What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm curious if I'll be as much a fan of SE razors as @rabidus is in say another 6 months or a year from now.

Personally I think you're having spectacular success with the Fatip platform. It is pretty hard to top a one pass, comfortable, long lasting, BBS shave. It's almost a why bother to try anything else position.

Logical For BOSC.jpg

That said, you're going to love SE razors when you get around to them. I'm not guessing.

Maybe you'll still prefer your Fatip. Maybe you'll have a rotation.

I see mixed reviews of the ATT SE1 and SE2, but if they are better than the Colonial General SS then they are damn good razors. Some say the ATT razors are better than the General; some say they aren't; I find little information as to why, or why not either way, so it might be a YMMV thing.

As much as I like the Schöne, it would be hard for me to say it is a better shaver than the SS General with a Schick Proline blade. As much as I like the SS General, it would be hard for me to say it is a better shaver than the Schöne with a Nacet.

Further Studies.jpg

Further studies are indicated.

You like rigid. You like sharp. You like little to no gap (actually, I think you like little Guard Span, but that's another story). The SE Artist Club razors and the sharp injectors cover those bases pretty well. Admittedly, it is very hard to deny the lack of Blade Gap and the rigidity and the tiny Guard Span of the Fatip/Schöne razors.

One of the possible advantages of the Schöne/Fatip is the razor's smoothness.

Again, further studies are indicated.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use Neutrogena fragrance free liquid face soap in the shower. I massage it in real good. When I get out, I apply my homemade preshave oil and then Super lather with VDH Deluxe and Aveeno Therapeutic shave gel.

ATG, I go over the left side of my chin 15+ times to smooth. My prep allows me to BBS it without irritation. Light swift strokes.

Sometimes I have no idea what you're talking about, but in this post I do. I've learned to read your mysterious posts again down the road to find out if I've learned enough to understand them

I have a couple of different shave oils and can't say they make any difference, but I like rubbing them into my skin, and maybe they help some with holding hydration from my shower in my skin.

When I go to the right stores I want to find the ingredients for a homemade shaving oil like yours.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Personally I think you're having spectacular success with the Fatip platform. It is pretty hard to top a one pass, comfortable, long lasting, BBS shave. It's almost a why bother to try anything else position.

I agree I am, but ...BOSC. It cannot be denied.

Sometimes I have no idea what you're talking about, but in this post I do. I've learned to read your mysterious posts again down the road to find out if I've learned enough to understand them

Bin there, done that lol.

tumblr_nlcxt7TRyX1rfd7lko1_500.gif

I'm curious if I'll be as much a fan of SE razors as he is in say another 6 months or a year from now.
... you're going to love SE razors when you get around to them.
The reason I won't try a SE razor is because I consider them to be the precursors of cartridges. And both have nasty protected blade edges which I HATE! I just love the open edges of the DE blades for accurate trimming round my sideburns and mustache. That's one of the reasons that I like "No Guard" DEs and Steep Angle shaving too.

Sorry to bore you guys, but I just had to get that off my chest. :stuart:

You're welcome.

Shave Secret is thick.

I use a mix of 3oz Sweet Almond oil, 2oz Caster oil and 2tsp Bergamont oil for scent. The Sweet Almond and Caster oil is supposedly good for skin. It goes on light and is gone after I shave, I use a Quarter sized puddle of it.

I tried other face soaps but like Neutrogena best.

Thanks for the advice, @rabidus! :thumbup1: I never tried castor oil mixed in, but I tried different oils with a cartridge razor before switching to DEs. I was trying to find a replacement to Shave Secret because of cost, so I know what you're talking about with your preshave oil being gone by the end of the shave, which especially makes sense given your use of shaving soap. I use a Neutrogena facial wash product when I shower, and a Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer after I shower. I've never tried Neutrogena's face soap. Oh, no. Something else I might need to buy. :001_unsur

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The reason I won't try a SE razor is because I consider them to be the precursors of cartridges. And both have nasty protected blade edges which I HATE! I just love the open edges of the DE blades for accurate trimming round my sideburns and mustache. That's one of the reasons that I like "No Guard" DEs and Steep Angle shaving too.

I'm sure you could find a way to file off any guards, safety bars, combs ect an SE may have. You are the founder of BOSC lol. Then, just think of that rigid blade...

I'm sure you could find a way to file off any guards, safety bars, combs ect an SE may have. You are the founder of BOSC lol. Then, just think of that rigid blade...

There is a market for thicker (≥0.15 mm or ≥0.006 in.) DE razor blades, if any manufacturer is interested! :biggrin1:

I see mixed reviews of the ATT SE1 and SE2, but if they are better than the Colonial General SS then they are damn good razors. Some say the ATT razors are better than the General; some say they aren't; I find little information as to why, or why not either way, so it might be a YMMV thing.

The General is not a bad razor. I had the aluminum.

Holding both the ATT SE1 and General at their shallowest shaving angle, the SE1 is more shallow, which for me, is a better cutting position. If that makes sense to you.

The SE2 is a different animal...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use a mix of 3oz Sweet Almond oil, 2oz Caster oil and 2tsp Bergamont oil for scent. The Sweet Almond and Caster oil is supposedly good for skin. It goes on light and is gone after I shave, I use a Quarter sized puddle of it.

I recorded the ingredients in my phone's Super Note app. Thanks.

