What's new

Fermentation

I enjoy making and drinking fermented tea, both kombucha and jun.
Thanks to the California hippy connection, I was able to find SCOBYs for both relatively easily.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I worked up some green beans and garlic and sauerkraut with caraway seeds and juniper berries. The green beans need another 3 or 4 days. The kraut fermented very fast with this warm weather. It stopped bubbling yesterday so I put it in the frig. this morning. It's my best batch so far. This weekend I'll start a batch of Giardiniera and jalapeños.

IMG_3150[1].JPG

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I just fermented beer, does that count? Also, DoctorShavegood isn't banned.

It is the time of year to make wine too. I didn't make any last year for the first time in a long time. Now I'm thinking it might be a nice thing to do to have some to give away at Christmas.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I worked up some green beans and garlic and sauerkraut with caraway seeds and juniper berries. The green beans need another 3 or 4 days. The kraut fermented very fast with this warm weather. It stopped bubbling yesterday so I put it in the frig. this morning. It's my best batch so far. This weekend I'll start a batch of Giardiniera and jalapeños.

View attachment 822943

Looking good. Somehow when I get into these things I end up making too much. Can you manage to scale things down to a limited production?

Yeah, I'm planning a special "christmas inspired" brew. No idea which direction to take. Eggnog milk stout? Juniper berries in an IPA?

Maybe i should try making a wine. Never been down that road. Christmas always makes me think of mead for some reason.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yeah, I'm planning a special "christmas inspired" brew. No idea which direction to take. Eggnog milk stout? Juniper berries in an IPA?

Maybe i should try making a wine. Never been down that road. Christmas always makes me think of mead for some reason.

My favourite for the cold season has always been something dark and bitter. IPA for the Summer . . . although Juniper berries might do something interesting.

To my mind there is a lot of crossover between food and drink . . . our steward may or may not suggest a trip over to the whatchamacall other forum.

Anyone with a simple Kimchee recipe? Fell in love with the stuff when stationed in ROK, find a so-so version in supermarkets here. No local Korean marts to get the real thing, or real ingredients.

It is the time of year to make wine too. I didn't make any last year for the first time in a long time. Now I'm thinking it might be a nice thing to do to have some to give away at Christmas.

Vino should take a year plus. I find at if it taste good at 12 months it taste better at 18 months. Beer will be ideal in a month plus. I'm planing on crushing California grapes this fall for 2019.

Tom

Anyone with a simple Kimchee recipe?

From Stanley Marianski's Kraut, Kimchi, Pickles, & Relishes book; I would cut back on th Ginger and garlic and add carrots and radishes, although excellent-

Easy Kimchi:

Napa cabbage 2.5 kg
Scallions 1 bunch
Garlic cloves 6 crushed
Ginger root 1 Finley diced (25 Gr)
Red pepper powder 1/2 cup/40 Gr
Salt 3 Tbsp/ 50 Gr
Sugar 1 Tbsp/ 15 Gr

Trim outer leaves (save to cover) and split into halves
Make brine, 3-cups salt to 4-quarts water. Brine cabbage 3-hours, rinse, squeeze, drain twice, drain 30-minutes
Cut cabbage into 2" sections
Add some water to red pepper to make a paste
Cut scallions diagonally, dice ginger, crush garlic
Add salt , sugar, and mix all together
Pack stuffed cabbage into a container. Put whole outer leaves on top. Sprinkle with salt and put a plate/weight on top so the cabbage stays under the juice.

Ferment at least three days. I go two-three weeks at least.

Have fun.

Tom

Last year I visited the Bread Institute in Moscow and they gave me a supply of dried culture used by the bakeries, so I'm using that now, but I'm not sure I taste much of a difference from my own after a few months of use and feeding.

I've read that the bacteria and yeasts in the local environment will more or less dominate a starter in a very short time so your experience possibly supports that theory.

I've made kraut and kimchi, radish pickles, carrots and ginger, watermelon rind, lacto-fermented salmon, plus a bunch of variations of kraut with different veggies, greens, and sea weed. I have done beet kvaas, kvaas, ales, and wines as far as beverages go.

My two favorites are the radish pickles and salmon. The salmon gets very soft and infused with flavors of onion and dill(both ingredients) but just melts in your mouth. The lemon wedges with the skin are also delectable as the skin becomes tender enough to eat. Initially, I was concerned about eating raw salmon like that, but I haven't suffered any ill effects.

Started a new adventure today. First baby step, green sauerkraut; 2 pounds thinly sliced cabbage, 20 grams sea salt and a one quart mason jar with a "Masoncap" lid and weight.

Surprised by how easily the cabbage gave up the liquid. The weight got skewed and jammed the first attempt putting it in the jar, second attempt got it. Now tucked away in the cool and the dark for a while now...

file-1_B&Bsize_400.jpg
file1_B&Bsize_400.jpg
file2_B&Bsize_400.jpg
file3_B&Bsize_400.jpg
file4.jpeg
file5_B&Bsize_400.jpg
file6_B&Bsize_400.jpg

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks great Dave. Yeah, getting the glass weight to fit is a bit tricky. After placing the cabbage into the jar and packing it down, I'll put a full leaf that is trimmed to fit the opening of the jar to help keep "floaters" from rising to the top.

P.S. Put the jar in a bowl, so times the cabbage will swell forcing brine up and out of the nipple top.

Thanks Aaron! I've got that Masoncap booklet as well, did just like you suggested although the recipe, procedure i followed was from a library book, Real Food Fermentation by Alex Lewin.

I've seen your kraut, kimchi and mixed vegetables and you got me curious and started down this road. Anything bubbling away at the moment?

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks Aaron! I've got that Masoncap booklet as well, did just like you suggested although the recipe, procedure i followed was from a library book, Real Food Fermentation by Alex Lewin.

I've seen your kraut, kimchi and mixed vegetables and you got me curious and started down this road. Anything bubbling away at the moment?

dave
Nope. I've got 1-1/2 mason jars of kimchi and 1/2 mason jar of sauerkraut sitting in the frig.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Some of the fun is tasting at the different stages. I kinda like the point where it tastes kinda fizzy.

Top Bottom