What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Gents,

My first post on the forum. I've been lurking for awhile. (Long enough to get through the first 50-something pages of this thread... I'm still back in early November (in the thread) but catching up).

I thought I'd time travel forward to let you know that I'm enjoying this thread. It's not only enjoyable, it's educational, informative, thought-provoking, entertaining, and also a little costly (I have a couple of boar brushes (SOC and a Stirling), Captain's Choice 45th parallel and 1912 Wickham soap, a Fatip Grande, a vintage Gillete (ok, maybe 2), and several hundred blades in transit).

I also have, as a result of this thread, improved my shaves significantly, and want to thank you all for that.

I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but much of this information is applicable to everyone, I believe. Somewhere recently (page 50 something) someone mentioned that the parameters that lead to an efficient razor and of a smooth razor should be defineable and quantifiable and that is one of the reasons I decided to skip ahead and make this post. Makes a lot of sense to me.

For example, blade rigidity. While some (sounds like those with sensitive skin especially) benefit immensely from a rigid blade, it seems that if it benefits those folks, it would benefit all. I (believe) I understand that rigidity and blade exposure and blade gap and ... may be to some extent conflicting requirements, IF it were possible to hold all variables equal, why would one not desire a rigid blade... what advantage would a non-rigid blade have, even if your skin can tolerate it.

Anyway, just my thoughts... I suspect I'll find, in the next 45 pages or so that you'll all have solved all the problems and answered all the questions by the time I catch up.

Thank you all again for your help. I'm headed back to early November :)

But:

proxy.php

Just bumping your post because it is a good one, and because I see you're still around, reading I suppose, and keeping your mouth shut, unlike the rest of us blabbermouths, and I thought I should just say hello.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Your silvertip Yaqi may be just perfect, Mike. If it's as good as my Yaqi two band you're going to like it, I think. I'm looking forward to your reviews of the Yaqi silvertip.

It will soon come.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I really enjoyed reading what you thought of your brush. I just hope buying the two band wasn't a mistake. I'm wishing I would have bought the silver tip now.

I really enjoyed reading what you thought of your brush. I just hope buying the two band wasn't a mistake. I'm wishing I would have bought the silver tip now.

If you enjoy the brush, then there’s no reason to regret the purchase. I have one badger that I thought I’d regret purchasing, but I enjoy using it when I want a little more exfoliation. Would I prefer a different brush? Maybe. But I don’t regret buying it as I enjoy using it and it is part of my shaving journey. It isn’t my daily brush but easily could be if I didn’t prefer my Stirling fan shaped badger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Which two band did you buy?

I really doubt it will turn out to be a mistake if it's a Yaqi or a Maseto Shaving brush.

I love my Yaqi two band brush (I bought two but have only used one so far) and I love my three Stirling two bands. Two bands are plenty soft and also have good backbone. I think they're an easier (less risky) choice than silvertips, sight unseen.

I have two auction acquired silvertips. One has zero backbone, and one has not very much backbone.

I was worried about the MS silvertip not having enough backbone, but it has plenty. I would not have been worried about a two band for backbone. With my Yaqi two bands I was worried they might not be great, as in soft or dense enough, but they're just fine.

The Yaqi brushes I bought are very nice brushes, and great deals. The MS is a superior, wonderful brush, and an incredible amazing deal.

I don't know about the Yaqi silvertips, but Mike will let us know (sometime, maybe).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I was worried about the MS silvertip not having enough backbone, but it has plenty.

Thats been a worry of mine also.

There has to be something that justifies the price difference of $300 over other comparable brushes. I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out what that difference is.

No movement on the Canada Post tracking for my brush today. It got cold again last night so I guess the Canada Post Canoe Paddlers are huddled around a fire somewhere drying out and getting ready for Monday haha.

If you enjoy the brush, then there’s no reason to regret the purchase. I have one badger that I thought I’d regret purchasing, but I enjoy using it when I want a little more exfoliation. Would I prefer a different brush? Maybe. But I don’t regret buying it as I enjoy using it and it is part of my shaving journey. It isn’t my daily brush but easily could be if I didn’t prefer my Stirling fan shaped badger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if I enjoy it yet or not. I pretty sure it's been shipped but I have not received it yet.

Which two band did you buy?

I really doubt it will turn out to be a mistake if it's a Yaqi or a Maseto Shaving brush.

I love my Yaqi two band brush (I bought two but have only used one so far) and I love my three Stirling two bands. Two bands are plenty soft and also have good backbone. I think they're an easier (less risky) choice than silvertips, sight unseen.

I have two auction acquired silvertips. One has zero backbone, and one has not very much backbone.

I was worried about the MS silvertip not having enough backbone, but it has plenty. I would not have been worried about a two band for backbone. With my Yaqi two bands I was worried they might not be great, as in soft or dense enough, but they're just fine.

The Yaqi brushes I bought are very nice brushes, and great deals. The MS is a superior, wonderful brush, and an incredible amazing deal.

I don't know about the Yaqi silvertips, but Mike will let us know (sometime, maybe).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I bought the 30mm maseto hybrid/bulb brush. Ordered it Tuesday or so. I was excited reading what you said about your silvertip based on waiting for my brush.

