What's new

Is there an equivalent non-zamak R41?

As of now the only adjustable that creeps in the aggressiveness of the R41, Fatip OC, Ikon Tech is the Gibbs Adjustable when cranked up to #6. I will see if the Rex is in the same vicinity once its delivered to me since the group buy is already

I’ve shaved with the Rex and I have a couple of Gibbs and the Rex is not as efficient or as smooth as the Gibbs with both on the highest setting.
With that said I think the OP has a few options if he wants just 1 razor that will not only last the rest of his life but also give a comprable shave to a R41.
As a lot have mentioned just get a back up or two as far as just the heads. Get yourself a nice SS Bulldog handle. I’ve got my R41 on a Maggard version. To me that’s the least expensive way to go. Haven’t shaved with a Fatip so can’t comment but the R41 efficiency can only be matched or exceeded by the Charcoal Goods L 3 OC but it’s brass and it will patina and if thats an issue with you then it can be plated in Rhodium but now your talking about having some some bucks invested in it but it’s an awesome razor and it would certainly last a lifetime.
The Ikon Tech is another option to me an is a bit more efficient than the R41 but not quite as smooth and less forgiving and it is definitely not a mindless type shaver as it demands your attention but I get great shaves out of it but wouldn’t recommend it as a daily driver.

SS is alway a good long lasting material and the 3 hat come to mind would be a Timeless .95 OC or Dual comb. Great shaver and it’s just slightly less efficient than the R41.

The other option that one member suggested is a Wolfman and it would have to be the .86 gap OC baseplate to be as efficient as the R41.

Last option would be an ATT SS with their most efficient baseplate.
Just my 2 cents.

Good hunting!

Brass threads in the zamack caps aren’t the cure all (See picture). This is what happened to me with a Variant and I’ve seen similar pictures on the web with Merkurs. The vender was more than great and sent out a new razor instead of just a new top cap. I fixed this with JB Weld and it held, just don’t trust that fix under pressure in an adjustable. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Variant and would buy another, but take precautions. I now press down on the top cap to relieve any additional pressure before tightening the adjustment knob. I also leave the top cap loose when not in use to avoid issues. No problems at all with replacement, but I now know the potential exists.

I also love my Edwin Jagger but only after 4 years of limited use, it is basically turning to dust. 2 unique zamack experiences for me.

Attachments

• 728DF62C-5CF1-44CA-9551-6F15667B917C.jpeg
    728DF62C-5CF1-44CA-9551-6F15667B917C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Curious if you have tried a Mingshi/Qshave clone on setting 6,or even 5.Some consider that to be quite "aggressive".
yes it is quite aggressive but I wont consider it as positive experience as the R41, Fatip, Ikon Tech because anything pass setting 3 on the Futur and Futur clones the blade chatter is more pronounced, so while its in the ball park of R41 aggression its not a comfy shave

I was in your shoes exactly. One razor guy, loved the R41 and used it solely, concerned about longevity.
I picked up an Ikon Tech to compare. For awhile they were neck and neck. Then I tried a couple different handles on the Tech and it jumped ahead with a longer and lighter handle. I actually ended up selling the R41 and now use the Ikon Tech as my only razor. Still have to be careful with the threads, as it's some kind of aluminum alloy supposedly, but I have dropped it once and no issues.
It's a bit of a different shave than the R41, but I find it even better. YMMV of course.
If I had the money for the Charcoal Goods LVL3, I'd probably give it a try. Maybe someday. LOL
Good luck!

I'm a one razor person. After finding the Mühle R41 and Feather blade combination, I have zero desire to try anything else. That is, until I found out that my R41 won't last forever. It will last a long time, to be sure, but more reading on the forums leaves me a little anxious.

Is there a comparable razor that is brass/stainless/et al. that is similar to an R41?

The PAA DOC EVO SS. A tad below the Ikon Tech, and a tad above the 2013 R41 in terms of blade feel and efficiency. And it beats them both, hands down on blade stability and support. Plus, this razor laughed at a 3 week old beard and mowed right through it. Try that with either the Tech or R41 (both 2011 & 2013). Prayer, styptic pencil and band-aids....

It is aluminum but I would suggest the Shavecraft Tech. Will certainly do better than a zinc razor, I have never tried the R41 as I have never liked ANY zinc razor but the Shavecraft is plenty aggressive for me!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I’ve shaved with the Rex and I have a couple of Gibbs and the Rex is not as efficient or as smooth as the Gibbs with both on the highest setting.
With that said I think the OP has a few options if he wants just 1 razor that will not only last the rest of his life but also give a comprable shave to a R41.
As a lot have mentioned just get a back up or two as far as just the heads. Get yourself a nice SS Bulldog handle. I’ve got my R41 on a Maggard version. To me that’s the least expensive way to go. Haven’t shaved with a Fatip so can’t comment but the R41 efficiency can only be matched or exceeded by the Charcoal Goods L 3 OC but it’s brass and it will patina and if thats an issue with you then it can be plated in Rhodium but now your talking about having some some bucks invested in it but it’s an awesome razor and it would certainly last a lifetime.
The Ikon Tech is another option to me an is a bit more efficient than the R41 but not quite as smooth and less forgiving and it is definitely not a mindless type shaver as it demands your attention but I get great shaves out of it but wouldn’t recommend it as a daily driver.

