What's new

Anyone make cowboy style coffee?

I have been wanting to try making cowboy style coffee for a while now. Anyone have experience with this? And I am looking for a stovetop version...not the on the camp fire, out on the range version.

There's a lot of variations, but basically bring water and grounds to a boil. Remove from heat. I pour about 1/2-3/4 cup of cold water slowly all around the top to get the grounds to settle. Pour the coffee slowly, especially around that last cup!

Some just let it sit a bit to let the grounds settle. Some toss egg shells in, which kills some bitterness.

It's almost critical that you not measure anything. Just dump "enough" coffee into the water. This ensures a brew like espresso, before we knew what espresso was. Hope that helps.

This guy makes it all the time. Cowboy coffee is the only way he'll take it.

proxy.php

I use a French press. It's basically cowboy coffee, with the press having the difference of using a screen to separate the grounds so they don't end up in your cup. Otherwise the brewing method is pretty much the same.

I use a French press. It's basically cowboy coffee, with the press having the difference of using a screen to separate the grounds so they don't end up in your cup. Otherwise the brewing method is pretty much the same.

The Duke wouldn't use a French press!:a17:

When I have had it the coffee and water is measured. The recipe I have seen uses one large scoop of coffee put in boiling water. The coffee is stirred for a few seconds and then the coffee is removed from the fire. Wait until the grounds settle and gently pour. It tends to be bitter. My brother-in-law makes the coffee by adding coffee to hot but not boiling water, which takes out the bitterness.

I have been wanting to try making cowboy style coffee for a while now. Anyone have experience with this? And I am looking for a stovetop version...not the on the camp fire, out on the range version.
By definition, it's not very precise: Throw some grounds in a pot of water and heat. Think a very big pot of Turkish or Armenian coffee. However, I'm not sure why you'd want to do this unless you were out and about, with limited resources; your cup will be better if you employ a screen, or filter like French press or pour-over.

The most important thing is that you need a course grind. This really helps. In the bush I use a stainless percolator to brew my coffee on my coleman stove. Best coffee you can get.
For true cowboy coffee the splash of cold water is key to settle the grounds. Also don't boil your coffee, it will be bitter.

I thought boiling water burnt the coffee is that why its bitter.
I don't think it's the boiling; Turkish/Armenian is boiled long enough to foam two times, and it tastes great.

Bitterness is an indication of over extraction, which is more dependent on time. So, boiling for too long would certainly be bitter; maybe that's where you got that.

I don't think it's the boiling; Turkish/Armenian is boiled long enough to foam two times, and it tastes great.

Bitterness is an indication of over extraction, which is more dependent on time. So, boiling for too long would certainly be bitter; maybe that's where you got that.

Exactly, boiling for too long will make it bitter, get your timing, amount and grind right, and it's perfect - no bitterness whatsoever.

Top Bottom