What's new

Your go to cocktail

Any decent real bar with an actual bartender/mixologist...

old fashioned...or if they are known for craft cocktails I might pick a featured cocktail off their drink menu

Uncle whatshisname at a party or dive bar....bourbon...or beer...forget cocktails :)

At home, I tend to play around with recipes from my plethora of recipe books, but if not making a hobby of it, I tend toward gin and tonics or dark and stormies.

When out, I tend toward beer and wine unless I'm at a place with a real bartender and then I usually get the old classics - Manhattans, old fashioneds, sazeracs, etc....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I think I have switched to Negronis. At home, made with Camparo Antica vermouth and switching out Aperol for Campari to be a little less intense. Slice of orange rather than just a twist. Bombay Sapphire gin, I suppose, but I am not sure I am not liking Bluecoat better. There is lots of good gin in the world. Out, any old vermouth and gin, and probably Campari.

I am not finding it on their website, but as I recall when I was at the Bluecoat gin distillery in Philly, which has attached a great cocktail bar, they had any number of drinks involving essentially a base of gin and tonic plus some additional ingredients, which I thought worked. Hendricks has shown that cucumber and gin is a natural. I have found that herbs in drink are nice, whether muddled or made into a sugar syrup. Mint is classic, but basil and tarragon have their charms. So makes since to me that a traditional G&T can be tweaked with other things as a change up or better to a traditional G&T.

Seems to me that I like gin drinks, but my imagination has been unduly limited to martinis and G&Ts. A French 75 is a nice thing, too. I am thinking grapefruit, elderflower, and tarragon, would work as well with gin as it does with vodka, and it is wonderful with vodka! Of course there is the incomparable "gin and juice." Thanks, Snoop! (Actually, I suppose gin and juice is usually gin and orange juice or gin and grapefruit juice. I think I would rather have vodka for the former. I think gin is good with the latter!)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have never drank a cocktail! Not a single time in my life.
I have been wanting to try an Old Fashioned.
On our next visit to San Antonio I will give it a shot and report back.

Vodka and soda is an underrated drink, although I would not consider the lime optional. Titos is great.

<I have never drank a cocktail! Not a single time in my life.>

Well, Marty, Steward in The Speakeasy, welcome to the Speakeasy! You have whole worlds to explore. I envy you to have such new adventures ahead of you.

I have recently come back to rum and coke after having one at an excellent tapas place. However, Mexican Coke, a squeeze of fresh lime and a lime slice, a good dose of Angostura bitters, a cinnamon stick, and excellent amber rum! Extraordinary. I never would have thought cinnamon or bitters.

I have recently come back to rum and coke after having one at an excellent tapas place. However, Mexican Coke, a squeeze of fresh lime and a lime slice, a good dose of Angostura bitters, a cinnamon stick, and excellent amber rum! Extraordinary. I never would have thought cinnamon or bitters.
Well that there is one of dem faaaaaancy rum and cokes

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I think I may have misspoken:
When I think of a cocktail I think Old Fashioned, Martini, etc.
I enjoy my Elijah Craig with ginger ale on very hot days but I don't consider that a cocktail.
However, by definition it is considered a cocktail. So I stand corrected butt a better drinker for it.
I still want to try an old fashioned

Well that there is one of dem faaaaaancy rum and cokes
True that! I do not think I would "call" for it that way at a bar that was not serving it that way already!

The fancier version has led me back to drinking more streamlined rum and cokes, too. A classic drink, for sure. (I am told it was called a Cuba Libre, but I have never actually heard someone refer to it that way!)

The fancier version has led me back to drinking more streamlined rum and cokes, too. A classic drink, for sure. (I am told it was called a Cuba Libre, but I have never actually heard someone refer to it that way!)

I believe that lime changes a rum and coke into a Cuba Libre.

Top Bottom