What's new

Who likes Mead?

I don't drink a lot of alcoholic beverages other than a sip of nice tequila or when we pass the jar of apple pie around. Lately though I've gotten into meads. I don't know much about them, basically I just go to the bottle shop close to my job and pick out a bottle that intrigues me. Today I picked up a bottle of Redstone Meadery honey wine with blueberry puree and a bottle of B Nektar Devil's Juice. I haven't tried either yet and I have a family oyster cook this Saturday so I figure we'll give them a taste.

Anyone else like mead? What are your favorites?

Mead isn't my immediate drink of choice, because it's a bit on the sweet side for my palate
Having said that, Cornish Mead is part of my heritage
My 84 year old Dad is a Cornishman through and through, and I was born in Dereford General Hospital in Plymouth because it happened to be closest to Liskeard, where my parents were running the Barley Sheaf.
So being born into the pub trade, and being what is known colloquially as a "Pretend Cornishman", Cornish Mead is as much in my DNA as Cornish Pasties
Whenever I drank it, I always enjoyed it, but it's not my drink of choice........
Although I'm Devon born, and grew up in Somerset, Scrumpy Cyder is also in my DNA - But I prefer beer

Last edited:
I have tried it because my son likes it and has made his own. In fact, he is embarking on becoming a beekeeper to have his own honey to use. So far, I have not been able to develop a taster for it. Maybe that will change in the future.

Viking Blod is quite good. It has hibiscus and hops in it. 19% and still means a bottle lasts for a while. The Dansk Mjod company makes quite a few kinds. I've only had Viking Blod and the one with ginger. Both are excellent.
I've had Iqhilika with Birds Eye Chili. It was very interesting and it might be fun to split a bottle, but it wasn't something I'd drink regularly.
I don't know what brand, but my favorite lower alcohol mead was always just tej that I'd get when I'd eat Ethiopian food. Still, sweet, and a touch bitter. It always seemed to go quite well with the food.

Can't say that I've ever had it. Is it like an ale? Beer? It sounds like it is expensive. Why is that? Let's have the run down on it because I'd love to know what it is?:biggrin1:

Inspiration rec'd!

I had received this bottle for my b-day last summer, have been waiting to open it. In about an hour or two it will be dessert time (slightly uncomfortable at the moment...due to aggressive eating) - then the mead will flow

$IMG_3030.jpg

The only mead I have had is Viking Blod. It's not bad; good enough that my brother-in-law and I finished off a couple of bottles over Christmas last year. It isn't sweet, the hibiscus makes it interesting I think.

Can't say that I've ever had it. Is it like an ale? Beer? It sounds like it is expensive. Why is that? Let's have the run down on it because I'd love to know what it is?:biggrin1:

Its made by fermenting honey. I tend to like the un-carbonated types best. Price range varies. The Devil's Juice seemed to be a hit at the oyster cook. The label says honey pineapple wine with smoked pineapple and chili peppers. It was quite good. Sweet in the beginning but the with a little kick of pepper to balance it on the end. If you get the chance, you should try some.

Its made by fermenting honey. I tend to like the un-carbonated types best. Price range varies. The Devil's Juice seemed to be a hit at the oyster cook. The label says honey pineapple wine with smoked pineapple and chili peppers. It was quite good. Sweet in the beginning but the with a little kick of pepper to balance it on the end. If you get the chance, you should try some.
Thank you!

Mead is awesome! Provably my favorite drink.

Chaucer's is OK, tastes a bit like white wine. Kind of expensive.

My absolute favorite is Honeywood mead from Oregon. No wine taste, just nice honey taste. And at $12 a bottle, it's a great value for mead!

There's a good local mead here too from the Pirtle winery.

Always wanted to try making it myself. One day I will.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Mead is awesome! Provably my favorite drink.

Chaucer's is OK, tastes a bit like white wine. Kind of expensive.

My absolute favorite is Honeywood mead from Oregon. No wine taste, just nice honey taste. And at $12 a bottle, it's a great value for mead!

There's a good local mead here too from the Pirtle winery.

Always wanted to try making it myself. One day I will.
My wife and neighbor are bee keepers. He makes mead. She and I don't drink, really, but I keep telling him I'd like to taste it. One time I was at a bee keepers meeting thingy with my wife. I was late, having come from work, and all the mead was gone! So I missed my chance to sample mead. I'll probably try it at Christmas time if we walk over there. He's an awesome guy, retired Navy. Hardest working man I know!

Top Bottom