What's new

The Samuel Adams Brewery

So being a relatively new resident of the Boston area and having a grad school budget, I decided to tour the Samuel Adams R&D brewery the two weekends ago when my SWSBO (S for Should not Must, since we aren't married) came to visit... we had a great time, despite getting there for the first tour of the day at 9:40AM... If you go on the Brewery tour, make sure you get the earliest one called the "Morning Mash-In tour" and it's the only tour of the day you can reserve your spot online for. Trust me, there is a good reason for that, and the Saturday Morning Mash-In is often reserved fully up to a month in advance... luckily for me they take a limited number of walk-ons every time. Anyway, the tour was great and you feel like you've learned so much about beer, hops, malted barley, and yeast that you could walk out and brew your own beer with the snap of your fingers... the tour guides were phenomenal and kept the crowd laughing (which I'm sure is hard to do at 9:40 AM on a Saturday, but maybe less so since everyone knew they were getting free beer after.)... finally, they take us to this back room and give everyone an "official" Sam Adams 5oz tasting glass (pics to come) and lead you through an official beer-tasting review for their Boston Lager. After you have your fill of the Lager (they encourage you to drink as much of it as you want), they break out the Seasonal beer... the first time I went was Octoberfest... they let you go buck-wild at that point and let you try that for a while occasionally adding some humorous commentary and telling you a bit about the beer. Next, which from what I understand is exclusive to the Morning Mash-In, they break out a special experimental beer they're working on, followed by one of their specialty beers that is pretty much exclusively available in their gift shop as well as very select bars in the area. Needless to say I got a nice buzz and had such a nice time that I took my father there the next weekend when he came to visit! And Lo and behold, as if by some great miracle, they had changed up the tasting beers! Those were as follows:

Trip One:

Boston Lager--decent, was my very first Sam Adams beer EVER... like literally this one on the tour was. Gorgeous clarity, beautiful amber color, could smell the hops coming off of it but not too strongly, pretty light-bodied
Octoberfest-- deeper amber to red tint, VERY good.. probably my favorite of the day. Pretty light, but definitely closer to medium-bodied than the lager I believe
Oyster Stout-- Very Dark, nearing black... didn't try this one because unfortunately it is restricted by my diet (I keep kosher and it was prepared with shellfish) when I asked others at my table what they thought they said "it's interesting but I don't think I'd ever order it"
Boston Brick Red-- Brick Red, lol. This beer is only sold in Boston, not anywhere else in the world, and has typically only ever been sold by the keg to bars and pubs that have been loyal Sam Adams customers from the beginning... it's pretty good, and the carbonation is low... not a "flat" low, just low. It's really pretty good, but the mouthfeel was totally different because of the lack of carbonation, which threw me off a bit... I was lucky enough to be there right after they had Bottled it for the first time ever. They said that it may never get bottled again.

Trip Two:

Boston Lager-- Always gotta start with the original!
Winter Lager-- Loved it!! Had a phenomenal taste! Deeper almost redish color, great mouth feel, and as someone who doesn't like wheat-y beers, this was a perfect lager choice
Lemon Wheat Pale Ale--Surprisingly flavorful! I typically don't like pale ales but with that in mind this one was really good! Similar in looks to a corona or land shark but with better flavor, IMHO.
KMF-- KMF (or Kosmic Mother Funk) was by far the most interesting of all of them... it was arguably the most sour beer available (or should I say unavailable since it's likely near impossible to get at this point) that had almost no carbonation and tasted almost spot-on like red wine! It was super interesting, but I tend to really dislike red wine so this was REALLY not for me... it was the only one of the six beers that I tried which I had to have them dump out for me :(

*the name was something like that but I can't remember what it was exactly...

Anyway, it was really a great time and I ended up going a little over-budget in the gift shop, picking up a $12 64oz growler of octoberfest and a $15 pint bottle of the Boston Brick Red, since it was limited edition. We also got to keep the tasting glasses! They also have a deal with a bar around the corner where you can show them your ticket for the tour, buy a Sam Adams beer, and give you one of the specially engineered Sam Adams glasses for free. I did that on my second trip, although I didn't even come close to finishing the beer.. it was only 11 am lol. Overall, very successful trip(s)!

$IMG_6143.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting article. I like the Winter Lager as well as the original. You are not missing anything with the Oyster Stout. I tried it a few years ago. As I recall, it had a strong chocolate taste - something I don't like in a beer.

That's a great tour.
For contrast, I would recommend going up to Merrimack, NH (about 45 minutes from Boston) and going on the Anheuser-Busch brewery tour. I'm not a big fan of their beers, but it's pretty impressive -- the scale of production is kind of mind-blowing. It gives you an appreciation of how much work goes into making a perfectly consistent product at the volume the work at. (And whether you like it or not, it is exactly the same every single time and that's pretty amazing.)
And of course, you do get some samples. (hey free beer -- even theirs -- can't be bad...)
Plus, they have the Clydesdale's there - some days they even have "photo ops" - and the horses are really pretty cool.
Also since AB was taken over by InBev, their onsite "beer garden" restaurant has a lot more choices than just Budweiser, etc., and is not a bad place to get some food and maybe take in part of a game on TV.

Nice you're new to the area, I'd encourage you to explore the area -- there are lots of good breweries, wineries and distilleries around that can be fun and fairly cheap excursions.

