What's new

Your go to cocktail

As simple as the title

What is your go to cocktail?

Please add your ingredients, and instructions for fun

May go to is a Whiskey (bourbon) Sour.

I tried a new variation (completely different drink?) last night.

It was 2:2:1 Bourbon:Lime:Triple Sec.

Shook with a half shaker of ice and served over ice. I've found a very little bit of whiskey goes a long way for me so the 2:2 ratio of lime and Bourbon hits the spot with me

Well it's hard for me to narrow it down completely to just one go to but I can list 2 that I find myself going to often. One has gin the other is bourbon.

NEGRONI
1 oz London Dry Gin
1 oz Campari
1 oz Sweet Vermouth

Pour in a mixing glass filled with ice, stir to dilute a bit and chill, strain and pour in an Old Fashioned glass over a big ice cube. Garnish with orange zest after expressing oils over the drink.
IMG_4854.jpg

BOULEVARDIER
This one is a variation off the Negroni and uses Bourbon or Rye in place of the Gin.
1 oz bourbon or rye
1 oz Campari
1 oz Sweet Vermouth
Pour in a mixing glass filled with ice, stir to dilute a bit and chill, strain and serve up in a coupe glass. Garnish with orange zest after expressing oils over the drink.
IMG_4459.jpg

Brandy Old Fashioned, sweet. I dont know why the rest of the world got the idea to use bourbon instead of brandy but you all dont know what youre missing.

A classic Martini. In a mixing glass filled with ice about six ice cubes 3 ounces of Gin (usually Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray) and 1/2 ounce of Noilly Pratt or similar dry Vermouth. Stir vigorously for about 30 seconds and pour in a chilled Martini glass and garnish with a Pimento-stuffed olive.

Vesper

3 oz Gin
1 oz Vodka
0.5 oz Lillet

Add all the ingredients to a mixing glass and fill with ice.

Stir, and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Twist a slice of lemon peel over the drink, rub along the rim of the glass and drop it in.

Gin and tonic - Gin and tonic mixed in a ratio that suits the drinker.

Manhattan -

2 oz. rye
1 oz. dry vermouth
1 oz. sweet vermouth
dash of bitters (Angostura or others)
Cherry garnish and served on the rocks

IMG_0085.JPG

Well, as you might be able to tell from my profile picture, I like a nice vodka martini. My general approach:

• Fill your glass with crushed ice and put aside
  • Fill your shaker 1/3 full of ice cubes
  • Measure out and add 2 large jiggers (3 oz) of high quality vodka (Belvedere and Tito's are good but really digging a local Idaho vodka from Koenig lately...and yes, it's made from potatoes)
  • Add a capful of dry vermouth (I prefer Dolin or Noily); yeah I know many will freak about adding that much but this "hint" of vermouth" thing is a relatively recent development
  • With a long bar spoon, stir exactly 42 times...why because 42 is the answer to everything
  • Discard the ice that has been chilling in your glass and strain your martini into it
  • Garnish with 2-3 blue cheese olives, preferably home made
  • Relax and Enjoy

Gin and Tonic

Highball glass filled with ice
2 shots of Tangueray
1 wedge of lime
Fill glass with Canada Dry Tonic Water

Vesper

3 oz Gin
1 oz Vodka
0.5 oz Lillet

Add all the ingredients to a mixing glass and fill with ice.

Stir, and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Twist a slice of lemon peel over the drink, rub along the rim of the glass and drop it in.

That's a great drink made popular by 007 himself.

Some of my favorite drinks don't turn out right if I measure.

Manhattan: In an ice filled glass add couple of glugs of rye or bourbon, a splash of sweet vermouth, a dash or three of bitters and a couple cherries. Stir.
Vodka martini: Keep vodka in the freezer. Put a little Lillet in the glass and pour frozen vodka on top. Swirl and enjoy.

The Seelbach...from the Louisville hotel of that name.
Bourbon, two different kinds of bitters (one being Peychaud's), triple sec, splash of champagne on top, twist of orange.

The cocktail (if you can call it that) that I will go to 99% of the time is the one preferred by James Bond himself.

Bourbon and soda.

Simple and refreshing. I never have to worry about it getting screwed up.

Bond may have had the preference for vodka martinis in the movies, but in the books, he drinks enough bourbon to drown a whale.

If I'm at a local joint, and the bartenders are chicks who sling beer and not really drink makers, I'll have a Beam and Diet Coke (or Squirt sometimes).

If I'm elsewhere, and drinks are truly made, I'll order one of three things ...

Vodka Dirty Martini
Old Fashioned - made with Rye, the way it's supposed to be. I love living in Wisconsin, but you can keep your Brandy Old Fashioneds ... no thanks.
Whatever catches my fancy from their "cocktail" menu.

Out: Probably a rye Manhattan, even if the place isn't really mixing drinks. The rye can be and hopefully is cheap stuff. Or even if the place is really mixing drinks, especially if the place is touting some special version of a Manhattan on a specialty drink menu. Or something else a place that should know what it is doing has on a specialty menu. The latter has only gone seriously wrong once that I can remember. Somewhat wrong from time to time.

Home: What we have been calling a Matador because that is what they call it at Amada's in Philly. A few pieces of excellent candied ginger muddled in 2 oz of rye (the 110 Pikesville is my favorite lately), between 1/2 oz or so of elderflower liqueur, juice of a smallish lemon, orange bitters; shaken not stirred; strained over rocks; garnished with a regular Maschino cherry and a biggish strip of orange zest twisted over the glass and or ran around the lip of the glass.

Manhattan at home would be 2 oz of rye, maybe 3/4 of Carpano Antica red vermouth' bitters, perhaps multiple kinds if they are handy; perhaps a bit of cherry "juice" as described below; stirred not shaken; strained into martini glass; garnished with dried sour cherries that have been soaked for a long time in cognac and sugar.

Re the "Matador" above--really need a better name as my house is not a Spanish restaurant and there is no particularly Spanish ingredient--I would not hesitate to top this drink off with some sparkling water, particularly if using some high test whiskey like the Pikesville 110. It is really intended to be somewhat thirst quenching and not to have the intensity of, say, a Manhattan. For that matter, I would just as soon have my Margaritas not be too strong, so long as they are not too sweet or too sour either. As I understand it in Mexico tequila is often 70 proof or even below. To me Manhattans and Martinis should be powerful, but that is not true of every cocktail. Hard to know where to draw the line though. I would say a Mai Tai, for instance, should be strong.

Old Fashioned at my place. Sugar cube in a rocks glass with enough Angostura bitters to turn it brown. Orange peel. Tiniest bit of water. Luxardo cherry. Muddle without bruising the cherry to dissolve the sugar and express the orange oil. Fill the glass with ice. Pour in two ounces of bourbon (Most days Buffalo Trace). Stir. Enjoy.

Second favorite: Sazerac with Baby Saz, Templeton, or Bulleit Rye, Herbsaint rinsed glass, sugar cube turned red by Peychaud's bitters, lemon peel. No ice, of course.

Top Bottom