What's new

Opinions Wanted on Restoration

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I finally got my $20CAD Gillette Aristocrat in the mail after 62 days!

The razor appears to be functionally sound with almost complete plate loss and one lazy door. As it is, it functions well enough to use but it's certainly not pretty to look at.

This first set of pictures is after two one hour boiling hot water and Dawn soaks with a thorough scrubbing between soaks and one after.

IMG_1803.jpg IMG_1804.jpg

The next pictures are after a good scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend. Proof is in the pictures, do not use it on gold. The only reason I did was the plating was at a complete loss anyway.

IMG_1807.jpg IMG_1808.jpg IMG_1809.jpg IMG_1810.jpg IMG_1811.jpg IMG_1813.jpgIMG_1812.jpg

The lazy door can be seen along with how both doors close and they close the same on each side of the razor. The center bar, or perhaps the head itself may be bent slightly as shown in the last picture.

My question is, is this razor a good candidate for repair and replating?

The price was right so I might not mind restoring it. I could if need be, polish it up myself and make it look presentable if nothing else but I'd really rather let someone do it right, if it's worth doing.

To me it looks like the safety bar is bent and the door is hitting it. How does it look with a blade in it?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The safety bars appear straight, with one maybe having a slight outwards bow in the center. The blade appears to sit as it should.

The center bar itself looks off more than anything else.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I guess you could call it an Aristocrat but I'm seeing a Regent Tech. Fix that bent T-bar and use it. There are some pretty deep scratches in the doors that will be tough to remove before a smooth plating job.

Congrats on the (what seems to me) 1940 razor.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1940 Regent Tech.JPG

A Regent Tech. Thats one I've never heard of. Thanks for the link.

I have no idea how to go about straightening the bar and yes, I'd like to use it. There are scratches on the doors and I may work on them with wet sandpaper.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Could be a '41 Aristocrat if, inside the head, it has the inscription that reads, "PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE."
I couldn't quite tell from your pic. Regent Tech is blank.

Fixing the T-bar isn't too tough.
What is wrong with my Gillette?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The inside of the head with enhanced contrast and detail.

IMG_1819.JPG

The camera can sometimes see better than I can but there doesnt look to be anything stamped inside the head.

Thanks for the link. I'll give that a good read!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I would shave with it for several weeks before deciding whether to restore.

First shave coming up shortly, with I think a Feather blade.

I have wet sanded the doors and given them a light polish and this razor is coming up surprisingly well. I'll add pics when I think its prettier to look at lol.

The knob started dropping also on further cleaning. Not a big deal and I've read about how to fix that so thats also on the agenda.

I would fix the dropped knob and the lazy door, shave with it for several weeks, and then if you really love the razor consider spending serious money on replating.

Rushing into a restoration/replating job is kinda like rushing into a marriage. It is a serious undertaking that deserves serious thought and some planning.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Rushing into a restoration/replating job is kinda like rushing into a marriage. It is a serious undertaking that deserves serious thought and some planning.

Good advice, thanks.

Here I was thinking my NEW SC was aggressive....Ho, Lee, Crap!

This thing is all blade, and it sings. A fresh Polsilver in it and a simple 2 pass and done shave, but I did do another clean up pass over my neck that I didnt really need too. By far my closest shave yet. Definitely a keeper and once I get good enough with it, it may just be a single pass razor with a good sharp blade.

The amount of audible feedback was surprising, but welcome. The blade feel was also a shocker, but I dont mind that either.

Last edited:
I like TTOs, and the Aristocrat handles are probably my favorite. That said, this one has some marks against it.
Use it for a while and see what feelings develop.
If it's a keeper, I would first consider looking for one in better starting condition. If you're married to that one, let Cap tune it, then have it plated.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I like TTOs, and the Aristocrat handles are probably my favorite. That said, this one has some marks against it.
Use it for a while and see what feelings develop.
If it's a keeper, I would first consider looking for one in better starting condition. If you're married to that one, let Cap tune it, then have it plated.

A light wet sand today then on the buffing wheel for the doors and safety bars and its coming up really well. I'm shocked actually. I have a few fine scratches left on the edges of the doors and one more trip on the wheel and they should be good.

I'll work on it a bit more the next few days and add some more pics.

The center bar I dont understand. Its dead straight, but one side is higher than the other and its rock solid and will not move on either end up or down. That doesnt seem to affect the shave at all so I'm not that concerned with it.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

a beautiful Regent. The handle is fine, but head has some material loss, this will show through the plating.
I suspect the base plate is bent and also maybe twisted, this is why the T bar doesn't align properly. Also at least one of the end connectors looks to be off.
Before plating, I'd discuss with a polisher or polish up the baseplate to see how deep the crates really are.

Adam

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'd ask Cap what he thinks about it. Like others have said, don't rush into replating until you know it is sound and shaves well.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom