What's new

Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum

Has anyone tried this (Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum)? What are your thoughts? Found it on the shelf at Bartell's Drug in Tacoma, and was curious. Of course their packaging prevents trying the scent.

Last edited:
Never tried it. I've read comparisons to Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey scent and that it burns pretty well when applied.

Yes. I dumped it. I did not want to smell like it. There's just too much stuff in it and I think it's more like a cologne, and a cheap one at that. I'll probably get pounced on by posting this; a lot of folks around here like it.... I did not. A good bay rum in my opinion consists of water, alcohol, and distilled bay oil... very minimalist... Dominica and Grand Bay come to mind.

You won't go broke buying it, and if you don't like it, other members here would gladly take it. There a better bay rums; trust me.

Don

I'm not a huge fan. I added menthol to mine and I like it better, but it's still a bit too much clove scent for my taste. I think I end up smelling like a cooked ham when I where it. I'm a huge fan of several other Pinaud splashes, but the Bay Rum from Avon is my favorite.

Has anyone tried this (Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum)? What are your thoughts? Found it on the shelf at Bartell's Drug in Tacoma, and was curious. Of course their packaging prevents trying the scent.

On this forum the better question would be who hasn't tried it! If you do a search for VIBR in the aftershave forum, the results should be abundant. I like it alot although I like all the Clubman aftershaves. Clubman VIBR is a great starter bay rum that lead me to Captain's Choice and Ogallala. VIBR has a great alcohol burn but the longevity is no more than an hour so it really can't be classified as an aftershave/cologne.

It was the first Bay Rum that I purchased. Heavy on the clove and burn. I like it and more importantly my wife likes it. Still not for everyone I suppose. I typically pair it with WSP Rustic Shaving Soap Blackbeard scent to feel like a pirate a few times a month - Argh!

Bay Rums are like whiskys with delightfull differences to tease the palate. Pinauds is the blend you buy in the supermarket by the gallon for $19.99

After a really close shave with a nick or cut or two or three and there's nothing like it. Once you pick yourself up off of the floor from the kick of the alcohol burn, the scent is a wonderful reward. That alcohol burn is what's missing in Captain's Choice and Ogallala, although Ogallala's Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorns is a real treat. Too bad both VIBR and Limes and Peppercorns aren't released in cologne or edt strength.
Ogallala does have a double strength version of their regular bay rum cologne, though.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Whaaaaat?!

ah, in the event you don't like it, remember it's a component in the Bootleggers Bay Rum blend ... Finest and best use of the stuff.

you just gave to get two other cheap bay rums to make up the Bootleggers.

AA

I don't generally use aftershaves but I like it well enough. I have some. I have Clubman, VIBR and Special Reserve. I think I could use VIBR and get into a small, heated car with others and it wouldn't be a problem. With Special Reserve and maybe even Clubman it might be a problem.

Does clove really offend anyone?

Big fan of the vibr, it smells heavy of cloves and cinnamon and has a very pleasant burn 😲. I find that the scent lingers for an hour or two with the cinnamon coming through more so in the end.
I suggest that you put it in a glass bottle as I found that the scent improves when decanted... Something about the plastic bottle that can make it smell slightly skunky.

I used it today. I like just about all bay rums but VIBR is not my favorite. It has a little too much clove or something else for me. I prefer VIBR mixed 50/50 with Master BR or 33/33/33 with Master and Superior 70,

proxy.php

A classic for a reason. I much prefer it in cool to cold weather. It feels like I'm enveloped in a warm blanket when I have it on. I use it at least weekly from late fall to early spring.

Big fan of the vibr, it smells heavy of cloves and cinnamon and has a very pleasant burn . I find that the scent lingers for an hour or two with the cinnamon coming through more so in the end.
I suggest that you put it in a glass bottle as I found that the scent improves when decanted... Something about the plastic bottle that can make it smell slightly skunky.

The scent lasts for you for an hour or two? I never get more than an hour and that's even when I rub it over my hairy arms. My skin must be like a sponge! :lol: I completely agree about decanting into a glass bottle.

Before buying, check the Walgreens deals on a regular basis. They charge $7.99 for the 12 oz. large bottle and the 20-25% off coupon codes should be starting pretty soon. The large bottle will probably cost anywhere from $6 to $6.50 with FREE SHIP TO STORE (which they recently started to offer).

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/p...sland-bay-rum-fragrance/ID=prod395725-product

I used it today. I like just about all bay rums but VIBR is not my favorite. It has a little too much clove or something else for me. I prefer VIBR mixed 50/50 with Master BR or 33/33/33 with Master and Superior 70,

Master Bay Rum and Superior 70 are very hard to find. The latter is almost impossible to find in the stores and Amazon 3rd party sellers mark it up about 200%. Master Bay Rum can be ordered from the barber supply sites, but w/o building up a larger order, the shipping fees make it cost ineffective.

A classic for a reason. I much prefer it in cool to cold weather. It feels like I'm enveloped in a warm blanket when I have it on. I use it at least weekly from late fall to early spring.

I'm going to have to throw a bit in a small plastic atomizer bottle. Maybe that will lengthen the longevity of the skin scent.

Top Bottom