Failures.jpg

Hey, @robbiebelling, welcome to the forum. You've found a thread which has somehow managed to attract some smart guys willing to help me stumble through learning this stuff without cutting my nose off.

not funny.jpg

We have a lot of fun. If you want to learn shaving stuff, and are crazy enough to enjoy the brotherhood, this is a great forum.

BOSC Special Branch.jpg

Advice: Buy a Schöne or a Fatip Piccolo or a Fatip Grande. Save money by skipping other razors. Buy one good boar brush for $15. Buy Captain's Choice soap or Wickham 1912 soap. Buy witch hazel. Use those items and only those items for a month or two or three.

Enablers Secret Society.jpg

Contrary advice: Do what we did. Buy everything.

Happy shaves,

Jim

GEM razors have blade stops, if that's what you're talking about. The ATT SE1 or SE2 doesn't have blade stops. Nor does the El Jefe and Mr SE AC razors.

The modern GEM Rocnel razor doesn't have blade stops either, I haven't used that one though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The General is not a bad razor. I had the aluminum.

Holding both the ATT SE1 and General at their shallowest shaving angle, the SE1 is more shallow, which for me, is a better cutting position. If that makes sense to you.

The SE2 is a different animal...

Different in what way? It's hard to get a handle on that. Opinions vary on all the SE stuff, but I see little to hang my hat on, and can't afford ATT razors just now (2 X $185 is beyond my current budget).

Sorry for being temporarily anti-BOSC, but it's only financial, and not permanent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Different in what way? It's hard to get a handle on that. Opinions vary on all the SE stuff, but I see little to hang my hat on, and can't afford ATT razors just now (2 X $185 is beyond my current budget).

Sorry for being temporarily anti-BOSC, but it's only financial, and not permanent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I paid $185 for the SE2 and paid $50 for the SE1 baseplate from their returns. A total of $235. The cap is the same for both the SE1 and SE2, so you don't have to buy two full razors, just one razor and the extra baseplate. I have one cap and one handle and 2 baseplates.

As far as the SE2 shave, it's more efficient, takes more focus, more room for error. The blade to cap angle is the same as the SE1, it's the same cap. The increased blade gap and open comb makes it more efficient.

GEM razors have blade stops, if that's what you're talking about. The ATT SE1 or SE2 doesn't have blade stops. Nor does the El Jefe and Mr SE AC razors.

The modern GEM Rocnel razor doesn't have blade stops either, I haven't used that one though.
Ha, right, thank you.:001_cool: Obviously what I know about SE razors you could write on the back of a stamp. I still don't like the apparently preferred shallow shaving angle attack though.
I'm sure you could find a way to file off any guards, safety bars, combs etc an SE may have. You are the founder of BOSC lol. Then, just think of that rigid blade...
What your post did make me think of Mike, was putting a SE blade on a handle/stick (somehow... to be thought about).

If the blade was rigid enough on its own (thickness? help me out here please @rabidus) that would be great as I wouldn't have the interference of caps and baseplates that I have with my "No Guard DE," sorta like a mini straight on a stick. :biggrin1:

I recorded the ingredients in my phone's Super Note app. Thanks.

View attachment 835976

Hey, @robbiebelling, welcome to the forum. You've found a thread which has somehow managed to attract some smart guys willing to help me stumble through learning this stuff without cutting my nose off.

View attachment 835978

We have a lot of fun. If you want to learn shaving stuff, and are crazy enough to enjoy the brotherhood, this is a great forum.

View attachment 835980

Advice: Buy a Schöne or a Fatip Piccolo or a Fatip Grande. Save money by skipping other razors. Buy one good boar brush for $15. Buy Captain's Choice soap or Wickham 1912 soap. Buy witch hazel. Use those items and only those items for a month or two or three.

View attachment 835981

Contrary advice: Do what we did. Buy everything.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That contrary advice was so much fun though! Well, I thought so at the time. Too many new shiny things at the beginning, so much more enjoyment now. Although my supply single edge is quite shiny in polished chrome...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I paid $185 for the SE2 and paid $50 for the SE1 baseplate from their returns. A total of $235. The cap is the same for both the SE1 and SE2, so you don't have to buy two full razors, just one razor and the extra baseplate. I have one cap and one handle and 2 baseplates.

As far as the SE2 shave, it's more efficient, takes more focus, more room for error. The blade to cap angle is the same as the SE1, it's the same cap. The increased blade gap and open comb makes it more efficient.

Thanks. That helps.

Ha, right, thank you.:001_cool: Obviously what I know about SE razors you could write on the back of a stamp. I still don't like the apparently preferred shallow shaving angle attack though.

What your post did make me think of Mike, was putting a SE blade on a handle/stick (somehow... to be thought about).

If the blade was rigid enough on its own (thickness? help me out here please @rabidus) that would be great as I wouldn't have the interference of caps and baseplates that I have with my "No Guard DE," sorta like a mini straight on a stick. :biggrin1:

I prefer shallow with any razor, I'm sure you can get steep to work!

The blades are thick and if mounted on a handle should work.

I have a SEvette micromatic if you want to play with it! It's the one on the right, it has blade stops though. It's different from a DEvette.

IMAG0399_1.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

One stick, wooden doweling.

wooden_dowels.jpg
Instant epoxy

e4d1ff01-81ad-41b1-84bc-a30fc7bee03b.jpg

One SE blade stuck to said stick.

X_Acto_X670_X670_Single_Edge_362348.jpg
= how many shaves?

12113749.jpg

Top Bottom