What's new

Fermentation

When THAT moon hits your eye, it burns like the fire of 1000 suns! Come to think of it, it doesn't matter WHERE it hits...

This forum is continuously amazing to me. Whatever new kind of strange thing I am getting into there is a 5-50 page thread with great content. Such great non shaving related posts I even checked in here weekly the 3 years I had a huge beard.

Anyway...

I was a homebrewer for a long time, but I don't do a lot with that anymore (tend to do just special long aged things now... have a 7 year old Flanders style Oud Bruin bottled. Next batch to be bottled will be a 18 month old barleywine, which should be carbonated just in time for cold weather here).

Also, I am a sourdough bread baker (still active with this. Tend to follow Tartine recipes)

I have dabbled in pickling things a bit (the sweet pickle chips from Ruhlman's book, giardiniera a few times, etc).

This year is the first time I have grown pickling cucumbers and stumbled in looking for ideas as it appears I will have a lot to work with. Obviously doing a few batches of dills. Bread and butter pickles and relish as well. I was also just sent a recipe for crystal pickles (might be a Michigan thing, where I am originally from) that is supposed to be pretty close to my grandmother's recipe which I will be trying: Crystal Pickles – Vintage Recipe Clipping « RecipeCurio.com Will likely use up some dried chilies from last year's garden do to some hot pickles.

Any other ideas?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The sky pretty much is the limit, @jmwebster. If you can grow it, you can ferment it. I very much enjoy the radishes I just did.

I'm a slowed-down homebrewer, myself.

Just an update how the fermented beans turned out (absolutely great)
Cured pork belly with boiled potatos and beans

beans3.jpg

Yesss!
beans1.jpg

Next charge (from this weekend)
beans2.jpg

4 kilo beans don't look like much in this 30 liter pot. I need a smaller one. And a bean slicer...
beans4.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've been playing around more with the fermented hummus, and I'm pretty much at this basic recipe. I might play with the amount of water, garlic, or cumin according to my whim, but this is pretty close to where I'm at. The ranges are to account for the fact that garlic cloves vary wildly in size and that tahinis can have all sorts of flavor profiles. My favorite fermenting agent is leftover brine from my sauerkraut. If you use canned chickpeas, be sure to rinse very thoroughly and consider waiting until step 3 to add even the initial salt.

Try to let it ferment at least 8 hours, if not the full 12. It just gets brighter and better, although I must admit that the difference between 11 and 12 hours doesn't seem to be all that significant.

Ingredients (makes about 1 qt)

· 500g cooked chickpeas (a little more than 2 cups), drained and cooled completely
· 5-7 tablespoons roasted sesame tahini
· juice from 1 medium lemon
· 3-5 cloves garlic
· 1/2-3/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
· 1/2 cup water
· 1/4 cup whey or fermented brine -- with active cultures, such as from dripping off plain yogurt or kefir, or from raw cheesemaking, or fermented vegetables
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· ¼ teaspoon turmeric

Instructions

1. Coarsely chop garlic if cloves are large. Put all ingredients except tahini in blender or food processor and blend/process until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
2. Add a few tablespoons of tahini and blend/process to incorporate. Taste. Add more tahini to taste, ½ to 1 tablespoon or so at a time, incorporating after each addition.
3. Adjust salt to taste and water to desired consistency. Typically, you want something thick but that can be dipped or scooped with a pita.
4. Blend to make a smooth, thick paste that is a bit fluffy (about 30-60 seconds)
5. Transfer to an air-tight container and leave out at room temperature overnight, 7 to 12 hours.
6. Transfer to refrigerator.

When serving, garnish with paprika, parsley, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, and/or extra virgin olive oil (or whatever else turns you on).

For a more lemony version, add the juice from an additional lemon (2 total) and the zest from both lemons.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Christmas gifts are brewing. Kimchi and sauerkraut. I think my best batch so far. I added a little celery seed to the sauerkraut and a touch more brown sugar to the kimchi. After mixing it all up all I wanted to do was eat it all. I had a little left over to pay the chef. The kitchen was totaled. The kimchi had some watermelon radishes.

My football team losing in the background.

20181216_141054.jpg

I do three or four gallons of sauerkraut every year and fermented sweet pickles when they run out (I tend to overdo this stuff, just like everything else).

And beer and wine.

Been fermenting things since I was a little kid, never could figure out why more people didn't make their own kraut and pickles, etc.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Christmas gifts are brewing. Kimchi and sauerkraut. I think my best batch so far. I added a little celery seed to the sauerkraut and a touch more brown sugar to the kimchi. After mixing it all up all I wanted to do was eat it all. I had a little left over to pay the chef. The kitchen was totaled. The kimchi had some watermelon radishes.

My football team losing in the background.

View attachment 935781
My two favorite teams (the Steelers and whoever is playing the Cowboys on any particular week) won.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I haven't seen real football played in about 30 years. "Down push me down or I'll tell the ref."
I used to watch 4 games- the noon, three, SNF, and MNF. I’m down to just SNF. Yesterday was an exception- the Steelers played, so I watched it, too.

I used to watch 4 games- the noon, three, SNF, and MNF. I’m down to just SNF. Yesterday was an exception- the Steelers played, so I watched it, too.
In USA , college football is now WAY more dangerous than pro football! Making college fb much more fun to watch, IMO.

Sauerkraut is dead easy. Quarter a cabbage, remove heart, slice thin (this is easier with a kraut cutter), then pack into an acid proof container with a teaspoon or two of salt per quart of shredded cabbage. Pack down tight, cover with a cloth folded to fit, and put a plate or tight fitting wooden cover on top and weight down. Add water or salt water to keep the cabbage covered with brine, and change the cloth every couple days. When it quits bubbling and is as sharp as you like it, can it.

You can ferment in individual quart jars too, but the acid produced eats can lids, use a fresh one to seal.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sauerkraut is dead easy. Quarter a cabbage, remove heart, slice thin (this is easier with a kraut cutter), then pack into an acid proof container with a teaspoon or two of salt per quart of shredded cabbage. Pack down tight, cover with a cloth folded to fit, and put a plate or tight fitting wooden cover on top and weight down. Add water or salt water to keep the cabbage covered with brine, and change the cloth every couple days. When it quits bubbling and is as sharp as you like it, can it.

You can ferment in individual quart jars too, but the acid produced eats can lids, use a fresh one to seal.
I remember growing up, and cabbage being cut. I loved it when I got the cabbage heart. So much cabbage flavor.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, the kimchi and kraut are really bubbling away. I think I'll make a stir-fry tonight so I can top it with a bit of kimchi. Can't wait.

Top Bottom