What's new

Am I doing something wrong (what is 'normal' wear and tear)?

Hi all,

I'm a pretty minimal wetshaver. I've had this Crabtree & Evelyn Pure Badger as my one and only brush since I started wetshaving sometime in summer 2010. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it seems to me that there is a slight 'hole' forming near the middle. I do lose hairs on the brush as well, probably 1-2 every few weeks. I know that higher-end brushes can last decades, so I just wanted to generally know if I'm being too rough, or if this type of wear is expected in a relatively cheaper brush (and really I'm probably wanting justification to buy a new brush, hehe).

I only shave twice a week generally and I don't have a stand to hang my brush, though I do gently squeeze and shake it out. I face lather exclusively and have a course beard, if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• shave brush i.jpg
    shave brush i.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • shave brush ii.jpg
    shave brush ii.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Could be too much pressure on the brush during use. Definitely time to get a new brush:001_cool:

Congrats, sir state, on your years of good use from your brush! Indeed, time for a new brush, or perhaps just get yours re-knotted! While you’re at it, consider splurging for a stand! Enjoy!

Hi all,

I'm a pretty minimal wetshaver. I've had this Crabtree & Evelyn Pure Badger as my one and only brush since I started wetshaving sometime in summer 2010. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it seems to me that there is a slight 'hole' forming near the middle. I do lose hairs on the brush as well, probably 1-2 every few weeks. I know that higher-end brushes can last decades, so I just wanted to generally know if I'm being too rough, or if this type of wear is expected in a relatively cheaper brush (and really I'm probably wanting justification to buy a new brush, hehe).

I only shave twice a week generally and I don't have a stand to hang my brush, though I do gently squeeze and shake it out. I face lather exclusively and have a course beard, if that makes any difference.

My father told me never to squeeze a brush, because it pulls the hairs out. That has been my experience too.

Others will say to gently squeeze while slightly pushing in on the knot. That might be OK, but I don’t.

I pump my brush up and down in a sink of clean water to splay the knot out and get deep inside. Then I very gently shake it in a pendulum motion, without any inertial stops. When doing so, I hold it like a fencing foil, gently but firmly, like a bird you don’t want to hurt, but don’t want to get away either. Then I hang it bristles down to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Alright, let's get this out of the way first: NOBODY should own only one brush!

OK, now on to business. It's possible you put a little too much pressure on the brush loading or building lather - or both. It could be your barbed wire beard. But you've been using this as your only brush for 8 years, so I'm not sure it owes you anything.

Some people squeeze the brush every day and have no problems. It's probably not too difficult to do a little damage with the incorrect technique on the squeeze. I don't do it at all, but I don't consider it a universal problem. I give mine a few shakes over the tub to remove excess water.

Pumping the brush in the sink (or a scuttle) is another one of those possible to do some damage if not done correctly things. I don't find it necessary. Hold the brush handle down and let the water flow into the heart of the knot.

A stand does nothing for the longevity or health of a brush, but some people like the way they look.

You might want to consider a nice boar - way cheaper than a badger. If you're shopping be sure to list your wish list as specifically as possible (big, small, stiff, soft, etc.). I promise you'll get enough suggestions to make your head spin.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When I was growing up I was taught that there were simply places you don't try to save money; good tires on the car; the best tire as a spare, new not recycled oil, hard coal not soft coal, shoes that fit, a Kent hairbrush, new razor blades and at least two, preferably three shaving brushes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When I was growing up I was taught that there were simply places you don't try to save money; good tires on the car; the best tire as a spare, new not recycled oil, hard coal not soft coal, shoes that fit, a Kent hairbrush, new razor blades and at least two, preferably three shaving brushes.
+1 Add guns and knives to the list.

Oh geez, y'all are the biggest bunch of enablers, haha! I guess it's time to start the search...

Thanks to everyone for all of the tips in prolonging the life of my future, yet to be determined new brush.

I'll be sure to follow the advice of @musicman1951 in trying to describe the ideal new brush; be on the lookout for that thread--you all have tried out a lot more brushes than I have, so I really appreciate the input!

Oh geez, y'all are the biggest bunch of enablers, haha! I guess it's time to start the search...

Thanks to everyone for all of the tips in prolonging the life of my future, yet to be determined new brush.

I'll be sure to follow the advice of @musicman1951 in trying to describe the ideal new brush; be on the lookout for that thread--you all have tried out a lot more brushes than I have, so I really appreciate the input!

For Pete’s sake, you don’t have to wear out one brush to justify buying another!

Buy more than one. Rotate them. Going to need one to travel with. Also one for special occasions. One for holidays. A summer and winter brush of course. Then there's the anniversary and birthday brush. Oh, can't forget the spare and the back ups. Get a couple of those too.

My father told me never to squeeze a brush, because it pulls the hairs out. That has been my experience too.

Others will say to gently squeeze while slightly pushing in on the knot. That might be OK, but I don’t. ...

I was told this by a better shaver than me, so I do not do the former, but I do sometimes do the latter, for better or worse.

But the main thing IMO, as has been mentioned, is to get a brush stand. The second most important thing is to get a second brush. Rotate your brushes, rinse and dry them well, and store them in stands, handle up/knot down. That way, they will get clean, and they will dry well between uses. Many people periodically give their brushes a more thorough cleaning, and there are other threads for that, but I think good daily care is step #1.

PS There are people who don’t use stands, and I don’t mean to disrespect them. I sometimes wonder if they live in drier climates than I do, or if they use synths. But I think using stands can only help you.

I was told this by a better shaver than me, so I do not do the former, but I do sometimes do the latter, for better or worse.

But the main thing IMO, as has been mentioned, is to get a brush stand. The second most important thing is to get a second brush. Rotate your brushes, rinse and dry them well, and store them in stands, handle up/knot down. That way, they will get clean, and they will dry well between uses. Many people periodically give their brushes a more thorough cleaning, and there are other threads for that, but I think good daily care is step #1.

PS There are people who don’t use stands, and I don’t mean to disrespect them. I sometimes wonder if they live in drier climates than I do, or if they use synths. But I think using stands can only help you.

I use stands too now. I have boar brushes with the center hairs missing that I always sat on their handles, hairs up. I was rough on them though and they were cheap.

I figure that when hanging pendant in a stand, the water will drip away from the knot. Whether that is a benefit, I don’t know. What I do know, is that my badgers are fairing much better.

Buy more than one. Rotate them. Going to need one to travel with. Also one for special occasions. One for holidays. A summer and winter brush of course. Then there's the anniversary and birthday brush. Oh, can't forget the spare and the back ups. Get a couple of those too.
So basically 9.
I’m short!

Try out a synthetic brush like a 2 band Tuxedo. I used badger for over 3 years until I got my hands on a good synthetic and now the badger is living in the linen closet.

For under 20 bucks shipped there is a large selection of good synthetics from Stirling or Razorock or Maggards

I would be suprised to learn that splaying out the brush completely would lead to a shorter lifespan. I splay out my synthetics completely on the face during face lathering.

Whenever my wife comments about my horde of shaving brushes, we go stand in front of her shoe closet for a few moments, and reflect.

Thanks all, I will get a new brush, doing a little homework now before I solicit the experts--you!

Top Bottom