980's. None have plating issues.

I did not know this. So that's a brass stud in the zamak top cap then?

I've heard they did make that change. The plating on the threads was wearing prematurely, and below is what happens.

qybjwn.jpg

If you want efficiency...

The only plating I've seen wear on Fatip razors is the black gun metal finish. I havent seen a nickel, chrome or gold plated Fatip with any plating issues.

I've been using my gold Grande almost a year now and it looks as good as the day I bought it. @Raven Koenes has several Fatips, one from the 1980's. None have plating issue

Mine has got plating loss around the stud on the bottom of the top cap.

Top Bottom