What's new

WCS Stainless Steel Razors

Looks like a decent lineup. Precision and quality should be spot on with input and design from
Charcoal Goods. Nice handle design concepts featuring iconic landmarks from the west coast. But, no option in head design, just straight bar. Would have been nice to offer them with an open comb option or semi hybrid like the R41. Decent price point at $155. I like WCS to be honest. Fine shaving goods at competitive prices and service is pretty darn good. I'll take a pass on this one though. An OC or Adjustable S/S razor? They'd have my attention...

Love the look. They lost me at "mild but efficient" . If it was a level 3 grade head well I'd have a tracking number.

Cheers
John

It's an interesting entry into an already crowded market for +$150 razors. At this price point, I think it will be tough to get folks to go for this over an ATT, Timeless, Feather, Wunderbar etc. Yes they teamed up with Charcoal Goods, but they miss on track record and, as noted above, on configurability. My guess is that a good part of Rockwell's success is due to their more moderate pricing. Consistent with WCS' new line of brushes which earn great reviews and are moderately priced, WCS should have gone with a competently executed "Weber" approach.

Last edited:
It's an interesting entry into an already crowded market for +$150 razors. At this price point, I think it will be tough to get folks to go for this over an ATT, Timeless, Feather, Wunderbar etc. Yes they teamed up with Charcoal Goods, but they miss on track record and, as noted above, on configurability. My guess is that a good part of Rockwell's success is due to their more moderate pricing. Consistent with WCS' new line of brushes which earn great reviews and are moderately priced, WCS should have gone with a competently executed "Weber" approach.

I didn't see specs on weight or length or diameter of the handles. and trying to figure out if its like level 1 or 2 if using CG system. From a few video reviews it's hard to get a true sense.

I would like a head only option. Lower spend to see if I like it and pair with my own handle.

I guess I will wait for a BST of one to try. My ATT R1 and Blackbird are hard to crowd out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent point. And as a previous poster here stated, this is just a "launch price" of $155. Then it goes up to their regular price of $180. Entry level is not an exact word per say to use, but it's in the ballpark. They might be beautifully machined pieces, but with the lack of some sort of customization, my interest is not piqued. There are more readily available products with that customization aspect already in play. But, we will see.

I didn't see specs on weight or length or diameter of the handles. and trying to figure out if its like level 1 or 2 if using CG system. From a few video reviews it's hard to get a true sense.

I would like a head only option. Lower spend to see if I like it and pair with my own handle.

I guess I will wait for a BST of one to try. My ATT R1 and Blackbird are hard to crowd out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It says here, towards the bottom, that the head has the same geometry as a Charcoal Goods head WCS + Charcoal Goods Safety Razor Collaboration. That of course means little as CG has several different heads: Brass heads come in levels 1,2, and 3, and they also have a "basic" head that is described as "slightly more aggressive than an Edwin Jagger 89." And plus one on the ATT. I have an R2 that I love.

It looks like a quite nicely executed razor, but at $155 I'd be expecting a bit more than that, let alone at $180. It lacks the "wow" factor to my eyes, and so needs options for different blade gaps, open comb, or perhaps a polished finish.

I did receive an email from WCS, I believe from Kevin. I posed the question if perhaps they would be considering any alternatives or options to their new S/S razor line. He definitely stated that it could be an option, but just further down the road. But they recieved numerous emails posing the same questions as to options or different levels of finish and more aggressive razor designs. So, there is hope in the near future. It's a new launch, testing the waters I guess. But I got the feeling through his email that options are a definite possibility. And with Charcoal Goods behind the engineering, I wouldn't doubt it.....

IMHO, they will need at least one more aggressive option. Addressing the price, if they made the nice wooden box a limited time offering maybe they would be able to price the razor lower after switching to the final packaging. I agree with a comment above that Rockwell's price is one of the reasons for their popularity. That isn't to say they aren't great razors as a great deal of testimony says they are very good.

I did receive an email from WCS, I believe from Kevin. I posed the question if perhaps they would be considering any alternatives or options to their new S/S razor line. He definitely stated that it could be an option, but just further down the road. But they recieved numerous emails posing the same questions as to options or different levels of finish and more aggressive razor designs. So, there is hope in the near future. It's a new launch, testing the waters I guess. But I got the feeling through his email that options are a definite possibility. And with Charcoal Goods behind the engineering, I wouldn't doubt it.....

Good to read this. I'm really liking the look of this line, but it would take a more aggressive option and perhaps a polished finish before I'd add one the den.

Good to read this. I'm really liking the look of this line, but it would take a more aggressive option and perhaps a polished finish before I'd add one the den.
+1 Agreed. OC or a more aggressive head design. Plus a polish finish would be icing on the cake. If it comes to that down the road, and pricing is relatively competitive it's definitely in my wheelhouse....

At $180, its really not that great of a deal when you consider that you could get an ATT or Timeless for the same amount of money.

Especially since they have greater options for configuration.

Sidepoint: Bullgoose currently is offering ATT for $150. Very tempting, but I think the kit would hit the mark for me, especially with a slant option. One day . . . when my RAD busting rational side is asleep . . .

Crowded market at the top end (aside from the Bullgoose offer, the Feather AS- D2 can now be had for as little as $130). WCS should have offered a good SS razor at a moderate price point. Would have IMHO been a home run.

PS: specs for weight are now up (I got another email and of course like a kid in a candy shop). But I think they have to correct them on their site - very doubtful the weight is as specified at 226 grams (8 oz).

Last edited:
Top Bottom