What's new

What are you listening to?

And on a related note saw these guys in a tiny local bar in the late 80's, same week saw David Lindley this time in a tiny Toronto bar. Good week.

Ended up seeing Hunters & Collectors opening for Midnight Oil in a stadium, Midnight Oil borrowed their horn section.

Love a Tele and a Vox.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
@davent

I was listening to Neil Finn singing a old Hunters of Collectors song yesterday as well, so very much related.

Neil Finn

Hunters & Collectors

Last edited:
The first song i had up in my post was Throw Your Arms Around Me but then i thought i'd go for early and i remembered The Slab from the first show, made a big impression, that grinding bass and slashing Tele had me in a sec.

Both those bands got lots of play around here as my wife was a big fan as well. We saw Midnight Oil at least half a dozen times over the years. First time i saw Midnight Oil was 1983 or '84 at the good old El Macombo in Toronto, again a tiny little club and perched right at the stage, incredible!

El Mocambo - Wikipedia

... from the wiki...

Major acts[edit]
Over the years other major music acts appeared at the venue, including Marilyn Monroe, internationally famous jazz performers, including Grover Washington, Jr., Charles Mingus, and Al Di Meola, and rock acts such as U2, Moxy, Elvis Costello, The Ramones, John Cougar Mellencamp, Duran Duran, Dream Theater, The Rolling Stones, Stevie Ray Vaughan, April Wine, Bo Diddley, Tom Cochrane and Red Rider, Blondie, Meat Loaf, Jimi Hendrix, Queens of the Stone Age, Teenage Head, Shakin' Natives, and Congress Court.[6]

On March 4, 1977, looking for an unprepossessing venue to record in, The Rolling Stones played the first of two performances at the club, billing themselves pseudonymously as "The Cockroaches". It was their first live club date in 14 years. Their opening act was Canadian rockers April Wine of Montreal. The Stones show was recorded and released as one side (Side 3) of the double album Love You Live, which reached #3 in the UK, #5 in the US. April Wine took advantage of the high-tech remote recording equipment brought by the Stones to record their own show for a live album as well.[7]

On May 9, 2008 the acclaimed American hard-rock band Queens of the Stone Age had a surprise concert at El Mocambo as part of their Canadian tour.[8]

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Sounds like a great little place, Dave.

Another Aussie band from back then that I enjoyed was TheAngels.

Last edited:
Nice, Gilbert has a fantastic voice.
I have a funny reaction to Oceans of Slumber where I love where they take you on a song by song basis, but feel like the albums don't hang together very well as a whole.

Unfortunately, the drummer just lost his house in the Hurricane; there's a crowdfunding campaign out there if any fans want to lend support.

Sounds like a great little place, Dave.

Another Aussie band from back then that I enjoyed was TheAngels.

Awww, there's no 'Am I ever going to see your face again?'. The crowd replying to Doc when he sang that line almost seems silly now but it certainly was fun at the time.

I should also add that the crowd singing 'You don't treat me like I'm a woman anymore' when the Hunters did Say Goobye was also a highlight from that era.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Awww, there's no 'Am I ever going to see your face again?'. The crowd replying to Doc when he sang that line almost seems silly now but it certainly was fun at the time.

I contemplated posting it but the crowds reply does not fit here on B&B...........you may not have seen my face again......... :punk:

Top Bottom