What's new

Martin de Candre's New Scent for Father's Day

Just loaded two into my cart and was going through checkout when I slapped myself silly. I have two unopened originals, two unopened travel, one unopened rose, one open original and one rose I am currently using (as June is the month of the rose)

What kind of madness is this where I almost dropped another $125 on soap

Thank God I didnt see this whilst under the influence

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My card was rejected at first because my bank thought it was fraud. I cleared it up through a text message alert and it went through the second time.

Same for me though I have ordered from them many times and travel to France using the same card, though I do alert them to travel.

I'd bought a razor from Japan the previous evening (from a seller I have also bought from many times) and I guess two foreign charges on different sides of the globe triggered an automatic 'decline' and they sent me a text message with the two charges listed and to reply 'yes' if the charges were OK. I did and the card then worked normally.

Call your card issuer's customer service. This is always a pain with all the automated menus but I'm glad there at least computers watching the charges on our cards for patterns of fraud even though they aren't foolproof.

Cheers, Steve

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Just loaded two into my cart and was going through checkout when I slapped myself silly. I have two unopened originals, two unopened travel, one unopened rose, one open original and one rose I am currently using (as June is the month of the rose)

What kind of madness is this where I almost dropped another $125 on soap

Thank God I didnt see this whilst under the influence

Variety is the spice of life!

I passed on the vetiver soaps because I don't care for vetiver much, but I do very much like citrus scents and it is summer. Stirling grapefruit (non menthol), Maggard Limes and Bergamot, CF lime cream, and SdV lavande-orange are favorites. So I did indulge in a couple of agrumes.

Cheers, Steve

Picked up a citrus, rose and huile de coprah. Now I really do think I have enough soap to last a lifetime.

So anyone else having issues with payment? It keep rejecting my card even though it's paid off

I had exactly the same issue several times over with several different cards. I think the new and improved fraud/early system is in need of some tweaking.

I suppose the minor inconvenience (it would have been more than that if the product had sold out before I was able to complete the transaction) is to be preferred over identity theft.

Citrus usually doesn't get along with my skin, but I just know that I will be haunted forever by the missed opportunity, if I don't find out what a limited edition MdC soap smells like and whether or not it truly does cause skin problems for me.

I pulled the trigger on a jar of citrus, and I'm hoping for the best!

Almost gave up, but third time was the charm. Had my payment rejected once (with the same card I made a previous MdC purchase) on my laptop. Then a second rejection with a different card on the laptop. Now, at work I'm on the same computer that I made my previous purchase and my payment went right through using the same card as I originally did.

Anyhow, I've got a jar of citrus heading westward. Added their savon invite (guest soap) sampler set too, so I'll get a good idea of their scents across the board.

BTW, vetiver is now available. (Think I read earlier in this thread that people were wondering if it was sold out)

I don't like the scent of the original MdC, and I'm not a huge fan of MdC in general, but this new scent sounds lovely.

Don't have the funds to purchase it so I'll live vicariously through y'all. Once you have tried the soap, please post your experiences. Thanks.

Regarding payment issues, I had trouble when I bought Rose, back in January. My card was rejected, so I had to try a different one. It took the second card without issue. This time around, there were no issues with my preferred card, but the website didn't work well. When I submitted the payment, it was stuck on the processing page for a while, and then gave me some kind of error saying that the page was unavailable. I tried to go back, and ended up refreshing the payment like five times. I was getting a bit worried that my card was going to be charged multiple times, even though payment never went through. I did get a series of emails from MdC, shortly afterward, and one charge on my card, so apparently the order was processed despite the wonkiness of the website.

Just discovered that the payment rejection resulted in a block being placed on my debit card by my bank. :001_huh: Got it
straightened out now, thanks to my bank sending me an email to let me know that I would need to resolve the issue to re-activate my card. Good to know they're on top of unusual activity on my account. Glad I didn't find out when I was trying to use the card for some other goods or services. Point being, if you got a rejection, might be worthwhile to make sure your account is not in a lock down state lest ye face a "Sir, this card wasn't accepted" in the near future. :a52:

Citrus usually doesn't get along with my skin, but I just know that I will be haunted forever by the missed opportunity, if I don't find out what a limited edition MdC soap smells like and whether or not it truly does cause skin problems for me.

If it doesn't work out, I'm pretty sure you'll get your money back with a post on the BST...

I would love to purchase this soap but I can't bring myself to pay that much in shipping.

I did the math and before placing my last order (2 large tubs, 3 x 250g soap bars) I found that, as overseas shipments are not subject to the French 20% value added tax (TVA), the order came to within $8 of what I would have had to pay when ordering in France.

I always felt attracted to the bergamot scent (I guess you could call me Earl Grey) and if this soap performs like my other Martin de Candre soaps I'd be very pleased.

B.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Tried to place my order today. Sheesh, that was like pulling teeth...

Tried to place order, site rejected my card, bank sent me a text. Responded to the text, bank said "all clear". Tried to place order again, rejected again. Tried about 5min later, rejected again. Called bank, went though verification and cust svc said all was good to go. Tried to place order again, with bank still on phone, rejected again. Bank cust svc did some magic keyboard clicking and asked me to try again. Tried to place order again, et voila, it worked.

Order placed!

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan

I struggled with getting the new MdC citrus scent too, for similar reasons. In the end I chickened out and removed it from my cart. Anyway, I have my "citrus" scent covered by Mikes Orange, Cedar & Black Pepper which is one of my all time favorite performing tallow soaps. So I don't think I'll be missing the MdC too much. For me, it's one of those I'd like to try before I buy type of deals, especially at this price point.

I ended up with the Fougere shave soap and some bath soap odds and ends...

Please let us know your thoughts on the citrus after you've had a chance to try it

Cheers!

Top Bottom