SS is alway a good long lasting material and the 3 hat come to mind would be a Timeless .95 OC or Dual comb. Great shaver and it’s just slightly less efficient than the R41.

The other option that one member suggested is a Wolfman and it would have to be the .86 gap OC baseplate to be as efficient as the R41.

Last option would be an ATT SS with their most efficient baseplate.
Just my 2 cents.

Good hunting!

These are all great suggestions. On my face, the Blackbird open comb functions similarly. And if you can find a PAA DOC Evolution in stainless, that's another great option, as Gus suggests.

The PAA DOC EVO SS. A tad below the Ikon Tech, and a tad above the 2013 R41 in terms of blade feel and efficiency. And it beats them both, hands down on blade stability and support. Plus, this razor laughed at a 3 week old beard and mowed right through it. Try that with either the Tech or R41 (both 2011 & 2013). Prayer, styptic pencil and band-aids....
LMAO! :a14:

yes it is quite aggressive but I wont consider it as positive experience as the R41, Fatip, Ikon Tech because anything pass setting 3 on the Futur and Futur clones the blade chatter is more pronounced, so while its in the ball park of R41 aggression its not a comfy shave
Fair enough.I agree the Mingshi does not provide a very comfortable shave at the higher settings,but it is bearable.Steady strokes with light pressure seem to be the way to go.

If you want a similar shave in all SS check out the Fendrihan V1 Adventurer or similar.
Way crazy exposure and your choice of OC or scallops.
My OLDS and Fatips are mild in comparison.

If you want a similar shave in all SS check out the Fendrihan V1 Adventurer or similar.
Way crazy exposure and your choice of OC or scallops.
My OLDS and Fatips are mild in comparison.

Hmmm. I don't know this Fendrihan one yet. I may need to check it out...

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I haven't used any of the suggested razors, so it will be hard for me to decide if I get a new one, or just buy another r41 head.

The Fatip is leading in suggestions right now, but only slightly ahead of the Charcoal Goods and Ikon Tech.

@Joncr thanks for emailing--I considered that myself! Although, maybe if we get enough people pestering...

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I haven't used any of the suggested razors, so it will be hard for me to decide if I get a new one, or just buy another r41 head.

The Fatip is leading in suggestions right now, but only slightly ahead of the Charcoal Goods and Ikon Tech.

@Joncr thanks for emailing--I considered that myself! Although, maybe if we get enough people pestering...
I bet if every one of the R 41 users on Badger and Blade emailed Muhle about a stainless version they just might come out with one.

I sell my, sorry, the quality of the razor is excellent, but the shave... It is simply not a two or three pass razor.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola mit Tapatalk

I sell my, sorry, the quality of the razor is excellent, but the shave... It is simply not a two or three pass razor.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola mit Tapatalk

Not a 2 or 3 pass razor? The R41 can give a DFS or BBS finish in just 2 for almost all those that have used it. Unless you shave once a month or you're facial hair is tougher than steel wool, the R41 delivers in either iteration 2011/2013. Well, to each their own I guess. I can't assume that everyone wil shave in 2-3 passes, as always YMMV thing.....

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Brass threads in the zamack caps aren’t the cure all (See picture). This is what happened to me with a Variant and I’ve seen similar pictures on the web with Merkurs. The vender was more than great and sent out a new razor instead of just a new top cap. I fixed this with JB Weld and it held, just don’t trust that fix under pressure in an adjustable. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Variant and would buy another, but take precautions. I now press down on the top cap to relieve any additional pressure before tightening the adjustment knob. I also leave the top cap loose when not in use to avoid issues. No problems at all with replacement, but I now know the potential exists.

I also love my Edwin Jagger but only after 4 years of limited use, it is basically turning to dust. 2 unique zamack experiences for me.

I had thought that the studs were breaking from being dropped, but yours looks as though its been pulled out of the cap. JBWeld would work but thats a fix that shouldnt need to be made.

Plus, this razor laughed at a 3 week old beard and mowed right through it. Try that with either the Tech or R41 (both 2011 & 2013).

If you havent tried a Fatip, that would be just another day at the office lol.

You can buy another R41 head for $26: Muhle Replacement R41 Head Only | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

Or, you could spend $20 on a Fatip Piccolo: Fatip Piccolo Open Comb Razor – Nickel Finish | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

Of the razors discussed in this thread, I've only used the current production R41 head purchased last November from Maggard, and the Fendrihan Mk. I all stainless. On my face, the Fendrihan was far more aggressive than the R41. Although I don't think of myself as having a tougher than average beard, I always need 3 passes plus buffing for a BBS on my neck. The R41 was a pussycat.

I've heard great things about the Fatip, but always avoided it because I hear it has an unusual thread stud (M4.5, maybe? I don't know.)

Top Bottom