What's new

Martin de Candre's New Scent for Father's Day

For everyone running into purchase trouble with your bank or credit card...

Some banks offer virtual account numbers for one-time use online. This not only lets them know the purchase is legit, it keeps your actual card number safe from data breaches. It might be worth checking with your bank ahead of time.

Got my order today and we know the performance will be typical MDC so let me sum up the fragrance in one word: DELICIOUS!!!!!

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Received my order, too ... first thought that crossed my nose as I loosened the Agrumes lid was, Lemon Pledge :) ... and that's not being derogatory, I really like the scent!
And what's not to like about those pain in the bum, water-soluable French shipping peanuts?!!

Last edited:
Received my order, too ... first thought that crossed my nose as I loosened the Agrumes lid was, Lemon Pledge :) ... and that's not being derogatory, I really like the scent!
And what's not to like about those pain in the bum, water-soluable French shipping peanuts?!!
We've been patiently waiting for a description on the new Agrumes scent and you come up with 'Lemon Pledge'! You can do better than that surely :001_rolle

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
We've been patiently waiting for a description on the new Agrumes scent and you come up with 'Lemon Pledge'! You can do better than that surely :001_rolle
Haha ... truth be told, I am the last person on this forum who should be discussing anything related to something so amazing as this latest Martin de Candre offering. That said, upon opening the jar, I was greeted with a wonderful lemon-citrus scent. Unlike the Rose, Fougère & Original soaps, which to this nose, all share an obvious base scent, Argumes does not. And at the risk of sounding more unsophisticated than I really am, I'll leave it at that. However, I would be remiss if I did not say that as far as initial impressions go, Argumes certainly is my favorite MdC scent.

I thought a lemon
had a great first use. To me, like a fresh cut lemon, not tart, a combination of the zest and juice smell. Very refreshing.

Got mine today too. Very lemony, but in the best sort of way. Using it I got a hint of grapefruit (?). Kind of hard to tell. Finished the shave with Myrsol Agua de Limon. Almost a dead ringer for the soap.

Is this sold out? Temporarily? Permanently? Couldn't find it on the site and links come up "This product is no longer available".

Is this sold out? Temporarily? Permanently? Couldn't find it on the site and links come up "This product is no longer available".
Yes this was a "limited" release, they may bring it back at some point but who knows. I think they plan to bring back the rose for Christmas but I dont know about the citrus

Received mine yesterday as well. Shipping was pretty quick this time! 7 days from ordering to receiving. For the Rose release over the winter, it took nearly a month.

Regarding the scent, what a beautifully bright uplifting lemony-citrus delight!

Looking at the parfum oils composition on the bottom of the jar we have:

Limonene (citrus orange fresh sweet)
Citral (sharp lemon sweet)
Linalool (citrus floral sweet bois de rose woody green blueberry)
Geraniol (sweet floral fruity rose waxy citrus)

To my nose, it's a fresh squeezed zesty lemon on top with a sort of neroli-esque supporting accord just beneath that.
Definitely get a bright and prominant pop of the citral, then I suppose it's the limonene underneath that combined with the notes of linalool and geraniol presenting me with the neroli (orange blossom) vibe.

Performance is excellent, as comes expected with the brand. I did get a slight, if only just noticeable irritated sensation though. Hoping it's the first use of a fresh blade and not any sensitivity to the fragrance oils.

Appreciate the mention of Myrsol earlier in the thread for an aftershave suggestion. I have AOS lemon balm, and Stirling Lemon Chill witch hazel, but find the AOS scent a little dull compared to MdC Agrumes and it's scent doesn't linger, and the Stirling, while bright enough, lacks the neroli-esque undertone and then you get the with hazel base creep through.

For a fragrance pairing suggestion, I think Atelier Grand Neroli (or similar) is a good formal choice or evening out, while Dior Homme Cologne (or similar) would be a good choice for office or hot weather day use. To me, the scent of Agrumes falls pretty much in between these two (not as heavy as the AGN, not as airy as the DHC) so you could go either way.

Overall, glad to have purchased this. It's a welcome addition to the summer soap rotation.

I got mine (Citrus), today. As usual, the packaging was fantastic. Within the giant box of peanuts was a smaller shipping box, and within that box was a box of shaving soap wrapped in green tissue paper. A nice touch, for anyone actually purchasing the soap as a father's day gift.

The scent is very lemony with a kind of citronella or lemongrass vibe. It reminds me of furniture polish. As others have noted, it does not have the "MdC smell" that the other five soaps have. (Benzoin resin?) I'm not too fond of it, but that's alright, because I may trade it for another MdC soap, if I don't change my mind after having a few shaves.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 1.20.07 PM.png

Gimme my soap!

I used Agrumes again today. Fantastic, I love it. I don't get Pledge, Williams, or Arko from it. Just fresh zesty lemon, maybe a bit of grapefruit.

Good stuff!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The tracking number MdC provides also works in USPS tracking. You may find more concise information there.

Thanks for the tip, indeed it does! USPS shows package arrived locally today, estimated delivery tomorrow

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I received my Argumes sample today and I get very fresh & natural lemon scent. No lemon pledge, just sharp/ripe fresh lemon, very nice

Top Bottom