What's new

So I finally got to smell Clubman for the first time on Monday.

Of course I see retailers online that sell it, but I've never been able to find it anywhere locally. Monday I was in the big city and knew of a barber and beauty supply store near where I was, so I made a point of wandering over that way to see if they had it. I looked around the store and saw some different displays of shaving products, but no Clubman. I then looked one aisle over and saw an entire endcap display with Clubman aftershaves, and tester bottles. I opened the Pinaud bottle and gave it a sniff....

REALLY?

That's what all the fuss is about? I don't even know how I would describe that. I thought the Special Reserve was a litte nicer, comparatively speaking, and the Bay Rum was a little nicer again, and the Lilac Veg...what the hell is that?

Ok, so I'm being a little cheeky, but it just wasn't what I was expecting at all. I'm not quite sure what the appeal is with it. Maybe I could learn to appreciate it, and maybe I'll even try a bottle for the sake of a few bucks, but it just wasn't what I thought it would be.

Last edited:
a) Get it out of the plastic and into glass; b) apply to face; c) allow your skin to marinate in it for about 15-30 mins.; d) experience the magic that is...PINAUD CLUBMAN--the classic of classics.

To a generation of men born up through 1970 (and possibly 1980) Pinaud Clubman is the scent of visiting a barber shop and getting a nice, clean haircut finished off with some Pinaud Clubman talc. At least that's what it means to me.

For the price, give it try! My humble opinion? Buy Pinaud Clubman, Special Reserve & the Virgin Island Bay Rum. You won't regret it. Not sure what the prices are but in my neck of the woods in Long Island, NY I can purchase all 3 of them for less than $20 at Walgreens. The original is available in stores but the other 2 can be ordered online and delivered to my local Walmart for pickup at no extra charge.

To a generation of men born up through 1970 (and possibly 1980) Pinaud Clubman is the scent of visiting a barber shop and getting a nice, clean haircut finished off with some Pinaud Clubman talc. At least that's what it means to me.

For the price, give it try! My humble opinion? Buy Pinaud Clubman, Special Reserve & the Virgin Island Bay Rum. You won't regret it. Not sure what the prices are but in my neck of the woods in Long Island, NY I can purchase all 3 of them for less than $20 at Walgreens. The original is available in stores but the other 2 can be ordered online and delivered to my local Walmart for pickup at no extra charge.

I was born in 1977 and went to traditional barber shops as a kid, but that's not a scent I feel familiar with. Maybe I've just forgotten it? Who knows....

I was born in 1977 and went to traditional barber shops as a kid, but that's not a scent I feel familiar with. Maybe I've just forgotten it? Who knows....

I think the Clubman Talc is closer for me, but the aftershave is right up there. I find it to be a more mature scent (most people say it smells like an old man) but I enjoy it and use it regularly.

It's a nostalgic thing for me; reminds me of when my father would take me to the barbers for a haircut. Hated it at the time, but would love to be able to do it again now.

Clubman reminds me of when I was a young kid and the barber slapped lotion on the back of my neck after the haircut. Of course a hair cut was .50 cents then.

Clubman is barbershop scent to me too. Also, my one of my best friends growing up used Canoe deodorant, which is very similar.

Exactly.

Smelling them out of a plastic bottle is not the best. You may not like any of them, but they are all pretty cheap to try. Most of them are sweeter or powdery smelling. The SR is definitely different from the bunch. The bay rum is liked by many people.

Clubman soap reminds me of when you first walk into get a haircut in the barber shop and Clubman AS reminds me of just after when the barber hits you with the brush and talc... I will say the AS can be just a little overpowering for those that aren't used to the aroma...

I think the Clubman Talc is closer for me, but the aftershave is right up there. I find it to be a more mature scent (most people say it smells like an old man) but I enjoy it and use it regularly.

When I think of a mature scent, I think of Old Spice....and pee.

:laugh:

That's what all the fuss is about?
and the Lilac Veg...what the hell is that?
Rub a good palm full all over your face and you'll immediately know what all the fuss is about! Then again, if you're sharing your home with anyone and you're not one of the chosen, you're going to end up sleeping outside until it wears off! :tongue_sm

The whole Clubman subject matter is humorous to me (in a good way). It does smell like the barber shop I went to as a kid until I was old enough to be able to go somewhere else.

The haircuts received there did make you feel like a dork until you went home to shower. They cut the hair too wide around the ears and shaved the hair up the neck too closely. The powder slapped on at the end of the session smelled OK.

This forum seems to really love Clubman. When I first joined I bought most of them and spent much time trying to like them as everyone said I would. :)

Here are my YMMV findings :) These aftershaves don't smell any differently out of a glass bottle than they do out of a plastic bottle. If you have to spend weeks to learn to like a certain aftershave...it isn't for you. If you have to put an aftershave on your face for 30 minutes before you'll like it...it isn't for you.

Still, I'll agree that the Bay Rum is decent and Special Reserve is different and is better after it's applied and Clubman Classic does smell like that barber shop.

The rest of the scents are bordering on putrid no matter how long you try to like them. After several months I tossed most of mine but kept the 3 I mentioned. I rarely use them however but I rarely use aftershave of any kind to be honest.

Top Bottom