What's new

Razors without overhang!

he's talking about the none-cutting ends peaking through the sides of the razor.
I know fatip's razors have very little to almost none at all, razorock has a few razors with literally no overhang. The merkur progress and parker variant also have no overhang, and they're adjustable.

The Above the Tie Windsor has no overhang. It's a really nice looking razor--I especially like the copper, but they don't come cheap. If I was in the market, I would look into any risk of getting copper of stainless steel.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have Ming Shi 2000 adjustable that has no overhang of blade but has a cool looking cap, Merkur futur also has a similar cap. Ming Shi is clone of the Merkur futur and I like it.(Its not perfect but a nice shaver for around $10 U.S!

Reactions: bjm
Blade overhang has never been an issue with me, though I believe it's evidence of superior engineering in a DE razor. When present I admire and welcome it.

The Merkur Futur, the Merkur Vision 2000, and the Barbasol Floating Head razors are examples from my collection that do not have blade overhang.

The overhang often makes me feel uncomfortable when shaving my neck in a particular area, it's difficult to avoid this, therefore I'd like a razor without this problem.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
What about razors having no overhang and not made of Zamac?
Zamac is great. Gillette started using Zamac heads in the Techs around the time of the Korean War and there are still brazillions of them around and most look brand new.

Almost all the Gem and AC format razors cover the whole blade.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Fatips don't have overhang?
I'm not really sure what over hang means? I do know they have no gap. Here's a picture of mine loaded up though.
062.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Oh, you all are talking about the tabs sticking out on each end of the blade and the razor head covering them or not? That's for adjusting.

Last edited:
True, the blade overhang is for adjusting the position of the blade, but still it makes some shavers nervous. They see it as a potential safety hazard. I respect that concern, though I've never been injured by blade overhand in over 65 years of wet shaving.

True, the blade overhang is for adjusting the position of the blade, but still it makes some shavers nervous. They see it as a potential safety hazard. I respect that concern, though I've never been injured by blade overhand in over 65 years of wet shaving.

Well if that's a safety concern, then a person should reconsider shaving with DE razor altogether. :D
I'm just kidding @DanteShaves - but if I'm honest do find it a bit unusual that this worries you.

I mean, I respect that you have concerns about it, but just can't see the scenario where this would present a danger to you?

Thanks for the replies. The razor would be for severe service, my wife's. She's bugged by the blade overhang and resulting irritation when she shaves under her arms. I don't have anything here that will work.

I think Zamac would be a bust as it would end up living in the bath accessories on her tub, subject to dampness and potential of being banged around. She doesn't cherish double-edged razors as we do.

I think Zamac would be a bust as it would end up living in the bath accessories on her tub, subject to dampness and potential of being banged around. She doesn't cherish double-edged razors as we do.
The Wilkinson Sword might be worth a try. It's supposed to be mild, and plastic can be surprisingly durable when you least expect it. Plus, replacements should be quite cheap! The alternative would seem to be a far more expensive stainless steel razor, which is still not entirely immune to oxidation and physical abuse.

The Wilkinson Sword might be worth a try. It's supposed to be mild, and plastic can be surprisingly durable when you least expect it. Plus, replacements should be quite cheap! The alternative would seem to be a far more expensive stainless steel razor, which is still not entirely immune to oxidation and physical abuse.
+1 for the wilkinson sword razor, if she's just gonna abuse it, get somethin cheap that can handle it and be easily replaced; It's a very good razor despite how inexpensive it is.

Top Bottom