Nick

There has to be something that justifies the price difference of $300 over other comparable brushes. I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out what that difference is.

No movement on the Canada Post tracking for my brush today. It got cold again last night so I guess the Canada Post Canoe Paddlers are huddled around a fire somewhere drying out and getting ready for Monday haha.

Mike, there is plenty to say about that 300 dollar brush. You are buying customer service, you are not gambling on something your not sure if your going to like.

Think about it like this. Besides the money aspect, if money were not an object, which would you order? Even if I love my maseto, I'll still probably end up with a cubby 2 super. It would have to be a damn good brush to make me stop wanting that.

Sorry if I got your name wrong. I believe it's Mike.

Nick

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike, there is plenty to say about that 300 dollar brush. You are buying customer service, you are not gambling on something your not sure if your going to like.

Think about it like this. Besides the money aspect, if money were not an object, which would you order? Even if I love my maseto, I'll still probably end up with a cubby 2 super. It would have to be a damn good brush to make me stop wanting that.

Nick

Mike yep :)

I still want a Shavemac. Want and need are two different things lol.

Customer service is always a big plus. I can also understand that with a higher priced brush such as a Shavemac or Simpson, the chances of getting exactly what you want are higher. I also believe the quality of the brush and the badger hairs should be better due to tighter quality control and being hand tied.

With that also come some drawbacks the same with any hand made item. You can get a less that perfect specimen but the odd's are more in your favour that you dont.

What it comes down to for me is, would I be just as happy with an $80 MS 30mm Silvertip as I would a comparable $200 or even $300 Shavemac. I personally have a hard time justifying the difference, but if you say money is not a factor, certainly I'd buy the Shavemac. I have a feeling I'll have one at some point anyway.

My wants usually win over my needs, in time lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I'm sure some of the European (and maybe American) brush makers really do sort the hairs and make the knots by hand which is very expensive.

upload_2018-2-17_11-58-45.png Link. $57. 30 mm.

upload_2018-2-17_12-7-45.png Link. $285. 30 mm.

upload_2018-2-17_12-12-4.png Link. $295. 30 mm.

upload_2018-2-17_12-2-36.png Link. $314. 30 mm.

upload_2018-2-17_12-18-51.png Link. $929. Large size (whatever that means; their sizes are obscure)

A good many of the upper end brushes are not as expensive as some other upper end brushes. You can find many more examples at whatever price you are looking for above $250. All are expensive but there's a big difference between a brush price of $57 or $285 and a brush price of $929. I'm pretty sure there are brushes for Saudi princes with many zeros, jewels and precious metals, but I've not been on Old Bond Street in recent years.

I'm fine with my $57 MS brush. It is a truly wonderful brush. I think it the best brush I can imagine in terms of the function and the feel on my skin, but I've not tried the $929 brush so how could I possibly know what I'm missing.

My guess is a lot of the difference is in the handles and the artistry.

upload_2018-2-17_12-36-55.png

And, the profit margin!

I've known people with extreme wealth. A few, very cheap. Some, into the display of wealth. One or two, totally unaware of the price of anything they buy because it really doesn't matter if there are two or three more zeroes on the check, or no zeroes.

My suspicion is the last two of these groups of people add considerably to the profit margins of some brush makers.

There are gentlemen on this forum who have and spend disposable income far beyond my view of what I would spend if I had huge amounts of money. I'm all for them trying out and/or collecting all the expensive razors and brushes, and supporting businesses that therefore stay afloat and can supply my needs should I decide there is truly a reason why a Simpson brush is enough better than a Maseto Shaving brush to justify the price difference.

upload_2018-2-17_12-46-46.png

I'm no expert on the Chinese business models, but I'd bet MS brushes won't always be inexpensive.

From the ebay vendor:

High quality art handle,100% Silvertip Badger Hair,Please don't miss it.

All people ask : Why the item is so cheap ? is the item have any quality defect ?
Answer :In order to expand brand awareness , So I decided to sell the price is a symbolic price for every good man.
So please don't worry about the item is the presence of defects.

But please don't worry, if you are not satisfied with it,
We offer a return service, don't need you to pay the return postage.
The last and most importantly, if you are satisfied with it, recommend to your family, friends, colleagues, this is the best feedback to us,Millions of thanks !
hand-made workshop is to accept OEM​

I'm not sure entirely about what all of this means, but I take it at face value. I like my brush and I'm telling you about it. I don't care how the knot was tied, but only if the knot works and holds up. Supply and demand always rule, right?

upload_2018-2-17_13-1-46.png

I'm no expert on brushes either, and maybe you do get what you pay for, but I suspect you don't, and I suspect there's a strong drop off as the law of diminishing returns kicks in. Of course, I like my Toyota.

Just wondering. Assuming equal knot quality and brush size and ignoring price which of the brushes pictured above would you rather have?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just wondering. Assuming equal knot quality and brush size and ignoring price which of the brushes pictured above would you rather have?

Honestly, on looks alone its between the MS and the $900 Plisson. I very much doubt the actual difference is worth the $850 entrance fee.

That brush would be well over $1000CAD. The MS, just under $80CAD.

Even if my daily driver was a Ferrari 612, I couldnt spend $1000 on a shaving brush lol.

You might like this. They tried, and failed, to kill a Toyota HiLux.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Nick

Nick, I think you're going to be blown away by the MS brush you've ordered.

Now, obviously I can't be sure of that because your knot is not my silvertip, but I know I love two-band brushes, and I've read reviews of the two-band MS 30 mm brush. Let's Google it. link here.

Read the non B&B reviews, too, if you're worried.

I'd be happy to have a few Paladins and SV brushes. Not doubt about it. However, my feeling of having the need for a better brush has evaporated.

My feeling now is there's zero need to seek a better brush. My Maseto Shaving brush is the world's best brush. Is that objectively correct? I have no idea. It doesn't matter. I'm satisfied, and so why look further.

I once wanted a Chubby 3. Now I don't.

I believe you'll have the same response to your brush, but maybe not.

Mine took two weeks plus one day to reach me from the date I ordered it. Be patient.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not doubt about it. However, my feeling of having the need for a better brush has evaporated.

My feeling now is there's zero need to seek a better brush. My Maseto Shaving brush is the world's best brush. Is that objectively correct? I have no idea. It doesn't matter. I'm satisfied, and so why look further.

I once wanted a Chubby 3. Now I don't.

BAD killer, wow. That is big.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A late Saturday shave satisfied me reasonably well.

Again, I used the Maseto Shaving 30 mm silvertip fan. I noticed yesterday no hair loss, but there were a few today. No big deal. I expect some with a new brush.

My razor was the ATT SE1 loaded with a Proline blade. Nice!

upload_2018-2-17_15-27-6.png
This soap really is quite fine.

The brush was every bit as good as yesterday, but no brush is likely to blow my mind two days in a row. Today I was expecting it, and I got it.

SE1Handle+HeadGoodJPG.JPG

The SE1 is a super nice razor. It is not as easy for me to use as my injectors. It does not inspire the confidence for to throw it around on my face and neck that the injectors do. It does not smooth the very difficult area right under my lower lip as well as the injectors (and they, in turn, don't do that area as well as a DE razor).

What I believe better about the SE1 is its ability to smooth the left side of my neck a bit better than the injectors. I think this entire an issue of my grip (the position of my hand) being better on the SE1 for that area of my neck. I'm working on improving the shave of that area with the injectors.

The SE1 is easy enough to use for sure. It is smooth. It is reasonably efficient (the caveat: There is no razor and blade combination I've tried as efficient as I'd like the kit to be). I'm glad I have the razor.

upload_2018-2-17_15-33-52.png

I want one of these brushes, too, but I'll be patient with my desires. Beehives appeal to me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, you know you're killing me with this new brush, right? Better than a Stirling Fan shaped badger? Yikes that is a good brush...

Well, yes, it's considerably softer, and that's not knocking the Stirling. You know I really like all my Stirling brushes, especially the butterscotch fan two-band.

The MS 30 mm silvertip fan is very interesting to me in the way it feels and fits on my face. It seems just right for painting the soap in large strokes left to right, and releases an amazing amount of loaded soap during my first stage of lather application without having been heavily loaded.

It also works nicely in a circular pattern, but doesn't seem to splay in the same way other brushes do. It does splay, but not a whole lot, and it doesn't seem to need to splay much. That probably makes no sense. I don't quite get it either.

Partly, it's a very large brush. Not a big, tall loft, but a very wide working end, and a lot of brush between the tips and the handle. A lot of volume to hold water and soap and lather, I guess. A whole forrest of little badger hairs.

They sell a MS brush in two-band said to be extra dense or something like that, and its reviews are good. I don't know what extra dense would be with this brush though as it seems plenty dense already.

It would be very interesting to be able to directly compare it with brushes I don't have, the super expensive brushes said to be much more dense than an oak tree. I don't have anything to compare it to except the brushes I own. I'm not saying it is more dense than my other brushes, but I do not think it is less dense either. Since none of my current brushes are what people call high end brushes I'm just guessing about anything comparative with any other brush, other than mine I mean.

Don't get me wrong here, Joel. I'd be perfectly happy with three Stirling brushes. They're all great brushes. Three would be the right minimum number for me just so they get really dry between uses; but I used one brush, the Stirling fan, for the entire Fixed Four and had no problems.

I'm probably overselling the Maseto. It might fall apart or become scritchy tomorrow. Still, after the first use of it, and again after the second use of it, I felt it better than any of my other brushes.

Read the reviews others have posted about the brush on Google, linked.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Well, yes, but the force of a credit card bill is also strong.

Maseto Shaving sales would go up if there were reviews comparing the 30 mm silvertip with the 30 mm two-band and comparing the 30 mm brushes with the smaller knots.

I'm getting lots of questions on the forum and in PM conversations but I only know the brushes I have. I'm no sort of brush expert, and I have little experience with only a smallish collection.

Inquiring minds want to know.

You know I have already ordered another 30 mm silvertip fan. Black handle this time. I was really torn between it and a two band beehive or a two band smaller knotted brush, but knowing what I was getting won out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom