What's new

To Badger or not to Badger?

I have been wet shaving for 3+ years and usually like to get things within a budget. I look for deals. Anyway I started with a boar brush then added a couple synthetics. I have used a few badgers but they always seem very floppy and weak to me once they are wet and full of lather. I have some vintage brush handles that I am restoring but I don’t want to spend money on Badger and get the same results and disappointment. Is Badger over rated or have I just had some bad knots or perhaps my technique sucks?

What do you think is a good place to get Badger Knots? TGN? Is there any particular one you would recommend?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If you'd like a budget badger, these are coming to be well regarded. I have one on order. Yaqi. Also available on Amazon.

You might also look at MS brushes on Ebay. Also well reviewed in various places.

@ZigZiglar has a few Yaqi brushes and maybe by now has ordered a few of the MS brushes hahaha.

Edit to add: Below is a review of the Yaqi Silvertip Badger.

Yaqi Brush Mini Review

Last edited:
This is very much YMMV!

For me, a nice badger is a great way to start most days. Unfortunately, my personal price point is definitely higher for a good badger. I find that 'pure' and 'budget' badgers have not been to my taste. Perhaps a good Christmas present?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Top quality boar and synthetic brushes are pretty cheap. Top quality silvertip badgers are pretty expensive. I don't have the impression you're sold on pretty expensive. That leaves a couple of alternatives:

Get a pretty good badger - lot's of people make them work, but not what I'd recommend.

Get something you know you'll like for not a lot of money.

You could get a 2 band as they are generally not floppy, but there is a lot of variety in the knots.

Price lower to higher: Whipped Dog Silvertip, TGN Premium Silvertip, Elite Razor Manchurian White. Not of these are excessively expensive, but all are very good. I own and use them all.

Brushes are very much YMMV.

I have restored vintage brushes, and used TGN knots (boar, badger, synthetic) and knots removed from Omega (boar) and Vie-Long (horse) modern handles.

I also perfer boar and horse hair brushes over badger, for me they work better.

So if you like boar, then get the knot that will fit your vinatge handles from a modern brush.

10 out of 10 badgers surveyed recommend Plissoft synthetic brushes, which start at $10.

badger.png

My guess is that the badger brushes you’ve tried are 3 band. For a 3-band badger brush you would need a more densely packed knot to attain a firmer backbone. For example, a Simpson Chubby 2 in best badger is not floppy, but it is also not a budget brush. In contrast, 2-band badger brushes have more backbone due to the thicker shafts of hair in the knot. As mentioned by previous posters, some affordable options are TGN (The Golden Nib), Elite Razor knots, or Stirling knots.

First, these are “affordable” by badger brush prices, not necessarily boar or synthetic prices. Second, I have tried TGN and Elite Razor knots and of those two I would say the Elite Razor knot is higher quality and worth the somewhat higher price. I have not tried Stirling’s 2-band knots, but I have read many good reports on them, so they seem a solid option as well. In all regards for these three suppliers, you’ll get a badger knot with a stronger backbone and soft tips.

For dimensions if you’re not sure what you’d want, I’d stick to a 1:2 ratio (for example, 24mm x 48mm). If you think you want a scrubbier knot, then drop the loft by 2mm (for example, 24mm x 46mm).

Good luck on your exploration! I’ve found it to be a fun journey.

Low quality badger brushes are utterly worthless. Sterling sells a $40 badger that is better than a lot of brushes that cost much more.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Low quality badger brushes are utterly worthless. Sterling sells a $40 badger that is better than a lot of brushes that cost much more.

I wonder where the Stirling badgers brushes are made and who makes them...

I wonder where the Stirling badgers brushes are made and who makes them...

Most likely they are made in China. Most, if not all, badger hair is sourced from China. Some vendors like Simpson and Shavemac hand tie their knots in-house at their facilities. Other knots that are sourced from China are probably hand tied in a Chinese factory and shipped out. At the end of the day it comes down to a) do you like how the knot looks and feels, b) can you build a good lather, and c) is the knot construction quality enough to last awhile? (meaning years with proper care)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Most likely they are made in China. Most, if not all, badger hair is sourced from China. Some vendors like Simpson and Shavemac hand tie their knots in-house at their facilities. Other knots that are sourced from China are probably hand tied in a Chinese factory and shipped out. At the end of the day it comes down to a) do you like how the knot looks and feels, b) can you build a good lather, and c) is the knot construction quality enough to last awhile? (meaning years with proper care)

I have no intention of turning this into a morals thread, but if one takes the time to educate oneself, what you learn may be surprising.

Myself and a few members of the forum have been exploring this the last few days since I decided to buy a badger brush.

There are dozens, if in fact not many more, Chinese manufacturing plants that make brushes for the entire cosmetic industry. One such manufacturing plant, on its own, can supply up to 10,000,000 units per month.

Ten Million.

Per month.

The entire scope and consequently, all of the implications involved in such a manufacturing facility are a bit mind boggling and I personally have to admit, are a bit disturbing.

I find I'm having a hard time finding the proper words to be diplomatic regarding this and ultimately its a personal decision but the numbers are staggering to say the least.

I hope to enjoy my Yaqi Silvertip, and if I do, a 30mm, possibly a Maseto (MS) brush, will be next on my list.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have no intention of turning this into a morals thread, but if one takes the time to educate oneself, what you learn may be surprising.

Myself and a few members of the forum have been exploring this the last few days since I decided to buy a badger brush.

There are dozens, if in fact not many more, Chinese manufacturing plants that make brushes for the entire cosmetic industry. One such manufacturing plant, on its own, can supply up to 10,000,000 units per month.

Ten Million.

Per month.

The entire scope and consequently, all of the implications involved in such a manufacturing facility are a bit mind boggling and I personally have to admit, are a bit disturbing.

I find I'm having a hard time finding the proper words to be diplomatic regarding this and ultimately its a personal decision but the numbers are staggering to say the least.

I hope to enjoy my Yaqi Silvertip, and if I do, a 30mm, possibly a Maseto (MS) brush, will be next on my list.

That is a lot of brushes. I had no idea there was a world market for anywhere close to that many badger brushes. Doesn't sound like wet shaving is all that rare.

What are the moral implications of concern?

As far as I know - I've read up on this, but don't feel completely informed - badgers are harvested to eat. The hair is a byproduct in the same way leather is a byproduct of eating cows rather than the reason the cows are raised and killed.

As I said, I'm not 100% sure about any of this. It could be there is some factory farming of badgers, but, if there is, I can not find any convincing or strongly suggestive information to that effect. Not saying I've done exhaustive research. Also, I'm not interested in pursuing it to the ends of the earth.

To badger or not to badger? What is the option? Boar?

I like the synthetics okay, but not even close to as much as boars and badgers.

Happy shaves, regardless of brushes used,

Jim

Top Bottom