What's new

First Shave with the Micromatic Open Comb Razor

Glorious shave for me this morning. I can see why people love them and why people who like shiny new things want new razors which use these blades. [emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked out this evening and had a quick shower/rinse then decided to have a shave with the MMOC.:) (Just to see)

I used Stately shaving soap and it wasn't up to the job at all. Still, I came away with a DFS (two passes).:)

Just when I thought I was going to get irritation...nothing. No irritation.:) Wow!

It speaks volumes as to how smooth this razor is. Even with a shaving soap that lacked performance, the razor still came through. Any other razor, rated as aggressive, when using this soap, would've torn up my face.

So the Stately soap is off my list (or at least set aside...in retrospect, it may take more to work up a proper lather). Proraso is the solid performer.

Last edited:
Update: This morning, I realized that the blade I had used to start out using the MMOC came from my MMCP. This means it already had a good three or four shaves on it. This further explains why yesterday evening's shave was nice, but not quite as expected. Still, it showed how terrific the MMOC really is in giving a close shave without irritation or nicks...even with a blade that had been used three to four times previously.
So, I popped in a new Ted Pella blade and WOW!!!:jump:

Smooth, close and no irritation!:001_smile

Let me add for comparison that, when I used the Maggard V3 razor head, which many agree is highly aggressive, after three shaves I developed irritation on the neck and chin. I had to abandon the V3 and perhaps use it on rare occasions. I certainly could not use it every day.

With the MMOC, I've had a good three shaves, 12 hours apart (the V3 shaves were 24 hours apart). The first two shaves were with a used blade and I got outstanding results on shave one and DFS results on shave two. And, this is important, no irritation! It's a close shave, a smooth shave!

Shave three was just beautiful.

Hadn't shaved for 2 days, so a bit more of my gingery (Irish heritage, ha!) stubble with a couple of greyer hairs (getting old) mixed in. Still, an amazing shave. This is one of the razors I could happily use every day if I had to.

If I had a hedge fund, I'd be buying up every Gem razor I could find. Gems and AutoStrops. Just watch. If you are curious about Gems and AutoStrops now, but think you can always buy one for a song later, you may regret waiting. My sense is that the excitement about vintage Gillettes is transferring. Mostly to Gems. Some to AutoStrops.
Mine has recently, but don't tell anyone. Let's keep it our secret. The auto strop vc1 I bought last week (And posted in SE Acquisition thread) was $5 with box, blade holder, half dozen blades and strop...after the owner said he didn't think he had
any razors.
I also agree about the Gems/Everready from the 1912 to the MMOC, depending on the day.
I'm still learning, but loving it!

As someone who generally switches razor and even razor type on a daily basis (DE, SE, and straight/shavette) it's rare for a razor to grab my attention as much as the MMOC has this week. I think I skipped a day but the MMOC has been the razor I've used maybe 5 days in the last 7. It's just incredible.
I can feel a big razor sale coming on soon!

As I posted in another thread, I had my first MMOC shave this morning, too. Loved it. Didn't feel harsh at all to me. It was also the first time I had used an SE in about 7 years. I'll be firing up the MMOC tomorrow morning, too.

My pleasure.

This is exactly the route I took. I bought the razor, bought the CVS blades, had a great shave, and then saw the blade's shortcomings. I then ordered SS blades.:)

+1 to this! The MMOC was my first SE and I've still got my original banks of CVS blades. Shave-wise, they're awesome, and really hold an edge for a long time, but I just got tired of having to fight the rust, or forgetting and then having to toss it too soon. I have 200 GEM PTFEs on order from Ted Pella now, and they're supposed to be here next Monday. Can't wait!! Then I can add all my GEM type SEs back in to my regular rotation.

As someone who generally switches razor and even razor type on a daily basis (DE, SE, and straight/shavette) it's rare for a razor to grab my attention as much as the MMOC has this week. I think I skipped a day but the MMOC has been the razor I've used maybe 5 days in the last 7. It's just incredible.
I can feel a big razor sale coming on soon!

How's the quality of the shave from a MMOC compared to a str8 razor?

Top Bottom