What's new

Tabac - the scent - not!

When I tried Tabac for the first time I too didn't care for the scent, however it worked so great I kept using it in my rotation. I don't like the expression, "You need to acquire a taste for it", as Jackie Mason said, “you don’t have to acquire a taste for a corned beef or pastrami sandwich, why because it tastes good.” But in this case I agree with that sentiment. The smell kinds of grows on you. I don’t find that it lingers at all. The bottom line for me is that this stuff works and I will continue to enjoy it in my rotation.
My 2cents
Dave

+3 -- not a great scent (for me) at all. But it's not horrid... just not worth using when there's so much Arlington and Fern in the world.

Cheers.

J

one of my first purchases after staring DE shaving was TABAC soap in the white bowl from Em's place. Just so you know, I am old enough to remeber TABAC when it was a super-sleazy disco scent, and my granddad wore it to impress the ladies.

i tried the soap two or three times, and I always felt a burning / tingling and the scent was damn near overpowering. I traded it away. My technique was so bad back then that I may have been feeling the reaction of bad razor burn to the soap, and not the soap itself. :confused:

LAt week, I bought some TABAC aftershave, which is not quite the same as the soap, and it lets me control the level of the scent a bit. So far, I am liking the AS more than the soap.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The best descriptor that I have seen so far is one B&B member describing Tabac as smelling like his Grandmother’s makeup drawer.

Just so you know, I am old enough to remeber TABAC when it was a super-sleazy disco scent, and my granddad wore it to impress the ladies.

:lol: Now, there are two totally opposite scents right there!!

Personally, the Tabac scent is something that is just okay ... I don't understand how anyone could hate it or love it ... but I guess that's just more proof that scent is personal.

BTW, this soap is sooooooo good, that I encourage you to try it and hopefully 'come around' to the scent.

The best descriptor that I have seen so far is one B&B member describing Tabac as smelling like his Grandmother’s makeup drawer.

I know exactly which member that said this, and I must agree with him. I don't think it's a bad smell, per se, but the scent doesn't boil me over. However, I think that the soap is outstanding and makes for a great shaving product. So I give it one thumb down and one up. :smile:

I think that the Tabac is okay; nothing special.

I'm always amazed, though, by those who criticize the Arko stick and then lavish praise on this dreck. :laugh:

-- John Gehman

The scent is a personal taste. I find it just okay, but whatever you do, try it out before you sell it. The performance of this soap in terms of lather is second to none.:smile:

I can really relate to your thoughts on the scent of Tabac. I thought it was so bad that I couldn't imagine how anyone could stand to put this on their face. But, with all the raves I had read about it, I kept trying. What I eventually discovered is that the scent dissipates with time. I left the cover off for several days and that pretty much took care of it. What's left is not offensive and might even be considered O.K. in my book. But what really amazed me is that I got such great shaves with it that it has become my everyday soap. No one could be more surprised with this than me. So, give it a try. The end result is worth it!

The performance of the soap is such that the scent can be overlooked by those find it unpleasant. As for me, I like the scent of Tabac SS and I love the EDC.

It eventually grew on me, now I love it. To me it's very leathery and smoky.

It does bring to mind the dark, wood-paneled, leather sofa'd, '70's living room after a night of drinking and smoking. Though I am too young to participate in the 70's, we DID have a dark, wood-paneled living room.

I love the way it lathers and shaves. But I only use it maybe once a month because of the scent. Its kept in my basement bathroom for a reason and that reason is the scent. I have many other products that lather just as well and smell soooo much better.

J

Jarmo P

I just cannot understand the whining about Tabac shaving soap scent. To me it is totally unoffending and I like it too. What it reminds me of if my memory does not fail is imperial leather bathing soap in scent. Perhaps when you first open the soap it is a bit strong, but after usage it soons mellows down and is not strong at all. And it certainly does not stay after the shave and rinses with warm and cold water.

Dudes, think about Arko or even think about Proraso green shaving cream for those things with offending smells.

Perhaps the mailperson, fedex, or ups driver was a smoker, and that is what you are smelling.

I just used some that I got yesterday and it is great.

Oh, come on! It's the soap! I tried and failed to force myself to like/tolerate/become immune to it. Traded off 1 new puck and two new tubes of SC. Now I'm just patiently awaiting the advent of it's new sibling, Irisch Moos. I did locate a tube of the SC from a european outlet The Dutch Shaving Shop, Mr. Paul Kox, and I am quite pleased with it. What I am waiting for is the soap/stick in addition to having it commonly offered for sale at all of the usual outlets. The lather, performance, cushion, and lubrication are absolutely top grade, it's just the Tabac fragrance that has a nauseating reaction, and I con't control it.

I just cannot understand the whining about Tabac shaving soap scent. To me it is totally unoffending ... Dudes, think about Arko or even think about Proraso green shaving cream for those things with offending smells.
We clearly are wired differently. I enjoy the scent of Proraso. Could use it every day.

Whereas I'm having difficulty even bringing the Tabac out of the box, let alone lather up with it.

Just put it on the b/s/t and it'll be gone before you know it.:biggrin: What would you like to trade for it, I could use a full puck of Tabac as all I have is a quickly dwindling sample?:wink:

Al

I was of a similar opinion when I first opened my Tabac, but the second day was less foul, the third day I actually didn't mind it, and afterwards I was sold. The scent has transformed remarkably in those few days of being open and used... I would even go so far as to say there is presently very little resemblance to the original dry scent whatsoever.

The performance speaks for itself.

QFT.

Wife immediately said "It smells like Camay!" when she first smelled it. 3 shaves with it later and we both like it. I find that it fades about an hour after my shave ends.

Top Bottom