What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Speaking of the 3rd veinette in that line up...mine just came in the mail today...
Very exciting as my only other coticule is a #8 bout of no particular vein.
It's like Christmas
proxy.php

As I looked it over everything looked good but I could tell once I wet it down to wash the pencil off it had some cracks to deal with...one was all the way through the BBW from bottom to top
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I couldn't resist honing on it a bit even before dealing with the cracks as the one on the surface didn't seem to be an issue. It didn't take long before I could feel the edge catching a bit on the one long crack that crosses nearly the entire stone so I called it off let it dry and hit it with some CA. Seems like a lot of cracking and I'm more than a little worked about the one that runs all the way through both layers of stone. Any advice other than what I've already done?
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Beautiful stone. I love that pink that's blushing through. I believe @Dilbone bought the third one in that group. Glad they all went to members here.

I noticed the third one was gone yesterday. Glad I ordered mine when I did, it's making the learning curve much easier to overcome. I can see where a 6 or 8 inch stone would be easier to work with but that size in an LV would probably be out of my price range. I mentioned wanting a small travel stone like the ones posted here yesterday but I think this bout will work perfectly fine in that roll. What I need next is a bevel setter like the Chosera 1k and maybe a 4k Naniwa at some point. No hurry on those though, I'm really enjoying this little stone. You guys (and this forum) have helped me immensely with getting results so quickly in the process, it could've been ugly indeed.
Jack

You should have contacted the vendor before doing anything further like you did.
I got the same response I got for the cracks in my last coticule. CA glue, treat it gently and it will be fine. He was right last time, hopefully I won't have any sad endings on this one either.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Any advice other than what I've already done?
That's too many cracks to deal with, Chris. You could almost certainly fill them and use it with success, but that's just too much for a brand new stone IMO. If he won't take that one back or exchange it I'll send you mine.

That's too many cracks to deal with, Chris. You could almost certainly fill them and use it with success, but that's just too much for a brand new stone IMO. If he won't take that one back or exchange it I'll send you mine.
No way man, you're not doing that.

I'm gonna lap it later on tonight(hopefully a good 7 or 8 hrs of dry time is good enough)and let it ride. I was more concerned about how huge the one on the back is. I just wanna get an edge finished off of this stone so I can shave with it!!!!

On a positive note, the stone felt awesome with the laps I did on it before the cracks became painfully apparent and I'm excited to get it lapped up again and ready

Ok.... Having been a jnat guy since I got started, I can finally play in this thread.
I was out with the Mrs. yesterday and spotted this cute little thing for $20, so it followed me home.
Top side lapped nicely, but if I want to do the bottom I'm going to have to take it out on the belt sander. There are some pretty heavy gouges in there.

I have no idea what it is or how it performs yet, I've been out at the forge all day, so nothing other than lapping it yet. There is about a 1/4 of an inch of good stone left on the top.

DSC_0559.JPG

David

Ok.... Having been a jnat guy since I got started, I can finally play in this thread.
I was out with the Mrs. yesterday and spotted this cute little thing for $20, so it followed me home.
Top side lapped nicely, but if I want to do the bottom I'm going to have to take it out on the belt sander. There are some pretty heavy gouges in there.

I have no idea what it is or how it performs yet, I've been out at the forge all day, so nothing other than lapping it yet. There is about a 1/4 of an inch of good stone left on the top.

View attachment 856076
Nice. Got a side pic handy?

After seeing the pics @Dilbone posted of his cracked bout, I went back over mine with a loupe. Sure enough there were three hairline cracks, the worst one runs full length across the face and down through the bbw. I sent a quick message to him for advice on repairing the cracks and stabilizing my stone, he was extremely helpful and encouraging, even checking back in with me to see how it was going - thanks dilbone.

It took me two attempts with CA to get the cracks sealed and lapped. My first attempt with straight CA was apparently too thick to flow into the hairline cracks so I lapped the stone again, applied a diluted CA solution, let it dry for several MORE hours, lapped the stone a third time and things seem much better. The longest crack is still slightly visible but the other two have vanished. I haven't gotten much experience honing on this bout but I sure am learning a lot about lapping stones - that counts, right? :blush:

I did send an email to Jarrod at TSS, just to explain the situation and run my planned repairs by him, he too was very encouraging. The initial results I got honing on this Veinette were promising enough that I had no intention of trying to exchange it for a different stone of unknown characteristics. I know this bout will be an outstanding stone once I'm more familiar with it. I've got several things to take care of today but hopefully I'll have a chance to hone my razor later on. While I'm tempted to order a coti in the 60x150mm range, I'm going to hold off for now and really focus on learning this bout.
Jack

That looks like a really nice coti Shawn
Finally sat down with it and did a touch-up on a razor. It behaves rather oddly. I went with water only because it was only a touch-up and it started leaving streaks on the stone with the first passes. Looked like I was using a lower grit synthetic.

I was surprised that it actually gave a very smooth and comfortable edge though. It looked like I was setting a bevel from the swarf on the stone, but it finished almost as keen as my jnats. Not quite as sharp, but a little smoother. Not a bad stone at all.

David

Finally sat down with it and did a touch-up on a razor. It behaves rather oddly. I went with water only because it was only a touch-up and it started leaving streaks on the stone with the first passes. Looked like I was using a lower grit synthetic.

I was surprised that it actually gave a very smooth and comfortable edge though. It looked like I was setting a bevel from the swarf on the stone, but it finished almost as keen as my jnats. Not quite as sharp, but a little smoother. Not a bad stone at all.
Was it freshly lapped? Some coticules will cut like mad when they're freshly lapped off a low grit diamond plate.

David

4851FF6D-4468-4719-877F-D8150379E83A.jpeg
Ol Preu La Veinettes don’t come up for grabs very often, and when they do you’d better pounce. 6x2 Natural Combo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom