What's new

Oldest Single Ring known

Incorrect. On these early Single Rings the serial number is on the inner shaft, not on the comb guard. There is not any markings on the comb guard on this razor. The 1918 Single Rings have the Gillette Diamond and made in USA on the bottom of the comb guards, and a serial number on the top of the comb guard. The G indicator on the early Single Rings inner shaft was indicative of the gold plating. Also the gold scrip case is an indication of an older set.
Apologies, I stand corrected

Hi everyone, I have what I believe is a somewhat rarely seen early gold Single Ring in its original Combination set case. It also has its original (unused) brush. Serial #G494272. The serial is on the shaft. The case is a Gold Script Sealskin lined Combination set case.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I believe the set is correct/complete. I'm curious if anyone has an identical one. I have never heard of another one like it. It dates to 1906. I've been told it's fairly rare, can anyone tell me about any older ones? Or tell me about these sets in general? Thanks. Have a great night all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is fabulous!

There may be others but I normally use this
Gillette Date Codes

Thank you Misunderstood. But I’m afraid I wasn’t clear and made myself miss understood! I’m looking for the database which contains the serial numbers of known single and double ring razors. I own one of the “missing link” razors who’s date code suggests it should be a DR but is in fact a SR. To my knowledge the oldest known (to B&B) #215216

Thank you Misunderstood. But I’m afraid I wasn’t clear and made myself miss understood! I’m looking for the database which contains the serial numbers of known single and double ring razors. I own one of the “missing link” razors who’s date code suggests it should be a DR but is in fact a SR. To my knowledge the oldest known (to B&B) #215216

I'll take one more stab and see if this is what you're looking for. If not sorry for muddying the waters.....
Very Early Single Rings

I picked up one recently, 220000 range. Extremely even plating wear on the nut and handle.
Only problem was the handle and head are M4192xx.
I was pretty interested to actually get one of these fabled "early single rings" since I have two double rings with later serial numbers... But alas, I have just another confirmed mismatch.

I picked up one recently, 220000 range. Extremely even plating wear on the nut and handle.
Only problem was the handle and head are M4192xx.
I was pretty interested to actually get one of these fabled "early single rings" since I have two double rings with later serial numbers... But alas, I have just another confirmed mismatch.
Forgive us if I don't feel sorry for you since you have a couple double rings :wink2:

Forgive us if I don't feel sorry for you since you have a couple double rings :wink2:
For the most part, I was expecting it to be a mismatch. I was really pleased I got two serial numbers and could so easily confirm it was a mismatch; especially as the plating wear and tarnish made it look like it should have been a match.

Top Bottom