That's a great tour.
For contrast, I would recommend going up to Merrimack, NH (about 45 minutes from Boston) and going on the Anheuser-Busch brewery tour. I'm not a big fan of their beers, but it's pretty impressive -- the scale of production is kind of mind-blowing. It gives you an appreciation of how much work goes into making a perfectly consistent product at the volume the work at. (And whether you like it or not, it is exactly the same every single time and that's pretty amazing.)
And of course, you do get some samples. (hey free beer -- even theirs -- can't be bad...)
Plus, they have the Clydesdale's there - some days they even have "photo ops" - and the horses are really pretty cool.
Also since AB was taken over by InBev, their onsite "beer garden" restaurant has a lot more choices than just Budweiser, etc., and is not a bad place to get some food and maybe take in part of a game on TV.

Nice you're new to the area, I'd encourage you to explore the area -- there are lots of good breweries, wineries and distilleries around that can be fun and fairly cheap excursions.

I appreciate that you included "fairly cheap" since I have no money lol! I'm definitely looking to explore over the next few years!

Phenomenal tour I agree. The only place where you can have a cold Sam Adams across from a cold a Sam Adams.... if you can make the drive the Yuengling tour in Pennsylvania is also a great one.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Sounds like a good time! There are all sorts of breweries in and around Boston.

We had a good tour at Harpoon, a few years back. Cambridge Brewing Company is a brewpub with great food and beer.

Cheers!

I haven't been drinking very much beer, lately, but Sam Adams has always been one of my favorites. I used to pick up a variety pack of their beers, each season. For Fall, Octoberfest and Harvest Pumpkin are my favorites. For Winter, there used to be a Chocolate Bock, that was incredible. Unfortunately, I think that they have permanently discontinued it. :(

+1 to the [MENTION=5413]langod[/MENTION] suggestion of visiting the Anheuser-Busch brewery. I don't like their beer at all (even for free) but as noted making identical beers all across the world with different inputs is no small feat. It is perhaps more a model of industrial chemistry than brewing but still something that should be seen.
I suggest a visit to the Smuttynose brewery in Hampton, NH. That brewery is only a few years old, I haven't visited it yet (I was at their old brewery in Portsmouth). Smutty is sort of a medium-sized craft brewery. Boston Beer Co/Sam Adams is the largest brewing company that might be identified as craft.
You also should hit some of the much smaller but highly regarded Massachusetts breweries like Trillium (Canton), Tree House (Monson) and Night Shift (Everett). Do your homework before you go. Don't expect tours. Do expect to stand in line. Do expect to pay more.
Eventually you might want to drive up and visit the Southern Maine craft beer scene.

I had the opportunity to tour Sam Adams in April for a friends bachelor party. What I enjoyed most is that they will sell growlers of experimental beer. I got a heavy porter aged in McCallan barrels. It was delicious and unique. I don't think they'll ever run that one into production so that was cool.

Zach, welcome to Boston.

Glad that you found Sam Adams, it's a great tour. It's been a few years, but my wife and I used to hit Sam's often when relatives would come visit from out of town. The Beer was always great, the tour guides are informative and entertaining.

The Sam Adams brewery in Jamaica Plain is their first location once Jim Koch moved it out of his kitchen. It's location was in the old Hoffenreffer brewery, which filled the hole mill. Jamaica Plain was once a brewery mecca having many German immigrants and good spring water. Prohibition did most of them in, Hoeffenreffer was the one survivor.

The trolley is offered on weekends (again it's been a few years) and was set up as a courtesy to Doyle's a 100 year plus pub, that has the distinction of being the first bar who ordered a keg of Sam Adam's. When Koch set up brewery tour, he did a favor to Doyles by setting up them up with a lot business.

I'm very fond of Brighton, up until the 1980's my grandparents lived on Brock Street.

Zach, welcome to Boston.

Glad that you found Sam Adams, it's a great tour. It's been a few years, but my wife and I used to hit Sam's often when relatives would come visit from out of town. The Beer was always great, the tour guides are informative and entertaining.

The Sam Adams brewery in Jamaica Plain is their first location once Jim Koch moved it out of his kitchen. It's location was in the old Hoffenreffer brewery, which filled the hole mill. Jamaica Plain was once a brewery mecca having many German immigrants and good spring water. Prohibition did most of them in, Hoeffenreffer was the one survivor.

The trolley is offered on weekends (again it's been a few years) and was set up as a courtesy to Doyle's a 100 year plus pub, that has the distinction of being the first bar who ordered a keg of Sam Adam's. When Koch set up brewery tour, he did a favor to Doyles by setting up them up with a lot business.

I'm very fond of Brighton, up until the 1980's my grandparents lived on Brock Street.
Thank you for the welcome! I'm sure I'll be back soon as I seem to be making a habit of it... :lol:

GREAT REPORT! Thanks! :thumbup:
Thank you for your appreciation!

Great review! I need to get up there once I'm back East. Being from PA, Yuengling was the big name nearby, and that's a must-see tour! I love Sam Adams seasonal variety packs, rarely a dud in the bunch.

I haven't been drinking very much beer, lately, but Sam Adams has always been one of my favorites. I used to pick up a variety pack of their beers, each season. For Fall, Octoberfest and Harvest Pumpkin are my favorites. For Winter, there used to be a Chocolate Bock, that was incredible. Unfortunately, I think that they have permanently discontinued it. :(

They sneak the chocolate bock into their holiday pack! I like that pack because it has only two IPAs that I have to give away, the rest are pretty good. This year was ginger beer, winter ale (really nice), regular SA (why?), chocolate bock (delicious), the IPA, and something else I'm forgetting, maybe Fizziwig? I wish they did 3x4s or even 4x3s rather than 2x6 so I could get more of the ones I want, especially since so few of the seasonal packs ever see light of day as a 6 pack.

Top Bottom