What's new

Fermentation

Post St. Pat's Day sale, cabbage .29/pound. 15-pounds of kraut underway, caraway/juniper berries and caraway/fresh apples.

IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG

Tom

I was looking at Napa & "Korean" cabbage this morning, i'll get there, i'll get there...

Looks good Mike, when will it be ready?

dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
About 3 days and I'll start sampling. The cabbage started out larger than the three completed jars. Good that it is milder out. I know when they start bubbling I'll be putting them in the garage or somewhere remote in the house.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I just had to sample some. It is lovely just now. Fizzy like sparkling wine. Perfect heat for me. 3 tbsp of the Korean peppers. This batch is not as violent in fermentation as the last. I'm not sure why but a bit of a break smell wise.

just done fermenting chorizo, hope it dries and cure safely. Obviously if I don't follow up with the thread I'm dead...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm down to a few quarts of my last batch of sauerkraut. Time to start another!
20180328_103853.jpg

I pound 3 or so shredded heads of cabbage into the crock with 2% salt (by weight) and some caraway, cover the goodies with large cabbage leaves and the weights, and let it do it's thing for 5-6 weeks before packaging it in quart mason jars. After a few days or a week, I will go back and press down the stuff in the crock, as the CO2 tends to fluff everything up over the brine. After that, it's just a matter of keeping water in the lip of the crock.

Last edited:
I'm down to a few quarts of my last batch of sauerkraut. Time to start another!
View attachment 871143

I pound 3 or so shredded heads of cabbage into the crock with 2% salt (by weight) and some caraway, cover the goodies with large cabbage leaves and the weights, and let it do it's thing for 5-6 weeks before packaging it in quart mason jars. After a few days or a week, I will go back and press down the stuff in the crock, as the CO2 tends to fluff everything up over the brine. After that, it's just a matter of keeping water in the lip of the crock.
looks very good...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I meant to thrown in some pics of the batch of sauerkraut I worked up on the 3rd.

20180403_183517.jpg
Shredding it all up! I love that shredder, by the way. It's quick, and it makes a very fine shred--far finer than it appears in that pic, as some wider bits make it through at the end of each quarter I put through it.
20180403_185519.jpg
Ready to pound into the crock. The salt is 2% of the weight of the shredded cabbage, but I sort of use The Force when it comes to measuring out the caraway (and, in this case, also a little bit of dill seed). My typical technique is to put in a good handful or so of shredded cabbage, a healthy sprinkle or so of salt, and a small sprinkle of the seeds. Then, moderately pound in until the color brightens up and I get a sense that some liquid is starting to come out. The more that goes in, the more it's as much stirring and kneading as it is pounding, but that's also good. All remaining salt goes in with the last of the cabbage, but I still use The Force on seeds.
20180403_191421.jpg
Everything pounded in, thoroughly mixed, and tamped down.
20180403_191929.jpg
I cover the shreds with the outer leaves that I initially peeled off the heads, trimmed to fit the crock. That just helps keeps some of the shredded bits in the brine when I press everything down later on (I need better weights).
20180403_192030.jpg
A few hours later, with everything pressed down again. Time to let nature take its course!

Along with my typical practice, I go back and press everything back down after a few days and then again a week or so later. The CO2 production will fluff things up inside the crock and often lift some of the stuff above the level of the brine. After a couple weeks, fermentation tends to slow down to the point where the only maintenance needed is just keeping water in the airlock lip.

I'll give it a total of five or six weeks in the crock before moving the batch into wide-mouth, quart-sized mason jars for more convenient storage (and to make room for the next batch).

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I meant to thrown in some pics of the batch of sauerkraut I worked up on the 3rd.

I'll give it a total of five or six weeks in the crock before moving the batch into wide-mouth, quart-sized mason jars for more convenient storage (and to make room for the next batch).

Nice Doak!!

Nice sauerkraut start. The crock you are using is very similar to one I use. The moat make it so much easier. A couple of weeks ago I pulled out 2 heads of cabbage that sat since September. Made one batch of stuffed cabbages so far.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I came across a reference to fermented hummus. I love me some hummus and usually keep some in the fridge for snacks, cravings, or even an occasional meal, so I thought I would give it a try. After poking around a bit, I came across this recipe from the Traditional Cooking School website:
  • 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
  • 3 rounded tablespoons roasted sesame tahini
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup water or aquafaba (bean cooking liquid, IF beans were pre-soaking and soaking water drained)
  • 1/4 cup whey -- with active cultures, such as from dripping off plain yogurt or kefir, or from raw cheesemaking
Instructions
  1. Put all ingredients in blender or food processor.
  2. Adjust water to desired consistency.
  3. Blend to make a smooth, thick, but sorta chunky paste.
  4. Transfer to an air-tight container and leave out at room temperature overnight, 7 to 12 hours.
  5. Transfer to refrigerator.
  6. When serving, garnish with paprika, parsley and/or extra virgin olive oil.
Instead of the whey, I used brine from my last batch of sauerkraut. I also used about 4 or so tablespoons of tahini, since I haven't the slightest idea how one measures a "rounded tablespoon" of tahini, and I used a good deal more garlic (perhaps too much, if there is such a thing). I saw no reason to add any more water. Anyhow, it was good right out of the food processor. About four hours later, it's even better. I look forward to trying more this evening.

I love fermentation. I regularly brew kombucha. I've done pickles, kraut, kimchi, yogurt & kefir. Also, ginger carrots are always darn tasty. Oh yeah, garlic. Woah nellie. I peel the garlic then grind them in the ninja with salt. Leave it out a few days then into the fridge. It increases the effectiveness of the garlic so you use a tiny bit. Also, corned beef. It's a lifestyle!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Interesting. You can absolutely turn milk into yogurt in this time frame. That is a good thing. This sounds wonderful.

Got to write it down as . . . darn . . . beans are off my list. (saving for later)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The fermented hummus is fantastic. In fact, I think I've now discovered just what has been missing from my hummus all this time.

I might just try to ferment some hummus, with salt, the old school method instead of using fermented juice drippinz. This is a cool idea. Thanks for the recipe and feedback already that it's tasty. Also, home made fresh hummus is insanely better than any hummus I've had commercially. The freshness factor is huge.

Top Bottom