What's new

Oldest Single Ring known

I'm glad you scored this I can see where the plating has worn off the comb. Mine is the same. Somebody shaved with this back in the day. I wonder who? If only these things could talk. Gangster, Pirate, Captain of industry, or a regular Joe. That's why I love old gear.

Just curious what your comment is based on. Until recently, it was generally believed that the single ring was introduced in 1906, as noted in Krumholz guide (see below) as well as the dating chart that started on Geocities. In several previous threads on this site, it was called an anomaly when a single ring showed up with a 1905 date code, and speculated that tubes may have been switched. I appreciate your reference to Achim's Mr-Razor website, and that is certainly one of the bibles of what has been found. I'm not sure it has been generally agreed that history has been re-written about the launch of the single ring, though. But if you have some research to offer, I'd love to hear about it.

attachment.php

Where did you get that book?!?
I want one!!

I acquired this 1905 Single Ring last week -
While this may not be the oldest 1905 to be found, it is certainly
now the oldest Single Ring in my collection....

Cheers,
Kevin
DSC01102.JPG
DSC01111.JPG
DSC01112.JPG
DSC01117.JPG

Resurrecting this old thread since I discovered a set I had for a while had a low serial number. Not the lowest but second oldest unless someone found one older since the 2015 post. 243685
Gillette Single Ring 1905 243685 B.JPG

I think it is a reasonable assumption that the Gillette factory had several production lines producing the Gillette Razor. They would not have shut all down at once to retool their lines to the specs for the Single Ring razors. Most likely the change was made as tooling needed repair or replacement. Your Double Ring #233957 being numbered later than the above Single Ring razor #215216 would tend to substantiate this....
Cheers,
Kevin

I think it is a reasonable assumption that the Gillette factory had several production lines producing the Gillette Razor. They would not have shut all down at once to retool their lines to the specs for the Single Ring razors. Most likely the change was made as tooling needed repair or replacement. Your Double Ring #233957 being numbered later than the above Single Ring razor #215216 would tend to substantiate this....
Cheers,
Kevin
your right. I wanted to include my DR # just to show that there possibly was an overlap in production or something similar. I doubt they ceased DR operation that day ending on a certain # and then continued on to the exact next # with the SR production. theyre had to be an overlap. very cool to see the differences in all this and piece stuff together!

As some wise person on this site once wrote: "the only thing we know about Gillette that is exact, is that nothing is exact about Gillette", or something to that effect.......

Cheers,
Kevin

Hi everyone, I have what I believe is a somewhat rarely seen early gold Single Ring in its original Combination set case. It also has its original (unused) brush. Serial #G494272. The serial is on the shaft. The case is a Gold Script Sealskin lined Combination set case.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I believe the set is correct/complete. I'm curious if anyone has an identical one. I have never heard of another one like it. It dates to 1906. I've been told it's fairly rare, can anyone tell me about any older ones? Or tell me about these sets in general? Thanks. Have a great night all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, Alan, are the hinges on the lid original, or one of the early repairs?

I love that brown sealskin!

Hey, Alan, are the hinges on the lid original, or one of the early repairs?

I love that brown sealskin!
Hi Dan, actually, right or wrong, I installed two cigar box hinges in the case when I got it. The leather is so brittle, it started to crumble when I tried to make the repair you told me how to make, so I resorted to this alternate method.

Nice set but serial# dates to 1918 (use letter g with numbers) Gillette Date Codes
Incorrect. On these early Single Rings the serial number is on the inner shaft, not on the comb guard. There is not any markings on the comb guard on this razor. The 1918 Single Rings have the Gillette Diamond and made in USA on the bottom of the comb guards, and a serial number on the top of the comb guard. The G indicator on the early Single Rings inner shaft was indicative of the gold plating. Also the gold scrip case is an indication of an older set.

Top Bottom