What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Hello !

Can someone please help me.

I have been using the Uppercut Matt Pomade and I really love the finish/look. The hold is not perfect, but the main problem is that it doesn't last long and it needs a lot of product to get the perfect look.

I bought the Monster Hold to try something stronger, and it's an amazing pomade, very easy to restyle, but like I suspected a bit too oily, shiny for everyday use.

Do you guys have any recommendations for something with a strong hold and Matte finish ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
Hello !

Can someone please help me.

I have been using the Uppercut Matt Pomade and I really love the finish/look. The hold is not perfect, but the main problem is that it doesn't last long and it needs a lot of product to get the perfect look.

I bought the Monster Hold to try something stronger, and it's an amazing pomade, very easy to restyle, but like I suspected a bit too oily, shiny for everyday use.

Do you guys have any recommendations for something with a strong hold and Matte finish ?

Thanks !
Look into the clays that David recommended or pastes depending on how much texture you want.

Baxter of California Clay is superb. I also like Arcadian Clay. Both are really nice. Baxter doesn't wear off, as it's a firm hold.

Thank you.

I am going to order the Arcadian Clay. It seems to be pretty popular at the moment and easy to apply.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, after just more than 3 years from when I started this never-ending thread we are close to 100 pages and 2,000 replies! :a14:

Thank you to all those who have participated and continue contributing on regular bases. And, of course, don't stop having fun and enjoying the wonderful world of hair pomades! :001_smile

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’ve got some Arcadian Clay Pomade inbound as well. Been sporting a slicked side part for a few months and just cut my hair shorter and decided to go back to matte for a while. Can’t wait to try it! Just tossed out the last bit of Dead Sea Clay I had because it developed an odd odor while it sat unused.

I am a 58 year old man who just discovered pomades within the last two weeks. I feel like I've missed out on years that I could have been having better hair days and actually taken better care of my hair.

But I am slowly realizing that pomades can be every bit as addicting as wet shaving or fragrances! Maybe the problem is me... Nah! :D

I am a 58 year old man who just discovered pomades within the last two weeks. I feel like I've missed out on years that I could have been having better hair days and actually taken better care of my hair.

But I am slowly realizing that pomades can be every bit as addicting as wet shaving or fragrances! Maybe the problem is me... Nah! :D
They are VERY addicting. Especially oil based ones :001_302:

I love these threads... I am someone who keeps his hair really short; it is straight, but I use product to give it texture (e.g., so it's not boring). Been using American Crew fiber for several years because it holds really well (I also finish with a spritz of hairspray, using small hair dryer to make sure everything is set).

I'm inspired to try other strong hold pomades. Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

47 and 3 or 4 months of the same story.

I am really enjoying the differences between the Iron Society and the UWB pomades I've tried. The pliability and styleability all day is my favorite difference.

Now I am waiting for more OB pomades to arrive while I finish testing this one. I figured I should give each OB 3 days to test so I can check out the build-up effect...

I am finding out that Iron Society is not as user friendly on the second day as I had hoped. Some more research probably would have told me that. In retrospect, probably not the best OB pomade for a newbie to try on his first outing.

I'm not entirely displeased, but I do feel that the buildup on the second day was a little too waxy for my taste. Styling is not as easy as it was on the first day, or as it was with the WB pomades I had tried previously.

So now I am trying to decide on the second OB pomade to try. Goon Grease and Royal Crown are the two I have on hand, but I have more on the way, including Murray's, Shear Revival Easy Tiger, and others.

Any thoughts? Bearing in mind that my experience with OB pomades is very limited?

I should mention that my hair is thick, curly/wavy and generally pretty dry.

TIA

Here's my list of MUST have oil based pomades:

• Dax Wave and Groom - A shinier version of Murray's Superior. It's great for people with thick and curly hair. You can get tons of volume with Dax
  • High Life Heavy pomade
  • High Life Medium
  • High Life Voodoo Brew I
  • Murray's Xtra Heavy
  • Murray's Exelento and Murray's Super Light
  • Black and White pomade + Black and White Lite - Both are great
  • Royal Crown Hair Dressing and RC Pomade
  • Murray's Nunile pomade
  • Lockhart's Heavy Hold pomade - great for people with thick and curly hair. This is also great stuff for people with thinning hair. You only need a little of this stuff
To add shine to hair you'll need these nice Brilliantine products:

- Tres Flores Brilliantine Liquid Oil
- Vaseline Tonic

Last edited:
Top Bottom